Thursday, March 02, 2006

On Reading Poetry to 12 Year Olds


I majored in English for the simple reason that the only subjects in which I was interested or for which I had any aptitude were reading and writing. I had no thoughts toward the usefulness of such a degree in the workplace. I didn't assume or pretend that a B.A. in English would get me much of anything except the pleaure of doing what I loved for credit. (I was once hired for an administrative job not because of my experience but because I was literate. Bonus).

The only thorn in my rosy collegiate experience was poetry. I loved reading it but the 2 poetry classes I took were all about the objective side: scansion, feet and meter, rhyme schemes. I undertand the merits of this. One should understand measurements and temperatures before attempting to make a roux. Technical understanding is behind the preparation of a good bechemal sauce but in the end, it's all about how things taste. Same with poetry. I was into the subjective side of it, how the words made me feel, what the images did in my head, connecting poetry to experience. My poetry profs were having none of that. Because after the a-b-a-b stuff they were also fairly tyrannical about the meaning of poems. There was only ever one accepted meaning and any attempt to argue for another was pointless. This was also troubling because it was not how I was learning to study other kinds of literature. If you found a meaning in The Old Man and The Sea that was outside the accepted interpretation of the book, so long as you could back that up from the text, you were fine. You might even be brilliant.

But the interpretation of poetry was presented so strictly, so apart from any subjective influence that it damn near killed my love of it. Not unlike too much theology getting in the way of faith. Fortunately, I was able to find my way back to a love of poetry and I no longer care if I'm "getting it all wrong".

I digress. Today was Literacy Day at The Child's school so I did my bit and read poetry to her class. Choosing the selections took weeks, given the 412 billion poems out there to chose from. It was wonderful to have their attention, to hear them laugh at the amusing poems, to have them applaud The Road Not Taken. Then, because I have a mean streak, I gave them a packet of the poems and an assignment for Monday, that will count toward their writing grade. (And I'm going to grade them, heh, heh, heh). But all they have to do is pick two of the poems that they like best, identify a "golden line" (one that stands out especially to them) and write a brief paragraph explaining their choice. Mrs. S. can teach them about the structure of poetry. I want to make sure they also learn to love it for it's very own sake.

As I told the class, first thing each morning I drink a cup of coffee, say a prayer and read a poem. All three conspire to nudge me to the place of affirmation and focus required to begin the day. I can't offer you a cup of coffee at the moment and whether you pray or not is between you and Whoever. But I can give you one of my current favorite poems. I haven't counted the number of feet and I suppose it's free verse or something similar. It's for sure not a sonnet. But I know it's true:

What We Need

The Emperor,
his bullies
and henchmen
terrorize the world
every day,

which is why
every day

we need

a little poem of kindness,

a small song
of peace

a brief moment
of joy.

- David Budbill

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

Fleas
Adam Had em

March 02, 2006 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

What year was that poem written? Becauase clearly the emperor is George W.

March 02, 2006 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

That was a typo. I know how to spell 'because'.

March 02, 2006 1:16 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

jpdc,

I don't have the exact date but it's from this decade. You have correctly identified the emperor. This will count toward your final English grade. I will not hold the spelling against you.

March 02, 2006 1:23 PM  
Blogger Amy opined...

Hello Lorraine - nice to have found your blog... I saw a nod in your direction on Highland Dreams... as well, from another blog I've visited recently which I just think is wonderful - i-land-i-site...

Amy

March 02, 2006 1:30 PM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

quite enjoying your blog..., I love going back to "first posts", I can identify with your thoughts on that one. I don't know what it is about the blog format that motivates one to write consistently, unlike saved Word documents. I wish blogging was an option during my 10 year stint as a SAHM. I meant to write it all down on large index cards, but it didn't turn out so well.

March 02, 2006 3:50 PM  
Blogger Diane S. opined...

jpdc's comment elicited a giggle from me.

I think coffee, poetry and prayer are an incredibly life affirming ritual. I may adopt it myself (I already have the coffee and prayer.)

I too, love poetry. I love it when the words dance on my tongue, linger and dissolve (I like poetry out loud). I like rhyme schemes and the flashpoint of stream of consciousness free verse. I like images and symbology, and I like precision of word choice.

A very enjoyable blog. I expect I may visit you often.

March 02, 2006 5:01 PM  
Blogger Middle Child opined...

Just dropped by Lorraine...on Charlie's recommendation. He has some really good and funny people on his links. I don't have the time to go right through your posts this afternoon but I enjoyed this first one. I like all things celtic... with a passion. Am a sort of "Australian" catholic... went to a Catholic boarding school...Mass every morning at 6am...finding my own way these days... but appreciated the excellent education and "way" and survived the many wierd things from the 1960's that were part of a really catholic education.

I used to really love Benediction when it was in Latin, with the Nuns choir singing. For me it lost something when that changed...but then I was 14 and rebelling against life the universe and everything.

Glad you are so close to your child. It was to me the most important job on the planet, and our two now 31 and 28 are two of the nicest and funniest adults I know. I am better friends with them than anyone really.

March 02, 2006 8:11 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Thanks for the Poem. - Grish

March 03, 2006 7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home