Sunday, July 23, 2006

Just a Few Things

I wasn't going to even think about complaining about the heat these last few days because it's worse in lots of other places. But now that it has gotten up over 100 degrees I feel justified in commenting.

How do you people do it? You there, the ones living in those parts of the country or the world who are inclined to say, "100 degrees? Ooh, chilly. Best grab a sweater before we go visit Lorraine". Seriously. Yes, I know you all have air conditioning and dim houses and things like mint juleps but Lord have mercy, is it worth it? Because I'll tell you what, pretty much all I could manage yesterday was sitting as still as possible in poses that allowed me to not have any part of myself touching myself. Sometimes I gutted up and took the long, dusty stroll to The Neighbor's house where we would both sit in positions that allowed us not to have any part of ourselves touching ourselves and we would look at each other and say, "How do people live in places that are hot all the time?" It just sapped all our energy and will. It was all I could do to write some emails.

The Spouse, however, did rig up The Mist of Niceness. The garden hose with mist attachment is held to a step ladder by a clamp. It is ungaily but we turn it on and sit in the Andirondack chairs and it is very, very nice. It cools the air as well as our sweaty little selves and so we had a lovely evening. The Neighbor joined us (bringing a very gorgeous fruit tart which, yes, she baked yesterday. The heat makes you do crazy things). And the Mist of Niceness cooled us down so well that we were almost able to approximate actual conversation.

Looks like there's more of it to come today, but I will be required to be more functional. After mass is our annual church picnic (and a celebration of our priest's 40th anniversary in the ministry) and then I'm meeting S&C for coffee. My first blog buddy meeting, ever. I admit, I'm starting to feel a little nervous about it. I have encountered so many wonderful people here in Blogtopia and wouldn't mind meeting them for real. But now that I actually am it makes me feel a little squidgy, in a good way.

It's like this: I'm pretty honest in my blog, which is a good thing. But it's a blog. I create it. Which means that if I write something that isn't particularly funny or insightful, I delete it. I edit out the more unattractive or boring bits of my life because they are, after all, unattractive and boring. Which is not to say that I try to make it sound like I'm perfect all the time. I think you know by now that I'm not. But still. I think we get to craft the image of ourself in Blogtopia in a particular way and the danger in meeting one of you is that the cat will get out of the bag. What if I'm boring and stupid? And what if tomorrow's entry in S&C's blog is: "Oh, yeah. Had coffee with Lorraine. Really, really good coffee. Excellent".

Which all sounds like I'm overthinking this, which I'm actually not. It has crossed my mind is all and since you're in Blogtopia, too, I thought you could relate. Also, I'm having a wardrobe crisis because no one in Seattle really has a proper summer wardrobe. Most of our stuff is all-season wear and if we DO have summer clothes it's shorts and tank tops. Which is to say that the only sleeveless dress I have that's church-worthy is black wool and if the ambient air in my kitchen is any indication, I do NOT want to wear wool today. But I kinda want to look nice for my first meeting with a fellow Blogtopian. Oh. The drama.

On another note, has anyone heard a peep from Angela lately? Her blog is gone and the email I have for her is suddenly not working? Anyone have any clues? Angela, Boobala, where are you?

Right. Can you believe I wrote this without benefit of coffee? Must alter that situation immediately. Have a good day, y'all. Swelter on.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Almost once a year I've had to stop blogging for over a month just to get away from it. Sharing your life (even a fictional one like mine) is a lot of work sometimes.

Pat and Amy are also taking downtime right now to focus on real life stuff, so I'll just keep being patient until everyone is back. As long as everyone does come back, because I'm not really that patient.

Hurry home, kids!!!

July 23, 2006 10:21 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

WAYYY too hot here in O-Town as well.108 with humidity that's even making my indoor palm go "Damm!"..It does appear that angela has chosen to go underground for a bit.Like jp says,sometimes you gotta recharge.Hope to see her and the others soon.

July 23, 2006 2:54 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

I lived in Phoenix AZ for 7 years, where 100 degrees in summer was a relief, but I don't know how I did it. I had to carry water just to cool off the metal bits of the car seats. I carried water with me if I drove to the corner for gas. And the whole dry heat bit is so full of it. Really, at 118 who cares if it's dry? Because when the monsoon season comes around in August, it will be 118 with 50 percent humidity anyway. Ugh.

And it's hot and disgusting here in Georgia. I grew up in hot and disgusting, like having a warm heavy towel wrapped around you. I stay indoors and use a lot of baby powder. Heat rash is an ugly thing.

July 23, 2006 8:05 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Have been worried about Angela as well.

It was actually cooler than normal today but I do like charlie's idea...

July 23, 2006 10:16 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

Yes today was terribly hot in Shelton too. Probably 100. I am now a giant lobster! Hopefully. the colors of my aching skin will fade by Thursday... and hopefully, it'll cool down!

July 23, 2006 10:57 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

I lived in the South once. For four years. It was on the cost so that made it easier to deal with but still. I just remember constantly seeking shade and air conditioning. Heat sucks.

July 24, 2006 12:02 AM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

lol Lorraine- l'd feel exactly the same but remember to be yourself. This blogger friend of yours most likely feels the same and is worrying about the boring bits too. Hey, we are all human- hope you find something cool to wear- l prefer milder climates too. At least at 90yrs. my skin will be the better for it but lets face it- will l care by then?? lol

July 24, 2006 2:24 AM  
Blogger Nicole Bradshaw opined...

It is both hot AND humid where I live. We manage by moving from one air-conditioned environment to another. I wake up at 5:30 a.m. to get my morning run in before the sun gets too punishing. Yikes.

July 28, 2006 1:46 PM  
Blogger rchandra opined...

Bihar 10th Time Table 2017
CAT 2017 Application Form
GATE 2017 Admit Card
ICSE 2017 Date Sheet
NEET 2017 Exam Date

December 12, 2016 2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home