Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Beginning Snapshots

Washington DC was superfantastic. Just wanted to say that. It was very humid the first couple of days, then it rained, then it was clear and warm. The hotel was nice, the conference was enlightening and the food was yummers. (Really, is there anything better than a hotel buffet breakfast? I'm serious).

Sunday
Took the (very efficient) Metro out to Maryland where I was met by Ann, who took me to her house and fed me rhubarb pie.

We went to her church, where I met the effervescent and just-like-you-imagine-her
  • Mom. There was a lot of hugging.

    Then it was off to Baltimore with Ann and her kids (plus a boyfriend) to roam the streets and snap pictures of really old stuff. We had tapas for lunch. Fan.tast.ic.

    Evening cocktail party and a session with Dr. Donald Davis, a fantastic storyteller.

    Monday
    Another session with Dr. Davis and then an afternoon scavanger hunt. Our team was at the Capitol. Must say, the moment the dome came into sight I got all varklempt. There is something very majestic about it...something that says, "Hey, I was here when you were fighting about slavery, I was here when you were aguing about civil rights and I'm still here. Deal with it."

    Then we had a meeting with one of Senator Murray's aides. It was all very professional and then she invited us to the constituent coffee with the Senator and gave us gallery passes for the House and Senate. And I cried.

    Had dinner at the Monocle, where everybody who is anybody dines (except we didn't see anybody) and did some shoppng at Union Square. I bought some wonderful yellow heels.

    More later.

  • Labels:

    8 Comments:

    Blogger Anne opined...

    Don't leave me hanging like that. I need a picture of those heels. Sheesh.

    May 11, 2010 9:52 AM  
    Blogger Anne opined...

    You've got pictures of everything else....

    May 11, 2010 9:53 AM  
    Blogger Mom opined...

    It was so fun to meet you!
    DC is a very impressive town.

    May 11, 2010 10:18 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous opined...

    P, L, H, & B T's

    You obviously did not take my advice seriously.

    Remember, whenever (and I mean Whenever) there is a stress situation inhale through the nose and breath out the tension and excess emotion (maybe I just put tension) through your mouth.

    Makes one appear far more cosmopilitan and ver-klempt.

    Welcome back!!!

    Peace

    :+}

    May 11, 2010 12:16 PM  
    Blogger sageweb opined...

    very cool..I am jealous..

    May 11, 2010 1:04 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous opined...

    Pretty sure Omaha isn't going to top that. But I'll see what I can do.

    May 11, 2010 4:59 PM  
    Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

    Glad you had fun and even got a little verklempt. *smiles*

    And no, there are not many things better than a hotel buffet breakfast. :)

    May 11, 2010 7:18 PM  
    Blogger Doralong opined...

    Glad you had such a good time!

    May 12, 2010 5:18 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home