Thursday, March 09, 2006

Edy


I've added another link, to my friend Edy's blog, Hodgepodge. She's another one of those random people who found me by way of "Highland Dreams" Charlie. I heart her.

Edy is dealing with Hodgkins right now and she writes about that journey in her blog. Among other things. You might think that a blog about cancer would be a real downer and let's face it, it's not a happy, perky topic. But Edy has a remarkable spirit and a great sense of humor and I'd suggest that her writing on the subject is insightful, moving and even luminous, without getting all weird and creepy. How's that for a recommendation?

Anywho, some of her friends just shaved their heads in solidarity. 5 years ago my friend ChouChou had a recurrance of brain cancer (which she beat). She ended up not having chemo but half of her head was shaved for the surgery so it still seemed reasonable to shave my head. I actually liked having a shaved head. No bad hair days. Shower time was drastically reduced. Plus, it turns out that I have a big, round head. So I was compelled to wear lots of makeup and dress really pretty so I didn't scare little children or get hit on by other women. (I had a real Sinead O'Connor thing going on and I'd still have a shaved head if The Spouse had liked it as much as I did. He didn't).

There are lots of ways to show someone that you love and support them. Strictly speaking, shaving my head wouldn't do much for Edy because she'd never see it. She'll be healed and sassy by the time it grows out. But I can pray for her. Those of you who do such things might want to as well and y'all might want to drop by her blog and cheer her on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Curious Servant opined...

Just stopping by via a venn blog (like a Venn diagram, blogs we both visit).

I thought I'd say "howdy."

March 09, 2006 7:56 PM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

well, if that isn't about the nicest thing any non-blood relative has ever said about me. Yep, today is one of those days in which the whole world has been so incredibly nice to you, connected to you, and you with it...in a way that just doesn't happen in my non-cancer life. Having cancer is really great, except for the cancer part.

March 09, 2006 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home