Friday, July 21, 2006

I Read the News Today. Oh, Boy.

The temptation is to:

bury my head in the sand (or maybe under the fertile soil of my burgeoning grade vines).

-or-

fantasize about what the world would be like if Al Gore had been allowed to be elected president.

(In this fantasy the goodwill extended by the world after 9/11 would have been used to strengthen allies, broker firm anti-terror partnerships with Arab nations that would have eradicated Al Qaeda, disbanded Hezbollah and developed the origins of a genuine peace between Israel & Palestine. Hamas would not have been elected because the Palestinians would have had hope. There would be no war in Iraq & over 2500 soldiers and countless Iraqis would still be alive. The Kyoto protocols would have been signed and green house emissions would be at an all-time low. The US would still be a super power and a force for good in the world. Domestically, we'd be sitting on a huge surplus, alternative energy would be prospering and the Constitution would be intact. Roberts and Alito wouldn't be on the bench. And as long as I'm fantasizing, I'd have a syndicated column, The Child would always turn in her homework and The Dog wouldn't bark at the neighbors. Oh, and "The West Wing" wouldn't have been cancelled, the Pallidinos would still be producing "Gilmore girls" and the Mariners would be in first place, up by 30 games over everyone else. Including the Yankees).

We live in interesting times. The temptation is to lament. To worry. To move to Iceland. I could rail against our misbegotten President and his abysmal lack of leadership until my brain bleeds. The temptation is to despair.

But fundamentally, except for the railing bit, it goes against my nature to give in. I want to hope. I don't buy the fundie/neo-con "Jesus is coming back so it doesn't matter" laissez-faire world view.

I believe I'm called to hope, to work for peace and justice. I believe I'm called to affirm the sacredness of life, including the lives of those in Gaza, Tyre, Nazareth and Beirut. I believe, because I have to, that Bill Clinton was right when he said that people are more good than bad and more intelligent than they are stupid (Brittany Spears is an obvious exception and I think Bill would back me up on that. And I necessarily have to except our "leadership" - to use the term loosely - but still).

Sling has a beautiful new granddaguther named Olivia Love. Figs are in season. My garden is growing and the house is filled with light. There is good music, good food and inexpensive wine to be had. I have friends. I have you. We have each other.

All of this is worth celebrating. It is worth fighting against despair and seeming hopelessness. I know it doesn't seem like much but it's all I've got and by God, I'm not going to let the Darkness crowd out the Light. Because if I do that, if you do that, then we really are fracked.

Hang in there, my little poodles. We have to hang in there. And that, as Forrest Gump would say, is all I'm going to say about that.




For those of you in the Seattle area, St. James Cathedral is hosting an interfaith prayer for peace on Wednesday, July 26 at 7pm. Because that won't hurt, either.

11 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

Wonderful sentiments

July 21, 2006 9:10 AM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

Pass the wine bottle Lorraine and lets dream on ;)

July 21, 2006 11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

May I say once again Nayb,

You rock.

XO

Nayb

July 21, 2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, honey.

Horizon, Can we take our glasses out into your beautiful garden?

Jonathan, Maybe we should and start a commune. Lord knows we'd eat well!

Nayb, Back atcha.

July 21, 2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Allan opined...

There's the glimmer I needed. Thanks!

July 21, 2006 2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

That was, no doubt, the shimmer of my tiara, dear Allen. The Czarina is all about the glimmer of the hope and the jewels.

July 21, 2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 21, 2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Wonderfully put. Although I'm afraid we're going to need a bigger flashlight soon.

I do like the idea of living in Iceland though. Might be an alternative to me living in an active volcano...

July 21, 2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Hear,Hear and Amen !

July 21, 2006 8:55 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ah, Sling. Here's hoping that we can somehow make a more peaceful world for that grandbaby of yours.

July 21, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Charlie, It feels like it. But look at it this way, if we all move to Iceland we'll be much closer to you! We can meet up for lattes and go Ned hunting. It would be brilliant.

July 22, 2006 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home