Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Oh no...

Remember back when a bunch of our blog buddies went over to the Dark Side by switching to beta and then they had all those problems leaving comments and stuff? I've been trying to leave a comment on Dana's blog and "all a sudden" (as The Child used to say), I can't do it. And she just switched to beta. And you know what is really scary about that? I'll tell you.

I was talking with JP about beta yesterday, asking what the deal was, would it substantially change the quality of my blogging experience, blah blah blah. Because aside from the fact that I fear change, I am not that much of a geek. I know exactly as much html code as I need to do what I want to do (links, videos, etc.) If I converted and something went wrong I fear not being able to fix it. Plus, I just don't trust anything that calls itself "beta", knowing as I do that beta is geek code for "test phase".

But here's the thing. All a sudden, whenever I log in the first thing on the dashboard is a big "Your new version of Blogger is ready" message and I am afraid I'm going to accidentally click on it and there I'll be and I'm so afraid it will be an alternative universe. And JP basically said, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're going to make you switch eventually".

So yesterday I heeded his advice and created a new blog...a beta blog of my own, if you will. It seems to be fine. Easy enough to use, I suppose. I still don't understand why I can't leave a comment for Dana but I can for other beta users. (Oh, and by the way, Dana, relative to Dutch bingo...my aunt used to work at the New York Public Library. I'll bet you've met someone she helped.) But I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to yield and make the move. Yikes.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

It's not that bad... actually easy to use and the bugs are worked out now.. Welcome to the other side...
oh is Vodka ok???

December 12, 2006 8:55 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

When is vodka not ok, CM? Ooh, I have some Bloody Mary mix I've been wanting to try.

December 12, 2006 8:58 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Yeah I tried to leave a pithy comment on Nicoles blog and it would not let me log in

December 12, 2006 9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Try using both accounts: blogger and google. One of them should work.

December 12, 2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Looks like they're forcing us to make the move, dear.

JP, I did try the google account that I set up for the beta blog and it worked, except my comment was then attributed to the dog. ('Cause I have a blog for the dog). But now that I've gutted up and decided to try switching, the "your new version of blogger" message isn't showing up. I swear...

December 12, 2006 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

What? My blog has turned on you? How rude. I'll have a talk with it.

December 12, 2006 11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

What? My blog has turned on you? How rude. I'll have a talk with it.

December 12, 2006 11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Very rude, indeed, Dana. Perhaps it is miffed because I haven't been to NYC in almost 20 years. (Oh my, that is a long time. I don't blame it).

December 12, 2006 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

And while your comments are no where to be found, mine are apparently multiplying randomly.

Sorry about that.

December 12, 2006 2:39 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Must be karma.

December 12, 2006 2:51 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I have no idea what all this means. Can I comment here or not? Let's see...

December 12, 2006 3:28 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Doesn't seem to be anyone else's problem but mine, Iwanski. So weird.

December 12, 2006 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home