Thursday, December 14, 2006

Men

When I was in college there was this boy. He was the friend of a guy on whom I had a crush. The guy never gave me a tumble but the best friend took a shine to me. I wasn't interested. Something about him just read wrong to me...too slick, too sure of himself. I wasn't very smart about guys but something told me this one couldn't quite be trusted.

But he courted me. He'd call just to read me something he thought I'd enjoy. He'd wait for me after Philosophy 101 and walk me to Christian Literature: Milton to Sayers. Finally, I consented to go out with him, to the undergrad library at the UW. With his room-mate/best friend, who it turned out, had played basketball when Sean was coaching.

The thing about this guy was that he was all about the chase. After a few months he decided that he was "too old" for me and that I shouldn't be tied down. I remember looking at him and saying, "You want to date other people. Fine. I'm out". I started dating another guy right away, who came out of nowhere and was a sweetie. As soon as Jerk Face found out, he wanted me back. Summer came. Sweetie went away. Jerk Face kept working the perimeter until I decided to give him another chance. A few months later he started sleeping with his roomate/best friend's girlfriend. Because I wouldn't put out and she, you know, would. Charming guy.

Haven't thought about that little debacle in years.

Blogger came back today, inviting me, so suave, so cool, to come on over to the Beta Bar and maybe we could, you know, hang out. I was ready. My defenses had been eroded by all those alluring invitations of the past few weeks. I click the "switch to the new version" button. What did I have to lose? I nervously signed in, feeling a little giddy, the hum of possibility singing through my little bloggy veins. And you know what Blogger did then? Blogger said I was too big and couldn't play after all. Blogger is a booger.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I'm still scared of Beta and haven't gone near him. I'm too old and too tired.

December 14, 2006 11:06 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And you're smart, too. He's just a player. You deserve so much better than that.

December 14, 2006 11:17 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Always wanting the "easy ones" not willing to wait for quality, isn't that always the way!?!?!?!?

Dear Blogger god, PLEASE let this post post, Lorraine is all I have left!!!!!!

December 14, 2006 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Your request shall be granted. But we still reserve the right to discriminate against big blogs.

December 14, 2006 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

L - The siren song of Beta Blogger eventually wore down my defenses also wherein I succumbed this morning.

What's the word I'm looking for? ? ?

oh yeah - anticlimaxic.

(Despite us good girls holding out the players treat us the same as the bimbos - it just takes them a little more time and effort to be a jerk to us.)

December 14, 2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

So ... is Blogger the man who can't commit, or the woman who won't, er ... put out?

I'm just sayin', it could go either way.

December 14, 2006 1:02 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Jlow, Yeah, I noticed that today when I signed in and it showed that the recipe blog had been moved. And it sat there. Taunting the rest of my blogs. I'm not too big. You're big fat blogs and you can't come play. Neener neener neener.

R7, Sheesh, the guy that can't commit. I want you. I don't want you. Go Beta. Ooh, you're too fat for Beta.

Man, there are some really pissing things going on in Blogopia today.

December 14, 2006 1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

R7 - It is sooo the guy that can't commit. Beta had been inviting me for a couple of weeks but I was leary.

Then I decided, what the heck? Everybody else seems to think he's okay. Not fantastic, but okay.

So then he rescinds his invite. Like he's got some kind of right to be hard to get now. So I ignored him. Who cared? I was happy with plain old blogger.

Then here HE comes again. And we ladies are the ones accused of being fickle!

December 14, 2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And he's also a little controlling, Jlow. Because now that you've switched and I haven't, he won't let me play on the recipe blog. I repeat. Blogger is a booger.

December 14, 2006 1:56 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

The bad thing is that I tried to leave a comment on your Blog Jlow and it refused to acknowledge my account. I have the same problem on JPs blog. Too bad I just wanted to say thanks for the nice card.

December 14, 2006 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home