Thursday, August 10, 2006

Birthday Shout Out


On this day some years ago (more than 40, less than 70) my mother, Dame Judy Dench, was born. I would like to take a moment to honor this ocassion because she is the best mother in the world.

She was a mere slip of a young thing when I was born and while I know that all my siblings have a special bond with her, ours is unique. It's a bit Gilmore-ian in that we've always been friends. She was my mom and I respected that about her, but from the time I was teeny tiny and bald to this day (when I am neither) we have always been able to talk. In my teen years, when I was a smart-arsed know-it-all, I knocked heads frequently with my father but very, very rarely with my mother. I can really only remember one big argument and that was actually when I was in college. There may have been others but I don't recall them so I don't worry about them.

It wasn't just that I could always tell my mom things (including things which she has since told me she rather wished I'd kept to myself) it was that she always "got" me. I have always, always, always felt understood, protected and adored by my mum. Always.

It probably also deserves notice that to this day I have women friends who tell me how lucky I am in my relationship with my mother. More than one friend over the years has told me how they wish she could be their mother.

Dame Judy is intelligent, well-read, funny and kind. She likes all things British (especially Colin Firth). She is an excellent cook (hmmm). She is super creative. She can take the proverbial sow's ear and turn it into a Kate Spade bag. She can see potential in the barest of bones and has engaged all her life in that most divine of tasks, creating something from nothing. I could write several posts about her clever solutions to thorny design problems. She had the "shabby chic", country cottage vibe going on way, way before it became a known design asthetic.

As her children married, she opened her heart and home to the newbies, having sworn a solemn vow not to be a controlling, harassing mother-in-law. A vow she has lived up to admirably, by the way. She takes pride in her children, joy in her grandbabies and is, as Molly just said, the sweetest Nana ever.

Here's to you, Dame Judy. I'm so glad you were born so you could be my mommy. I love you! Happy birthday.

9 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I already like your mom. What a wonderful tribute.

August 10, 2006 2:12 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Yeah Mom!

August 10, 2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Happy Birthday to a great Mom!

August 11, 2006 12:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Beautiful! You make me cry with your posts!
Sounds as though she should be sainted, from my prospective.

August 11, 2006 5:17 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm glad I have persuaded you all to join the fan club. She is the coolest lady and I know you'd like her. Charlie, I always wanted a big brother....

Greeny, She IS a saint...4 kids in 5 1/2 years, a pastor husband (when she never wanted to be a preacher's wife)....I can't even begin to tell you how deserving she is of the title.

August 11, 2006 7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Humbled, speechless, in a tear puddle I sit.

Blessings on your sweet head (and grateful that it is now covered with very pretty hair.)

August 11, 2006 8:13 AM  
Blogger Molly opined...

I'm pretty sure Nana is the queen of England but she hasn;t told us yet! I love her.

August 12, 2006 5:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

She's for sure the queen of hearts!

August 12, 2006 5:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I had the same sort of relationship with my mom, and all my friends thought she was so cool. She was an awesome mother-in-law and would have been an amazing grandmother. I miss her every day. She died when I was 20. You are so lucky!

August 14, 2006 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home