Thursday, December 14, 2006

Where Did the Time Go?

It's not like I haven't known that Christmas was approaching. The Advent wreath on our dining table will tip me off if nothing will. I have Christmas cards and wrapping paper. But aside from hanging a wreath on the door and buying the tree, I haven't done a lick of preparation. And this morning I realized, "Sheesh. It's Thursday. I have to bake a dozen eggnog cakes!" (My traditional gift to the faculty and staff at school).

I think it didn't quite feel like Christmas was coming because for a while there, it looked like we weren't going to have any guests for Christmas dinner. Everyone who usually comes is going out of town or is recently married and spending it with in-laws. I was pragmatic. Life happens. Traditions evolve and change. Just because no one was coming this year didn't mean no one would ever come again. And yet. We've had Christmas parties with just four guests, Christmas parties with a dozen. But Christmas with just us? The Spouse was positively boo-boo faced about it. At first I thought that was a little insulting. What? The Child and I aren't good enough? But last night he explained that he was afraid if it was just us then we'd be too lacksidaisical about it. That we wouldn't make a fuss and it wouldn't really feel like Christmas. I totally got that.

But the good news is that one family which always joins us is in fact joining us again this year. Yippee. There are some neighbors who might be coming as well. (Not The Neighbor, though, as she'll be in Montana with her loin fruit). And it looks like this year we'll have goose and who doesn't love a nice roasted goose at Christmas? Oh, the joy. Plus, The Bride (who will hereafter be known as Seattle Coffee Girl) and her Prince will be joining us for dessert because, as she put it in an email, "We'll be spending the whole day with his family. I should get to be with my family, too". Awwwww.

So the party is on. There will be splendid food and revelry and Christmas crackers, lights and music and kids oohing over presents and all the other little touches that make Christmas night not just like any other night. Somehow, knowing that we're "on" after all was just the dose of spirit I needed. Now I can starting baking and write out some cards while the cakes are in the oven. Tomorrow I start Christmas shopping in earnest, with the annual coffee-shopping-lunch extravaganza with the Coffee Moms.

Whoopee! Here comes Christmas!

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

very nice post. Just don't say Loin Fruit ever again

December 14, 2006 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Eric's comment caused me to straight out guffaw...because when I originally read the post, my brain saw "Loin Fruit" but it told me "Pork Loin" and I had to reread the sentence to get it.

So, I might second his suggestion. Only because my feeble mind so sorely misinterpretted it.

December 14, 2006 10:21 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Eric, Loin fruit, loin fruit!

Dana: Pork loin, pork loin!

December 14, 2006 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

The owner of the loin thirds the aforementioned suggestion. The fruit would no doubt fourth it.

December 14, 2006 11:11 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Neighbor, Loin Fruit! Loin Fruit!

December 14, 2006 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

BRING IT, LT! Loin fruit and all...I love it!

DF and I talked more about it last night, and we're definitely in like flynn for the after-main-course revelry!

I can almost hear the Allelujah's and Gloria's now...can't wait!!!

December 14, 2006 11:37 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ah, see, someone appreciates the classics. (And whoo to the hoo on you're joining us...wouldn't quite be a party without you!)

December 14, 2006 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Lol, I seen that phrase as I read down the page but didn't know where it had come from until I read this post :P

December 14, 2006 5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home