Friday, August 25, 2006

Unbloggable

That’s Edy's word, shorthand for the subject of calls and emails that won’t be published. They aren’t secrets necessarily, just bits of life too personal for general consumption.

What’s interesting to me about this is the variable notion of standards for what one won’t blog about. It doesn’t matter to me what you chose to tell. It’s not a judgment. Just because I don’t doesn’t mean you shouldn’t. I’ve encountered some blogs wherein the writer tells everything. Nothing is sacred. It’s not that I find such entries particularly shocking; it’s just that there are things I won’t even put in the old-fashioned leather and paper journal I still keep.

Anyway, I started thinking about what I won’t blog about.

Fights with The Spouse. They don’t happen very often anymore, though we’ve had our periods of unmitigated hooha. (We’ve been married for nearly 15 years and we’re both strong willed. You do the math). I could see it being appropriate some time to blog in a general way about those periods, why we were tense and how we got through it. But the snarky “he said, I said”, not so much. In the first place, it wouldn’t be fair to him. In the second, I’m not as perfect as my writing about such an event would lead you to believe. In the third, he has his own blog.

Bodily functions. Unless I had to take a random drug test and failed because they found traces of opium (I like poppyseed dressing), I can’t imagine that to be an interesting topic.

Illness. More specifically, the details. Sure, I’ll tell you if I’m sick but you’ll likely be spared the manifestations of that illness in all it’s Technicolor glory because, ewww.

Super personal stuff about The Child. She knows I blog about her. She knew, for example, about yesterday’s window post. (And she appreciated everyone’s kind words of support for her good choices. And thank you for that because there’s nothing so powerful as affirmation). But one of these days she’s going to fully consider the implications of Mom having a public blog and she isn’t going to want me to tell you everything. So I probably won’t. If she asks me not to. And I feel like compiling.

What won’t you write about?

10 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I'll never write anything personal about another blogger. Even indirectly.

August 25, 2006 12:02 PM  
Blogger Renee opined...

Well , you know I've crossed into bodily function territory, but I agree with you on everything else.

One of the times I did mention being mad at my husband on the blog, I sort of regretted it later because I realized it probably sounded like a bigger deal than it really was...so I'm going to try and be more careful.

I also don't feel brave enough to talk about my spiritual life much of the time. It seems too, I don't know, well, sacred to me, although I don't think it would be bad if I were able to write about it more freely...

August 25, 2006 3:20 PM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

heavy exhalation of relief....I thought for a minute you were going to write about the specifics of the last unbloggable...scared the (bodily function) out of me.

August 25, 2006 3:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I won't write about the personal discussions between myself and my sponsor or others in my 12 step program.

Or bodily functions because, as you so aptly said -- ewwwww.

Btw, I'm writing this weekend. :)

August 25, 2006 5:06 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Well, nearly everything I write about is made up and what isn't made up is embellished to the point that it isn't REALLY the truth anymore, so... :P

Nah, but really there are several things that I will not write about for one reason or another.

I try to keep a rating of around PG-13, mainly because my kids are sometimes in my lap or reading over my shoulder while I'm typing...

and I won't write to much about work on the blog because they are kinda sticklers for confidentiality and I don't want to get fired if someone actually finds my blog someday...

August 25, 2006 5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I won't get too specific about my past legal entanglements.That was then..

August 25, 2006 6:26 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

How did that show up as anonymous??(sigh)

August 25, 2006 6:28 PM  
Blogger Hina opined...

Ok first, I absolutely LOVED the "Rites of Passage". Great entry!

And since you know that my blog is all about raising my daughter... I guess it's safe to say that I won't blog about anything else :)

August 26, 2006 5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

"But one of these days she’s going to fully consider the implications of Mom having a public blog and she isn’t going to want me to tell you everything. So I probably won’t. If she asks me not to. And I feel like compiling."

You are soooo like your daughter!

August 26, 2006 7:08 AM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I never, ever blog about mistakes made by the Bush Administration, because that would be helping the terrorists.

August 27, 2006 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home