Saturday, March 04, 2006

Spikers!


The first volleyball game of the spring CYO season was this morning. At 9 freaking o'clock. In Bellevue (which is on the other side of Lake Washington from us). I had not had near enough coffee, first of all, as there was only time to make one bowl of espresso. (Our coffee maker is sans an essential part at the moment. My bad and I don't want to talk about it). And I resent any situation which requires me to get up before 8 on a Saturday morning.

Query: why does it take cranking the stereo to 11 and small explosives to get The Child out of bed during the week but she could stay up until nearly midnight last night and bounce out of bed at the dot of 7 being all Miss Perky McPerkerson this morning?

The game was great. Our girls decimated the other team, 30-18 and 30-8. They don't especially look like killers. Most of the girls are of average to small in height. Even in uniform they have a somewhat rag-tag appearance. But they are smokin' good players. The Child has improved so much. During one of her serves (during which she scored something like 5 points) one of the dads turned to me and said, "Remember when she'd get up to serve and we'd all be crossing our fingers just hoping she'd get it over?" "Yeah," I replied. "Our little girl is growing up".

It's so great that she's found a sport she's good at, to see her so confident in her abilities. And I'm still hopeful of a volleyball scholarship. Could happen.

The good news is that the game is out of the way and we've got the whole fine day ahead of us. (The weather has been gorgeously spring-like this week). The Spouse has gone to Costco to buy a cherry tree and a French press coffee pot. I have a writing project to finish up and some serious blog reading to catch up on. And The Child is making calzone for dinner tonight. Color me excited.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Otilia opined...

I would see your away VB game and raise you one. Away BB game. 3 p.m. until 1 a.m., E.T.R., but as blessings would have it, it's too much for me, and The Athlete has a broken toe. And is scheduled to work at the coffee shop at 9 a.m. tomorrow on said removable cast. So, she is on the couch eating microwavable buttered popcorn, and I am spraying that nifty Clorox Anywhere cleaner in the wave, hoping it will cut the stench. Happy writing & reading! It is a fabulous day!

March 04, 2006 1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home