Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Crazy

Overheard while working out this morning:

Woman 1: So, are you getting excited.

Woman 2: Oh, very.

Woman 1: And you're all ready to go? You rented your house?

Woman 2: Yes.

Woman 1: Are you at all nervous?

Woman 2: Oh, no. We're just hoping everything settles down before we get there.

Yes. Woman 2 is taking her family to Israel for an extended stay. I understand the affection American Jews have for "the Promised Land" and all the "next year in Jerusalem" stuff but holy Mother, how many kinds of crazy do you have to be to go willingly into a war zone with a Doris Day, "hope everything settles down" game plan? There are people being air-lifted out of that region, for crying out loud. I'm all for holding out hope for a swift and peaceful resolution because I'm a fracking Pollyanna but come on! Going to Israel right now seems about as sensible as driving in the wrong lane and hoping not to get hit.

In other news, I don't like things that are sticky. It's actually my least favorite part of parenting children. Yesterday I shooed The Child outside to play because I felt that 412 hours of computer time was plenty for one day. She was a little annoyed with me. There was a ball. It was flung with some, shall we say, enthusiasm, in the direction of the window before which sits my desk. Message received. Problem is, she nailed the humming bird feeder, thus flinging sticky sugar water everywhere (and depriving little flicker birds of a happy treat). The Spouse, nature loving good guy that he is, whipped up a fresh batch of sugar water for the birdies, which he put out this morning. (It's a lovely shade of blue, which he's hoping they find as attractive as they do red because we're out of red food coloring). Anyway, some of the sugar water got on the kitchen floor so now that's sticky. And this is the biggest problem in my life right now.

Also, Blogger was eating my posts this morning so I gave up and took The Child swimming at Meg's. Now we are both exhausted. Which is sorta messing with our very impressive afternoon to do list. Que sera sera. I'm too tired to feel like being a better mom and insisting we rise above our baser instincts. As long as the sugar mess is cleaned up before the ants attack.

And back to Israel, apparently the US plan is to hold off and let Israel bomb the crap out of southern Lebanon to "weaken" Hezbollah before Condi marches in on her Prada boots and helps set up a buffer zone that will be, theoretically, held/occupied/whatever by a multi-national force. Why am I not feeling confident of this plan? Oh, and while all this is going on, our president just vetoed his first bill ever. Because stem cell research is bad. It's bad! Much more bad, apparently, than fanatics of all stripes bombing women and children into fragments. That he can live with. Crap, I think my brain is bleeding again.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Display Name opined...

yes but stem cell research is decidedly sticky you know Lorraine. Messy messy sticky business. (I jest in lieu of tears)

July 19, 2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Well, I'm planning to go build my house in an active volcano. I really, really hope it calms down first...

You do hear some of the wildest things at the gym though.

July 19, 2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Inspired by you, Grish, I'm going to butcher a wild boar and BBQ it. Blindfolded. With one hand tied behind my back. Livin' on the edge, baby!

July 19, 2006 8:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Thinking about Israel and Lebanon makes me want to cry. And be hugged.

July 19, 2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You'll get your hug this weekend, honey.

July 19, 2006 9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I really think you should feed the ants, too. Just because they can't fly is no reason to penalize them.

July 19, 2006 10:21 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Golly, JP, I never thought of it like that before. Sugar for all the bugs! Viva la creepy crawlies!

July 19, 2006 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home