Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas Cheer


Bad Alice threatened to give The Dog pinecones if I didn’t hand over the eggnog cake recipe. I take these sorts of threats very seriously.

The woman who gave me this recipe did so on the condition that I never reveal my source. (It was neither Martha Stewart nor Scooter Libby). Personally, I find nothing at all shameful in using cake mix. In fact, as someone who has made her share of genoise and sponge cake from scratch, I don’t know why one would bother when a mix will do quite ably. (Health concerns, which are legit, can be addressed by purchasing one of the many natural/organic products on the market. Trader Joe’s has some excellent ones and no, they aren’t paying me to say that). I digress.

Here’s the recipe, sans the name of the woman who gave it to me and I hope you enjoy it. Bad Alice, step away from the pinecones.

EGGNOG POUND CAKE
1 package yellow cake mix
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups commercial eggnog
2 tbs. rum (or brandy or sherry, pretty much anything but tequila or gin)
1/4 cup butter, melted
Combine cake mix, nutmeg, eggs, eggnog, melted butter and rum in large mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer about 4 minutes or 450 strokes with a whisk. Pour batter into greased 10 " bundt or tube pan.

Bake in 350 oven 45-55 min. or until a long wooden skewer inserted in the thickest portion comes out clean.

Cool in pan 10 minutes: invert cake onto a rack and cool thoroughly. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Thank you. I have put back the pine cones.

One of my favorite cooks, Alden Brown, thinks cake mixes are great. That's all I need to hear.

And I miss Trader Joe's. Sigh.

December 21, 2005 12:30 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Actually, I think that's Alton Brown.

December 21, 2005 12:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

What a shock...we love Alton, too. Here's to good eats!

December 21, 2005 12:34 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Oh, isn't he such a nice fella? You know you won't get roped into some impossibly complicated procedure with Alton. Well, I mean most cooking is complicated to me, but you know what I mean. Good, practical advice. He had a show about making buttercream frosting, which is when he talked about the virtues of cake mixes. He thought it was more worthwhile to spend time on homemade frosting.

December 22, 2005 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home