Sunday, December 10, 2006

Growing Up

Speaking of musical influences, growing up I was exposed to the classics. Harry Belafonte, the Brothers Four, the New Christy Minstrels and the like. The Letterman. And then there were the Broadway musicals. Henry Mancini. Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass (of course). Good times. One of my favorite composers of those years, though, had to be Burt Bacharach, who had given us some absolutely timeless, enduring music. You can go way beyond Dionne Warwick to appreciate the scope of this musical genius. Witness the appeal of Rupert Everett singing "I Say a Little Prayer for You" in "My Best Friend's Wedding". Think of Elvis Costello teaming with Mr. B, just a few years ago, to make a very splendid album. I love Burt Bacharach. Love. Him.

And according to my research, the man himself was a big fan of this cover. Which makes me happy, because I really liked it, too.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Another song that I did not know was a remake.

But it's funny because I thought of this song yesterday when you played Human League. Probably more funny to me than anyone else though.

December 10, 2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You'll have to explain that one, hon.

December 10, 2006 4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

There were a few minutes where I really thought that Human League sang this song. I even looked it up when I got home from work.

December 10, 2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Man, it's a good thing you have me.

December 10, 2006 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Well yes, that's true for many reasons. But still, you can see how it gets easy to confuse some of these songs.

December 10, 2006 11:14 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes. In fact, if truth be told, I was first looking for this very song under a different band name. Did the same thing for the Scandal tune I played later. It happens. But it's still good you have me. (And that I have you).

December 11, 2006 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home