Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Remodel Revisited



2 years ago around this time we were remodeling our house. No. We were doing non-sexy but necessary work behind the walls, upgrading the plumbing and the wiring. But since we were going to be ripping things up anyway we also repainted 3 rooms and treated ourselves to a kitchen update.

We have what architects refer to as a "mid-century" house. This employs semantics to the extent of making our 1952 ranch/rambler (depending on what part of the country you're from) sound like something designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It's not. Although it does, admittedly, owe to that legacy and even that of the Arts & Crafts movement. Our house was built by craftsmen who cared about quality and longevity. It's solid bones and practical layout make up for what it lacks in architectural greatness.

This house didn't meet, by any stretch, the image either The Spouse or I had for our "perfect" house But it was in the city, in a good neighborhood, had the room we needed and we could afford it. And it has become, if not our perfect house, a perfect home.

Something of a sucker for anniversaries, I've been thinking about those 6 weeks of the remodel. It wasn't horrible, compared to some stories I've heard. We had one subcontractor who was less than impressive but we worked around it. (Thankfully, The Spouse knows quite a lot about electricity). We did a lot of work ourselves, patching and painting. I learned to tile (and a girl should have a trade).

The Child was probably the person affected most during the experience. She had to sleep on the couch for weeks as the main access to the bathroom plumbing was through her room. She often had to study at The Neighbor's house because it was too noisy and distracting over here. And she got bored with eating out. One night, when it was her turn to choose the restaurant, she said, "I choose home. I want you to cook". But she was a trooper and enjoyed the opportunities she had to go under the house.

Anyway. The above photo is one of my favorite interior views. I used a lot of color this time around. We get a ton of natural light, both from the east and the west so even on dank, rainy days the colors remain bright and cheerful. Sometimes, being so far out now from the mayhem, I start thinking about other projects. I wonder, frequently, about the challenges of having one bathroom come the day The Child decides to care about her appearance. But, not to put too fine a point on it, we are fortunate to have what we do. Any dreams and plans are moderated by the thought that if we never did another thing to this house it would be enough. This is a happy little house and I love it. That's all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Iwanski opined...

I dig the house. Looks like one of those places where you can tell cool people live.

March 07, 2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, thanks. I don't know about that but some of the people who visit are definately cool. And it is a great space for retro-Rat Pack parties.

March 07, 2006 4:54 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

I love the colors and that fabu light fixture.

And to think, our framed artwork is still stacked against the wall in our closet, where it's been for almost two years.

My excuse is that we live in an apartment. I feel like I'm staying in someone else's house.

March 08, 2006 6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home