Saturday, January 01, 2011

First Blog Post of the New Year

Do you ever do that thing where you wake up on the first day of the first month of a new year in a new decade where you think, "Oh, the first text message of the new year"..."Ah, the first cup of coffee of the new year"....like that?

It occurred to me this morning, when I received aforementioned text (at 7am...but from someone in another time zone so I forgive her), that my kid self did it a lot. Almost obsessively compulsively a lot. I have no idea why I was so struck by the occasion of things being a first; particularly given that we're not talking here about significant firsts (like cars or kisses). It was all of the ordinary and mundane: "this is my first breakfast of the new year"... "this is the first time I'm making my bed in the new year"..."I am not going to yell at my sister Martha Stewart for that stupid thing she just did because if I did then it would be my first yelling in the new year and I don't want to start out the new year like that"...

Maybe it was (is) my latent Celtic DNA, something that makes me predisposed to embrace turnings, shifts and tilts and to look for some personal meaning therein. I will, very shortly, cease the running "this is the first time..." commentary because my brain will refill with other noises. But it is a reminder of the importance not so much of firsts but of mindfulness. It's easy to be mindful on New Years Day. Because all is quiet on New Years Day. It's a day for lying around, for recovering from the night before. And in the quiet and the not-doing of New Years Day it is much easier to be aware. And that's still a quality I'd like to better cultivate in myself.

You know what I just realized? I've been very mindful so far in the new year. Yay me!

Happy felicitated new year!

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Willym opined...

And I get to be your first commenter of the New Year!!!!! And say welcome back.

January 01, 2011 10:33 AM  
Blogger Ruth Fraser Davis opined...

Rats! Willym got here first! I so wanted to be the first to welcome you back. Have missed you. Truly.

Looking forward to an exciting host of clever, witty and wise posts to come in this new year.

January 01, 2011 5:23 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Happy New year from your third commenter of the new year. It is nice to have you back here.

January 02, 2011 9:32 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Whoo hoo!

I don't know about clever, witty or wise, DJ, but I'm going to try.

Thanks, Mom.

(I think it's funny that my real mom and my other mom both commented but people who've never been to this blog wouldn't know which was which. Tee hee).

January 02, 2011 2:09 PM  
Blogger Lakshya Dhillon opined...

happy new year 2017 wallpapers
new year 2017 sms
Happy New year Quotes 2017
Merry Christmas Facebook Status
Top 50 SMS for New Year 2017
Happy Lori 2017
Happy Holi Images
Cards and Greetings
new year wishes
MysteryTips.CoM
Watch Live
Valentines Day 2017 Ideas and Saying
CBSE Results
Happy New Year 2017 Images
www.besthappynewyear.com

January 18, 2016 2:13 AM  
Blogger kingrani opined...

I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.

CashbackoffersCoupons.in
Snapdeal Cashback

January 12, 2018 3:26 AM  
Blogger OGEN Infosystem (P) Limited opined...

Thank you so much for such an wonderful blog. I’m really thankful to you for this informative article.
Website Designing Company in Delhi

January 23, 2019 9:03 PM  
Blogger The Corporate Gift opined...

This is one of the best things put in this blog. Get Corporate Gifts at the cheap rate at Thecorporategift in Delhi, India.
Corporate Gifts

August 27, 2019 2:26 AM  
Blogger Online Front opined...

Feeling good to read such a informative blog, mostly i eagerly search for this kind of blog. I really found your blog informative and unique, waiting for your new blog to read. We offers multipl digital marketing service:
Digital marketing Service in Delhi
SMM Services
PPC Services in Delhi
Website Design & Development Packages
SEO Services Packages
Local SEO services
E-mail marketing services
YouTube plans

November 09, 2020 11:08 PM  
Blogger Fidel Martin opined...

how do neon lights work ... A neon sign is an entirely different type of light display. ... As you may know, neon signs are made by taking an electric charge.

November 09, 2021 6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home