Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Audrey Hepburn



This is my baby sister, Audrey Hepburn. I love her.

I always loved her because she was the baby. But I didn't really know her very well. My brother and I are very close in age, there was a break and then came my sisters (4 kids in 5 1/2 years. Don't get me started). My other sister, Martha Stewart and I, well, hated each other growing up. Couldn't have been more different. Fought all the time. Audrey stayed out of the fray. And then I left home at 17 and a whole mess of family life/memory making/what-have-you proceeded without me.

Over the last 10 years or so, however, Audrey and I have rediscovered each other. And among other things, we really like each other. We don't necessarily agree on everything but none of that matters. When it comes to essentials we are of one mind. Our husbands have similar natures, which means we have like marital experiences. One of her children has learning struggles like The Child's so we understand each other's frustration and guilt and anxiety. We make each other laugh. We make each other think. Talking with her is effortless, whether we are being serious or silly. I never feel like I have to apologize for myself with her.














You don't chose your family. You love them (or not) because they are your family. You'd give 'em a kidney if they needed it. In the case of Audrey Hepburn, if she wasn't my sister and I met her at a cocktail party, I would totally want to get her phone number and be her friend. She's adorable and I love her. And she doesn't even read my blog.

4 Comments:

Blogger Molly opined...

But her daughter reads it so Audrey must get points for that... I'll direct her attention, Auntie!

July 12, 2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, yes, she gets points for having such a literate daughter. You should at least make sure she reads this one. Maybe I'll get a nice Christmas present out of the deal.

July 12, 2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I beg to differ, Some people can indeed choose their familys. Like all people named Jolie. :)

July 12, 2006 10:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish, I stand corrected.

July 12, 2006 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home