Monday, February 27, 2006

NSA, Did You Get That?


Conversations in our home are actually not worth spying on. More's the pity. But this was heard tonight:

Child: "I'm done with my definitions".

Me: "Did you look them up or did you guess?"

Child: (with tone of disdain) "I know what they mean".

Me: "Try me".

Child: "Forewarn. A warning before the warning".

Me: "Try again. And this time, look them up".

Child: "Mom!!!! I know what they MEAN!"

Moi: "And I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English from (university name to be withheld in order to preserve my secret identity) and I suggest you not try to argue with me about the correct meaning of words".

Child stomps off to dining room table, Webster's grudgingly thrust under her arm. (3 cookbooks fall to the floor in the process. She does not pick them up).

Spouse (entering stage left and offering a high five) "And you thought you'd never be able to use that degree".

4 Comments:

Blogger Grish opined...

lol to funny.- Grish

February 28, 2006 3:43 AM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Ha!

I've found that using an English degree is easy.

Using it to earn a living is another matter entirely.

February 28, 2006 4:30 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

I've used my English degree to acquire increasingly lower paying jobs with enough flexibility that if I have to spend a week in the hospital with Firecracker, I can do so. Yea English degree. But I can answer most of the brown cards in Trivial Pursuit.

February 28, 2006 6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

My daughter is using her English degree in Big Sky, Montana, where she speaks English while serving diners in a restaurant, and on the slopes while speaking to other English-speaking snowboarders.

February 28, 2006 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home