Wednesday, December 13, 2006

OJ Simpson. Not a Jew.

You've probably heard about this by now, because nothing plays in Peoria like a good "culture wars" story.

The way I read it, the Port decided to remove their Christmas tree display, which they've been doing for 10 years, because the rabbi said, "Put up a menorah or I'll sue". Point number one, he can say all he wants about not trying to interfere with Christmas but the words, "I'll sue" are fighting words. If I'm in a disagreement with someone and they threaten a lawsuit, it's pretty clear we aren't going to be able to work the situation out like reasonable grownups. The Port's lawyers basically said, "Yeah. You have an obligation to be inclusive. And that means inclusive of all traditions". So, at the busiest travel time of the year the Port decided, screw it. They'd take down the trees so the rabbi wouldn't sue and take the time, when they had the time, to develop a display that would make everybody happy.

The situation has now gotten completely out of hand, with people saying hateful things about Jews stealing Christmas and the Jewish community being put on the defensive and all sorts of general nuttiness that is exactly the sort of thing I hate about this time of year. Have I mentioned that I think "political correctness" is a bunch of hooha? It seems to me that if everyone would just do unto others as they'd like it done unto them, we wouldn't need to walk on eggshells all the time. But there you go.

I generally try to ignore all this stuff. I understand why public schools don't have Christmas pagents anymore and why people who aren't Christian get annoyed by the constant onslaught of Christmas music and symbols and all. I really do. I don't get offended when a store clerk wishes me "Happy holidays". Heck, I say happy holidays myself, if I don't know a person. On the other hand, I'm a Christian. Christmas is my holiday. You don't have to celebrate it or acknowledge it in anyway as is your right.

But blah blah blah. That's not the point of this post. Here's what I've been wondering about since all this got started. My neighborhood has a lot of Orthodox Jews and one of the things I've learned from them is that Chanukah is a lesser holiday. It's a nice holiday, celebrating a miracle story about how a lamp burned without oil for 8 days. There are menorahs, gifts and delicious fried foods. But it still isn't anywhere near as big a deal as, say, Passover.

And here's the thing: I don't recall ever hearing a complaint about inclusiveness at Easter, which always hits 'round about the same time as Passover. There are Easter bunnies at malls, community Easter egg hunts. Heck, there's even an Easter egg hunt on the White House lawn, paid for no doubt by tax dollars. Which is hardly a seperation of church and state, even if it is privately funded. And Easter is a way bigger deal from a theological point of view. Christmas is lovely but without a resurrection, you don't have Christianity. So why the annual broohaha about Christmas?

I understand that people who don't celebrate Christmas feel like it is totally in their face. Geez, I feel that way. We try to keep the season of Advent, which means that the Christmas stuff doesn't happen until the 12 days. And let me tell you, when the Christmas starts appearing before Halloween, it's not easy to keep focused. But I try to shut it out as much as I can, until I'm ready. Just because everyone else is ceding to the frenzy doesn't mean I have to. But you don't see me bitching out store managers for putting the Christmas cards in the next aisle over from the Halloween masks. It is what it is, you know?

I just feel so blessed to be in a 'hood that really demonstrates the spirit of tolerance. My Jewish neighbors wish me Merry Christmas and I wish them Happy Chanukah. I put up my lights, they light their menorahs and no one complains. Christmas isn't going to go away. Stores are still going to decorate and have Santa. Choral ensembles are still going to perform Handal's "Messiah" in publicly funded concert halls. Most Americans celebrate Christmas. That's just the facts. It doesn't mean there is anything offensive about pubically lighting a Christmas tree downtown, nor for that matter, publically lighting the big menorah across the street from it. I'm not a culture warrior. I'm all for inclusiveness. I'm also a big fan of tolerance. And tolerance cuts both ways. That's all.

That said, everytime I hear this song I just want to whip up a big batch of latkes. (The recipe for which you can find over here. They rock).

Happy Chanukah/ Kwanza/Festivus/Solstice/Christmas. I apologize if I left anyone out.


35 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

Very Well put

December 13, 2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thank you, dear.

December 13, 2006 11:12 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I know, Charlie. Believe me, I thought of you while I was writing this. Would it help if I sent The Dog for a little Solstice visit? He could give you a lick on the face and you could give him a rawhide bone.

December 13, 2006 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

with eric on this one...:)

December 13, 2006 11:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Yey! For a finely written post, Lorraine! I agree with everything you said. i do wish everyone could just relax and enjoy the season of warmth and fellowship. I want to hide out in the woods in a cabin far removed from this "hoo-ha".

December 13, 2006 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Snaps to you, my friend! Well stated.

December 13, 2006 12:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, kids. Greeny, I think we'd all like to join at the cabin. Grish can bring his jell-o shots, Coffee Girl can bring, well, coffee and I'll make the latkes!

December 13, 2006 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I did not know there was a part 3 to the Sandler song. Thanks for that, too.

December 13, 2006 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Sorry, I just can't go along with what you said. It's entirely too sane, well-balanced, and not nearly sensational enough.

Seriously...
I would have come to the same conclusion as the airport folks. It makes the most practical sense.
In an effort to be politically correct, we will strip away layers of our culture.

And I'll have a blue,
blue, blue, blue
Christmas.
Or Chanukah/ Kwanza/Festivus/Solstice

December 13, 2006 1:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP, always glad to oblige.

Dana, I know, I know. Me and my silly attempts at moderation. Quite ridiculous.

December 13, 2006 1:20 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I work for my company's Diversity group, so we manage this dilemma all the time. We make sure that all of our company's decorations, communications, etc. are completely non-denominational, just so situations like this are avoided. It's a conundrum, and isn't always easy to manage.

Like you, I don't get offended by "Happy Holidays" -- how is that offensive??!! And while I agree that the rabbi overreacted, I think that the situation is currently untenable because there is a small minority within the majority group who want to insist that everyone celebrate the majority holiday -- to my mind, that's the group that created the tension around this stuff.

Good question around why no fuss at Easter/Passover time -- I imagine it's because Christmas feeds into both of America's majority religions -- Christianity and blatant materialism -- whereas Easter focuses more on the former and most people are therefore less attached to it.

December 13, 2006 1:58 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

That minority in the majority, R7, them I find offensive.

Bad news, Charlie. The Dog says he is afraid to go to Scotland because he is afraid you might try to feed him haggis. He wants to know, do you have any cheese?

December 13, 2006 3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Nicely put lorraine, (common sense so often is)..I would have said something like, "You'll get my Christmas tree when you pry it from my cold,dead,hands!"..but I'm old and cranky..

December 13, 2006 5:38 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yeah, you might be old and cranky, but we love you.

December 13, 2006 5:43 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Christmas tress are not religious symbols.

Nativities are.

Menorahs are.

Ta-da.

December 13, 2006 6:07 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

There ya go.

December 13, 2006 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

All of this can be solved with one simple decoration: the humble snowflake.
Who's going to argue with Winter?
Mele Kalikimaka Lorraine!

December 13, 2006 6:31 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

True, Iwanski ... except that they're called, y'know ... Christmas trees. Just sayin' ...

December 13, 2006 7:07 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Eva. You rock. Καλά Χριστούγεννα.

And R7, yeah, they call them Christmas trees but the fact of the matter is that there is a lot of secularism associated with Christmas. The tree itself has no liturgical or sacramental meaning to the faithful. There are myriad "Christmas" songs that have nothing whatsoever to do with the birth of Christ. I don't pretend to understand how all the lines got blurred (although your "blatant consumerism" gambit factors in) but I do know that this is a wonderful time of year, for people of all faiths and that even for people with no faith there is something wondrous about the solstice and light answering back darkness and finding hope in the dead of winter and all the rest of it. And if everyone would just lighten the frak up it would be a good thing.

December 13, 2006 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh golly, everyone has already said it all I guess, so why am I commenting? But I will anyway. I don't get offended if someone wishes me a "Happy Holiday". But I don't even think twice about saying "Merry Christmas" to people I know, unless, of course, they're wearing a yarmulke, in which case I'd wish them Happy Hanukkah. I'm with you, Lorraine, I HATE this PC nonsense, and yeah, why not just do unto others? Everyone is so damned hyper-sensitive these days! Sheesh.

I think trying to please EVERYONE is just plain stupid. I don't think we'd see that in any other country. Christmas doesn't have to involve nativity scenes. It can just be Christmas trees, Santa, lights, and Rudolph. HOW can that be offensive, or even remotely religious, to anyone? Heck, they could even throw in The Grinch! Isn't that non-religious enough to not require a menorah or some symbol of Kwanzaa to balance things out? Grrrrr.

You're right...tolerance. Thankfully, my neighborhood is like yours. Did you hear about the neighborhood that has banned wind chimes and candy canes even? That's just beyond silly. Really.

Merrappy Chrismakkuhzaastice.

December 13, 2006 7:50 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Lorraine, I completely agree with you. And as someone raised in a Christian household, I realize that the decorated tree has no religious significance. But the fact that they're called Christmas trees does have an effect on the way non-Christians perceive them.

If there's one thing I've learned in the past ten or so years ... there's no one single truth, but a million different perceptions.

December 13, 2006 8:02 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama opined...

So, the thing is, Chanukkah's not primarily about the oil miracle. That's a razmatazz thing the kids enjoy. Chanukkah celebrates a war victory fought by a tiny band of Jews against the giant Greek Army. The Greek King, Antiochus, was insisting that the Jews assimilate or die. So, they refused to give up their religion, refused to bow to Greek gods, etc, and won against huge odds. They won back the temple and rededicated it. Chanukkah means dedication. Main theme of the holiday: fighting against assimilation, and refusting to be sublimated to the majority culture. So, see?

December 13, 2006 9:53 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I do see, Pamalamama. But the majority in America isn't telling the Jews to assimilate or die. The majority says we all have the freedom to practise, or not, whatever religion we practise, or not. The fact is, it's the minority (and I don't mean Jews necessarily) that has asserted that "Christmas" is offensive. Which kinda gets to my main point, which is why Christmas and not other specifically Christian holidays, like Easter? Or bloody St. Patrick's Day? And why bring it up in December, like it's some sort of surprise or something. Christmas is every December 25. Why not start the lobbying well before the season is upon us, allowing people the time to talk and come up with equitable solutions?

It just seems to me that after all this time we should be able to figure out how to be tolerant of the myriad traditions honored by our diverse population without everyone having to get bent out of shape. Plus, like I said on your blog, it always pains me when anyone, however, well intentioned, give Bill O'Reilly something else to get het up about.

You know I love you, right?

December 13, 2006 10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Discord? Freedom of speech? The Establishment Clause? Lawsuits? All the lawyers in the room sing "Hallelujah!"

December 14, 2006 5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Discord? Freedom of speech? The Establishment Clause? Lawsuits? All the lawyers in the room sing "Hallelujah!"

December 14, 2006 5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Discord? Freedom of speech? The Establishment Clause? Lawsuits? All the lawyers in the room sing "Hallelujah!"

December 14, 2006 5:23 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

A well-written post, in my multi-cultured opinion... apart from the bit about lighting trees pubically... but who am I to complain about typos (please see a comment I left a couple of days ago).

The thing that always gets me about political correctness is that it is invariably a response to the complaints of a minority of people (in this case, ONE rabbi). We spend so much time bending over backwards to satisfy the demands of every Tom, Dick and Harry who decides they feel offended about something that, as you say, we lose sight of the big picture. Maybe sometimes we should just acknowledge that no matter what we do or don't do, some people are going to choose to take offence.

December 14, 2006 5:45 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Merry freakin' Christmas, LA.


D: Sorry, my editor was off sick yesterday. And thanks.

December 14, 2006 6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Sorry. Didn't mean to be snide three times. Once is usually enough.

Stupid Blogger Beta.

December 14, 2006 7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Sorry. Didn't mean to be snide three times. Once is usually enough.

Stupid Blogger Beta.

December 14, 2006 7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Sorry. I didn't mean to be snide three times. Once is usually enough.

Stupid Blogger Beta.

December 14, 2006 7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Sorry. I didn't mean to be snide three times. Once is usually enough.

Stupid Blogger Beta.

December 14, 2006 7:54 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Let me guess, LA. You didn't mean to apologize 4 times? And yet, the phrase "stupid blogger beta" really can't be said enough.

December 14, 2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I'm the 36th comment.

How about that?!?!?

December 14, 2006 3:34 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Congratulations, Iwanski! That was the magic number. Here. Have an eggnog cake.

December 14, 2006 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home