Monday, November 27, 2006

Reports of Our Blizzard Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Today was not, as I predicted, a snow day. The Child, as expected, still tried to work it:

"But what if more snow comes? See those clouds?"

Well, sure. It snowed in November. It rarely does that. So anything could happen because it already has. But the roads were clear and dry.

"Trust me," I tell her, "if it starts to snow hard I will come get you from school".

"My head hurts".

With absolutely no warmth whatsoever I gave her a couple of Tylenol and told her to get up.

"I don't have a shirt and I can only find one sneaker".

I dig a shirt out of the clean laundry that I didn't put away before we left on our trip. "Here. And I suggest you find the other shoe".

"I think I'm sick, mom. My nose is stuffy and my throat is sore and my stomach hurts".

"You are not sick," I said. "and it is not a snow day. We're leaving in 10 minutes".

"Fine!" she retorted, with all the distain of which she is capable. Which is plenty.


The ride in was rather fun, though. Snow was blowing off the hood of the car and sliding down the windows. It was like we were generating our own little blizzard.

Then I came home and opened the fridge to get the peanut butter I have to smear on The Dog's pills to get him to take them. This is what I found:














A bowl of fresh snow. Probably laden with all sorts of poisonous trace elements but it looks, well, pure. She can have snow ice cream for a snack this afternoon. What the heck.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Your no-show snow is headed for Utah as we speak. Tomorrow, we are expected to have between 1 to 3 feet!
Hey, that kinda rhymed. Jinkies!

November 27, 2006 9:58 AM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Are you sure that's not just the ice you use to keep your man fillets cold?

November 27, 2006 10:44 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hunker down, Eva. Hope you've got a back-up generator for the microwave.

LA, Those are safely tucked away in zip-lock bags and neatly stacked in the extra freezer. The one I keep for man fillets.

November 27, 2006 11:11 AM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

It snows in Seattle?
Well, I'll be damned.

November 27, 2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You learn something every day.

November 27, 2006 1:36 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Snow ice cream......... oh the joy!

I don't think anything taste better.

November 27, 2006 1:38 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And she's really in luck because I remembered to replenish the vanilla supply when I last went grocery shopping. Spoiled child.

November 27, 2006 2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

It was 70+ yesterday and they are reporting an inch of ice later this week...

November 27, 2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You live in a very odd place, Grish.

November 27, 2006 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Yes I do, we do have 4 very distict seasons but the temperature difference will range from the low negatives in the winter to the low 100s in the summer. Plus we can have extreme temp differences in the same week, say that Monday can be near 80 then Thursday will be 20 and snowing. Now those are the extremes but it is weird sometimes...

November 27, 2006 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home