Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Full Disclosure

I am not inspired.

There. I said it.

For some weeks now, I have been operating on a very low energy wave. I'm not sick or depressed. I'm sleeping fine, have a healthy appetite and am taking pleasure in the things around me. I have virtually no complaints about my life. The quotidian obligations of cleaning and pungling, while not always exactly rocking my world, do not weigh on me. I am doing, at least at the basic minimum, what must needs be done to keep house and hearth together. I am not sad, angry, frustrated or any other negative thing. Which is almost too bad. Anger, for example, is easily identified and therefore easily examined. What is the cause of this anger? What steps must be taken to restore the peace?

But what I'm feeling isn't so easily named. It would sound impressive to say I'm suffering from ennui but that suggests on-going annoyance and irritation, which is inaccurate. Nor am I simply bored because that speaks to a general lack of interest, which is not the case either.

So if nothing is wrong, why am I so lacking in creative impulse?

That's a dandy question. Let's think about it.

a) I'm not exercising. Never mind that this month has been first, far too rainy and is now far too cold. I'm not moving enough, which may account for why the humours are a little sluggish as well.

2) I'm not using my my mind. I haven't read a good book in months. I've barely looked at a magazine, although last night I did start reading a good article in an old Vanity Fair about Alice Waters and the birth of Chez Panisse. I also haven't worked a crossword puzzle. More importantly, except for blogging, I haven't been writing.

And as important as a) is, I think 2) is more to the point. My blog is a creative outlet, no question about it. But it is supposed to prime the pump. It's not the end all and be all of my creative expression. Except lately. It's good that at least I am blogging, keeping my hand in and all that. But I want to do more. There are even ideas glimmering in the shadows. But for some reason, just at the moment, I'm feeling very stuck.

So there.

Here's a good thing about me. Once I realize the nature of a problem, I usually act pretty quickly to resolve it. I've hit a slow patch. Well, fine. But there's little reward in sitting here wallowing, especially now that I've identified the problem as a general state of "stuckness". I shall now pull myself out of the Slough of Stuckness before I find myself in the muddy Ditch of Despair. For I haven't any boots.

I am going to write for a while.

17 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

With analogies like that?

November 29, 2006 1:35 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Are you suggesting that I should avoid analogies like that when writing?

November 29, 2006 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

The Ditch of Despair gets a bad rap. Yeah, it's muddy and all, but nowhere near as sticky as the mud in the Slough of Stuckness. I'm not even sure that's actually mud.

November 29, 2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm not sure it is, either, jp. It's not that squooshy, it doesn't seem to be doing anything for my complexion and frankly, it sorta smells.

November 29, 2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Well, for someone who is stuck, you've been doing some fantastic writing lately.

November 29, 2006 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I with Iwanski, your writing has been fantantastic here but I kinda understand being stuck or at least feeling so.

November 29, 2006 3:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Iwanski & Grish, Mighty nice of you both to say so. I expect I'll be over my bad self soon enough.

November 29, 2006 5:04 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

... all of which begs the question: what besides your blog do you write and who are the mere mortals gifted enough to read it? HMMMM ... ??!!

November 29, 2006 7:32 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Meh. I have a manuscript I need to finish editing, another idea in the hopper and junk for journals. But what I really want to do is direct. I mean, have a syndicated column and be on Oprah because, like the poet David Budbill I want to be "known and read
By everyone and have admirers
Everywhere and lots of money!"

Which is why I majored in English.

November 29, 2006 8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I think you've got a simple case of the hum-drums. Also known as the dull-drums and/or the piddly-farts. (let's all thank Granny Fern for that one)
Could always be worse, say... the pit of despair or the fire swamp filled with rodents of unusual size. Then there is always the bog of eternal stench. a.k.a. The Great Salt Lake. See?

November 29, 2006 8:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

ROUSes? Really?

And of course, you know how to negotiate the fire swamp. Just listen for the popping sounds.

November 29, 2006 9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Words like "quotidian" inspire me.

November 30, 2006 4:09 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Tee. That is a good one, isn't it?

November 30, 2006 6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Could it be due to the fact that you don't yet have closure with your family liturgy book?

~BALT

November 30, 2006 4:05 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Nope. That's getting finished. It's more a next steps-new project sorta thing.

November 30, 2006 5:16 PM  
Blogger Allan opined...

Not inspired? It doesn't show.

December 01, 2006 4:16 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, thanks. I'm actually feeling much more engaged at the moment. I've got a new project and it's exciting. Yay!

December 01, 2006 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home