Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Olympic Gold


The Child was in one of her thoroughly delightful, makes-me-glad-to-have-a-tweenager moods yesterday. It may have had something to do with the burgers and shakes for lunch (at a place called Mom's in the U Village, which we love). It may have had to do with her successful shopping expedition at The Gap. She found a great sweater on sale but what made it really special was that it was an XS on the women's side of the store. Excitement value right up there with her first school dance.

Whatever it was, she was in fine form as she prepared dinner last night, taking the time to get her mise en place together and preparing, with very little assistance, a delicious steak and pepper hash. Since she didn't have school I told her she could watch "Gilmore girls" with me but alas, no show. Luckily for us, last night at the Olympics was women's figure skating (short program). We love our figure skating. So we ate strawberries and watched that instead.

I know nothing about figure skating. I've never tried it, unable to muster the requisite suspension of disbelief required to stay upright on two thin blades while moving on a frozen surface. I have trouble walking in kitten heels. So I pretty much think everyone is turning in an amazing program unless they touch ice, fall on their butts or hit a wall. I have to rely on the Scott Hamiltons of the world to point out when a leg isn't extended fully or that a planned triple was executed as a double. Personally, I think you should get credit for staying upright with only one foot on the ice but for obvious reasons no one asked me.

We loved watching all these young women, critiquing their costumes, oohing and aahhing. Sasha Cohen was magnificent. It was an inspirational evening. There were, however, dishes to do and you know how I like waking up to a clean kitchen. So during a commercial break I went out to tidy up. The Child came with me. I started saying things like "Lorraine is taking the bistro glasses out of the dishwasher and moving toward the shelf...degree of difficulty is...OH! Unbelievable! She stuck that landing and now she's going back for more!" Suddenly, The Child was at my side, carefully washing a knife and saying, "The knife relay has been a challenge for some of the teams tonight...she hands it off to The Mother...Score! The knife is in the drawer!" In short, we completed the Mother-Daughter Kitchen Relay in a time of 5.736 minutes, setting a new record and winning the gold!

Later, at the medals ceremony, we remembered all the words to the National Anthem .

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

That's sure a great truth but alas I get picky when I'm going to win gold. From the moment i started practicing with her I got picky so I asked for chocolate on my strawberriess. Of course, I'm a gold medalist so I'm supposed to be picky. Right?

February 22, 2006 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home