Thursday, December 14, 2006

Let It Blow, Let It Blow, Let it Blow

Oh, the weather outside is frightful.

They've been saying a big wind storm was heading our way but who really pays attention to the weather forecast? "Capricious" is a polite word for what the weather is. I always treat the weather report as a gentle suggestion.

Yeah. Well, not so much. The big storm they said would start surging around 8pm and hit its peak around 1am is currently blowing in 3 hours ahead of schedule. Rain is lashing, the cat door is swinging, the lights are flickering and there is any amount of thumping and bumping outside as things like garbage pails are rearranged. The Dog is not happy.

I am so glad I got those cakes baked today.

I am so glad I picked up hot dog buns.

I am really, really glad that our stove is gas because as long as we have matches I'll still be able to cook.

Not that power outages last very long where we live. We're pretty firmly embedded in the city grid. But it could happen.

Tis not a fit night out for man nor beast but The Spouse is out there somewhere, commuting home. And technically we are due to leave in less than an hour for the school Advent concert (but I can tell you right now that if it gets much worse I'll say "bollocks" to that). Certainly, The Spouse and I will suffer a smidge of disappointment if our power does go out, thus preventing us from watching the hour long "Office" that is scheduled for tonight. We like our simple pleasures.

But hey. There's wine in the house and the corkscrew is manually operated. We have candles. It's all good.

Geez. The Child just saw lightening. I'd better turn off the computer.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Hubby will arrive safely no doubt.I'm thinkin' some wine,candles,and a little power outage sounds kinda like fun....in a wintery Christmas memory future story for the grandkids sorta way.

December 14, 2006 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

What he said...:)

December 14, 2006 5:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, you big, ol', cranky romantic, you...

December 14, 2006 5:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You too, Grish. But geez, missing the "Office" Christmas party? I don't know...

December 14, 2006 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Well, if you're getting it already, then we'll surely get it later tonight. Like you, I was thinking the weather forecasters were off the mark yet again. It is slushily snowing out right now. The Spouse will be on the road until 7:45 tonight, so I'm hoping the windy stuff holds off until he's home. Unfortunately, here we usually DO lose power, which means I could have my hands full in the AM if it goes out tonight. We'll see. At least I'll get my "O.C." Chrismakkuh fix before it hits. You have the "Office", I have " The O.C." What can I say? Stay warm, dry, and enjoy that wine.

December 14, 2006 5:56 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I agree. I think if I missed 'The Office', I would FREAK THE HELL OUT.

December 14, 2006 6:41 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Keep your head down, Gina.

I knew you'd understand, Iwanski.

December 14, 2006 8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

hold on tight!!!!
will check in to see how things go. First snow, now this

December 14, 2006 8:02 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I know, CM. It's a little crazy for the land that is known just for being wet.

But we're sluts. We'll do anything to get into the national news. I swear...

December 14, 2006 10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

So, we had some wind, but not the super high winds predicted. BUT... I did get home to find my satellite signal not coming in, which meant the 6PM showing on the New York Fox feed of the O.C. didn't record!!! So... I went out, swept the snow off the dish and LNBs, set the TiVo to record the 9PM showing from Fox LA, went to bed and crossed my fingers. Thankfully, it didn't snow any more, so I got to see my show this morning - and it was great! Turns out, though, that the power is out in Coeur d'Alene, 45 miles south, so The Spouse can't start work for another 2 hours, and he is not a happy camper. What to do in a town with no power an hour from home for two hours?

December 15, 2006 7:39 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I just got off the phone with my folks (Olympia, WA) who postponed their flight to my sister's house (they're supposed to be in the air right this very second) because a branch fell through their roof and they've been without power for the last 24 hours.

Brrrr. But they're fine. I just hope they make it to Kansas before I get there next week. Won't be Christmas without 'em.

December 15, 2006 12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

A manually-operated corkscrew can be a life-saver in cases or emergency :)
Marie

December 15, 2006 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home