Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Öluar Is Pleased

Snow day!

Although, before we get too excited, it should be noted that it is not so much snow as ice and that strictly speaking, not even that would prevent us from leaving home.

Here's our street:














The Child woke up at 8:30. "Mom? Why am I not at school?"

"Snow day!" I cheerily replied.

"Why?"



















You need to understand the geography of Seattle. First, it is a city built on 7 hills (yes, just like Roma). Also, the "metro area" is a sprawling one. This means that parts of town get hit harder than others and that ice makes many of our major streets impassable. Because they are at a significant incline.

So while areas north, south and east of us got measurable snowfall last night and us not so much, we're all in this together.



















The Seahawks played (and won) in the snow last night. Some fans were still trying to get home at 5am this morning.

The thing is, we get so little snow around here that even the natives, let alone the Californicating transplants, have no idea how to drive in it. I don't know how to drive in it. Lord, if I were out and about and it started snowing I would be so screwed. I don't even know how to put on the snow chains that I think I have somewhere. It's just not a skill one really needs around here. Which is why we are completely gobsmacked at the merest dusting of the white stuff.

I know all you Canadian and midwestern readers are laughing your heads off right now.



















Once upon a time, when I was a nanny, it started to snow. It snowed so much that the mom was only able to drive a few hilly blocks before coming back home. She was a work-a-holic and kept hoping that the snow would stop and melt and she could go in. After about an hour, with a pretty impressive accumulation and no sign of let up, she told me I should probably try and get home.

I waited for the bus for a while and it became clear that it wasn't coming any time soon. My nanny family lived in the Ravenna neighborhood, which is just a smidge north and east of the University District. I knew there would be more bus options closer in so I started to walk. After about 20 cold, sloppy blocks, I stopped at a little restaurant and ordered the most delicous black bean soup I've ever tasted, had a glass of wine and rested. After sufficient warming and carbo loading, I set out again, finally gaining the U district. Where the bus stops were crammed with people waiting for the few paltry buses that had managed to get chains on.

So I kept walking. My trip to work was a multi-bus affair so I figured I'd just make it to the main stop, the one that would get me straight home. It was up above the freeway. When I finally got there, after about another hour of snow walking (which is harder than regular walking, btw), there were no less than 60 people jammed into the tiny shelter. And they'd been waiting a long time.

So I kept walking. Now I want all you Seattlites, former and current, to pay attention to this. I walked from the border of Wedgewood, all the way through Ravenna and the U district. I finally made it Wallingford. It was about 3 hours into my hike and it was still snowing. Hard. I stopped somewhere along the way and got a coffee. I was hoping to pass a ski shop because I was seriously going to buy some cross country skis or some snowshoes, but alas. I kept walking, another 2 cold hours or so until I got to Greenwood and my friend Peggy's house. She was home. Thanks be to Öluar. She gave me hot things to drink and eat and we watched the news, which was full of snow reports. Peggy, being from Colorado, was mystified. "But there's only 8 or 10 inches on the ground. What's the matter with you people?"

"Don't you have snow days in Colorado?" I asked.

"Sure. If it gets to 2 feet or something. But this is nothing!"

Well, not to her, but in this hilly land full of snow novices, where the county owns all of 3 snow plows, it's big deal. A shut-down-the-city-and-pray-to-God-you-have-enough-toilet-paper-in-the-house-because-you-aren't-going-anywhere big deal.

But like I said, that's hardly the situation this morning. I've got to put gas in the car and go to the bank. I think it'll be fine.

Meanwhile, The Child has gone out to not build snowmen and not go sledding with the Mead Street gang. Because it's a snow day.

Labels:

31 Comments:

Blogger Lex Lata opined...

I remember D.C. shutting down the same way when it snowed a little. It's all relative. Hereabouts, every other house has a big pick-up truck, and every other big pick-up truck has a snow plow attachment.

November 28, 2006 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I hope you at least got the recipe for that black bean soup. - Nicole (who is too lazy to log into betamyass and lose the comment)

November 28, 2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

LA: So the other Washington is just as wimpy, huh? Who knew?

Nicole: I didn't actually, but I was able to replicate it pretty closely. I think the deliciousness of it owed as much to the conditions under which I was eating it as to the recipe itself.

November 28, 2006 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

update:
i AM laughing my arse off

November 28, 2006 10:42 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

LA: Plow King
Oluar is pronounced ooler and is the snow god for skiers invented by my frind Jim some 30 years or so ago. /FYI

November 28, 2006 10:53 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Stacy: Bet you are. And pointing and holding your sides as well.

Thanks for the trivia, Pookie.

November 28, 2006 11:24 AM  
Blogger jLow opined...

Having grown up in the Panhandle of Texas, it barely made the news when we got 18 inches overnight. And "snow day"? What the frak is that?!!! In my day we went to school no matter the snow . . . uphill . . . both ways!

oh wait, that's my Dad's story.

Tell the Child to enjoy the spoils of her Snow Day.

November 28, 2006 11:57 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger opined...

That wouldn't be a SNOW DAY here in the Midwest either! In fact I don't even think I would get out my snow shovel for that... and I certainly wouldn't start my snow blower for it! But... that does make me think perhaps, I should gas mine and start it, (just to make sure) it still works! ~ jb///

November 28, 2006 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I never knew your story of blizzard survival. I'm very impressed! It may not rank as high as Shackleton's adventure, but still, I'm your mom and I'm impressed. Exceedingly so.

November 28, 2006 12:32 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Jlow: I haven't seen the little beast for hours. Safe to say she's enjoying herself thoroughly!

LZB: a) Thanks for stopping by and 2) always be prepared. Which reminds me, I don't have snow boots...

November 28, 2006 12:33 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dame Judi, Pshaw. Didn't want to worry you. Surely someone would have found me by spring.

November 28, 2006 12:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Pfft! Totally NOT a snow day. I'll post a photo of our snow later today. Keep your eyes peeled. We got about a foot in town, 2+ feet in the outskirts, and the kids are all in school.

Oh, and quite the story about your trek in the snow. You are a hardy soul, Lorraine!

November 28, 2006 12:42 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hardy or stupid. And stop bragging about your snow.

November 28, 2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Hooray for Öluar! We apparently got a little more snow in Spokane than you guys get in Seattle. My parents now live in Olympia, and I came out to them ten years ago during a big blizzard on Christmas week. Remember that?

November 28, 2006 1:57 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Now THAT was a cool blizzard! I believe even our good friends in the midwest would have appreciated that one. It was the week The Spouse and I became engaged...only the 2nd white Christmas I'd ever had (the other was in Flagstaff, Arizona and I was 6).

November 28, 2006 2:18 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

No I think he means 10 years ago when we were still in the apt but the child was with us. Remember on The feast of the Holy Family when the weather suddenly warmed up and the streets ran like slushy rivers?

November 28, 2006 2:27 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Oh yeah and go check out the pix on my blog for the conditions at my office so y'all dont get the wrong idea. It was slick here.

November 28, 2006 2:29 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, right. that blizzard. It started on Boxing Day. I'm no good at math.

November 28, 2006 2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I was going to brag about the snow that continues to dump on us here in the Land O'Zion...but I don't want you to yell at me.

November 28, 2006 3:01 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Smart girl.

November 28, 2006 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

eJust goes to show you how little that I know about the Washington climate. I assumed it snowed more than that for some reason.

Only 30 to 40 percent of our roads excluding highways are paved and 4x4s are very common. In fact out of the 6 or 7 vehicles owned by me and mine there is only one two wheel drive. There is even one highway here that is half dirt but anyway it doesn`t take much for a snow day here...

November 28, 2006 3:45 PM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

oh, please. I am now going over to J.P.'s, where he had to go to work today, and had macaroni & cheese for dinner last night.

November 28, 2006 4:21 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Dude, I envy The Child so this day.

November 28, 2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish, We're all about the geographical enlightenment over here at "Here's the Thing".

Edy: Pft. You've probably had 3 feet of snow since labor day AND know how to build igloos and everything.

Iwanski: She left home at about 10am and didn't return until 5. Because I made her. That's a lot of not-snowman building and not-sledding, let me tell you!


Charlie: Indeed.

November 28, 2006 5:43 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

"we're all in this together"
I immediately started dancing and singing

November 28, 2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

As well you should, Missy.

November 28, 2006 8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

True, the snow is not impressive in the least. But the amount of comments is, for sure. :)

November 28, 2006 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

We Californicators are kinda wimpy when it comes to snow.I'm seriously considering observing "temperature dropped below 50 day" today..Have fun! :)

November 29, 2006 6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

saw the mess on the news last night... yes we in the midwest are amazed... learn to dirve out there would ya!

November 29, 2006 6:27 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling: "Dropped below 50" Day. Is that anything like "Hasn't Rained in 2 Days" Day? Sounds like fun.

CM: Yeah, I know. The pickup truck with snow plow attachment/snow blower crowd have been heard loud and clear. We're snow pansies. There. I said it.

November 29, 2006 6:37 AM  
Blogger polona opined...

we wouldn't lose any sleep over that much snow... but then, we haven't even had a decent frost here yet.

November 29, 2006 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home