Friday, March 30, 2007

Counting Blessings

I've been feeling a little blue. That's actually a really good color for me, but it's not a spiritual state that I enjoy. So despite the fact that everything that is making me blue is completely unchanged, I am going to gut up and count my blessings.

1 Every day The Child and I take a classmate to school. She's from Kenya and she and her mom live in a subsidized apartment complex that's run by the Church. She's a sweet girl and she and The Child have become friends. We've been providing transportation for her for about 2 months now but I'd never met her mother. Today she came out to meet me.

I got out of the car to shake her hand and she took me in her arms, planted a kiss on one cheek, hugged me, then kissed the other cheek. She doesn't speak much English but she kept saying "Thank you, thank you" with a beaming face. It was really sweet.

2. I was chatting up the grocery clerk at my first shopping stop. I do that sort of thing. The woman mentioned that people had been really rude so far this morning. I told her that when I'm Queen of the World eveyone will be required to work for a time with the public because all too often people have no idea what it's like on the other side of the counter or table, that if they did they would be a little more patient and forgiving. She thought that was a great idea. We chatted some more and when my transaction was complete she said, "I wish everyone was as nice as you, m'am". It made me a little varklempt.

3. It isn't raining.

4. So far today nothing has broken, flooded, bent, fallen over or been chewed by The Dog.

5. People from Idaho are threatening (in a good way) to come to my birthday party.

6. There are so many yummy leftovers in the freezer that I bought hardly anything at the grocery store today. More money to spend on the Easter feast. Yippee.

7. The Neighbor is a really good friend.

8. The Spouse was extra specially sweet to me last night. And he's making dinner tonight.

9. JP is a really good uncle. The other night I was writing an email (to him, as a matter of fact) and The Child was on the phone with The Boyfriend making arrangements for his birthday party on Saturday.

"When do I have to be home?" she asked. Preoccupied as I was I said, "I don't know. Midnight."

Which immediately launched me into Most Excellent Mom EVER status. Which I told him about.
He replied along the lines of "Wait just a minute. You just told her she can stay out until midnight. What happens when she's dating someone we don't like?" (I love that "we"). He was absolutely right, of course, so the next morning I immediately rectified the situation, telling her that this was a one time only thing and not to be considered a precedent. After I explained what "precedent" meant, she was jiggy with it. Dodged that bullet. It takes a village. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

10. Jon makes me laugh even when I don't feel like it.

11. I am not Alberto Gonzales.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger TWISI opined...

12 - 14... You are not MRS. Karl Rove, George W. Bush or Dick Cheney.

March 30, 2007 12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

And suddenly I have become "the worst uncle in the world." Wah wah.

Cheer up soon, because I said so, although blue does look good on you.

March 30, 2007 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I heart you too Nayb -

xo nayb

March 30, 2007 1:40 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Shudder. Eew. Can you imagine? Especially the Mrs. Karl Rove. Eeww.

'K, Poodle. Oh, and your Most Exalted Uncle status is still intact. We're working on the theme song.

Smooch, Neighb.

March 30, 2007 1:52 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Aww. Now I'm varklempt.
I'll bet you DO look fab in blue.

March 30, 2007 2:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Brings out my eyes.

March 30, 2007 4:04 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Our coming to your party is not even a veiled threat....we are promising to do our best to show up. My husband has erzillion's of FF miles and hotel freebies...Gina is the little tiny pebble in the shoe. We will have to figure out something and I may be a better storyteller than she is. Sometimes you post stories that make my heart ache, Lorraine

March 30, 2007 6:53 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, that Gina. You whip her into shape, will you? And a hot water bottle and a little arnica and that ache will fade. (thanks)

March 30, 2007 7:03 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

..(insert Louis Armstrong's version of,"What a wonderful world" here).
Life is good in lorraine's Domain.. :)

March 30, 2007 9:40 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

#15. Sling.

March 30, 2007 10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Sometimes, but mostly when I'm drunk, just the fact that I know of Lorraine and Sling makes me feel like that is enough.

But mostly I'm just drunk.

March 30, 2007 10:46 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Here, Poodle. Have some cake.

March 31, 2007 8:21 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

good save with the midnight thing!

March 31, 2007 12:15 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hey Mouse! Welcome back. How was your trip?

March 31, 2007 12:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

This is great. I do a gratitude list regularly to remind me of what I have going for me.

What a great tool.

March 31, 2007 6:00 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I am also a person from Idaho. Unfortunately, I live in DC. So I must send my regrets. Which is very sad and not really a blessing to count, but hey -- if not for Alan, I might never have met you, so that's two blessings right there, if you think about it.

April 01, 2007 1:11 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Gratitude rocks.

Come on, Red. You can get a flight from DC to Seattle. Silly boy.

April 01, 2007 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home