Monday, March 01, 2010

March On


Let's just pretend February never happened.

It's the first day of March and even though it's a frosty morning here in the Emerald City, there was plenty of bird song. Sure, the birds were no doubt saying things like, "Leonard, we should never have closed up the summer house so early" and "What did I tell you, Shirley? What? Another week or two in Miami woulda killed you?" but there was bird song nonetheless. And there are also blooming things. Of course, that owes largely to our nearly dry and completely snow-free El Nino of a winter but things are blooming and they are carrying spring in all their little green cells.

My sails were slack in February. (It's a stupid month. The only things it has to recommend it are Groundhog Day and my sister Audrey Hepburn's birthday. That's not much to go on). I am glad to see the backside of it and even if you don't join me, I'm going to ignore it completely.

Disclaimer: There are people all over the world who are in a really bad way right now. There are people in my life who are dealing with very difficult and scary circumstances. There are people in serious pain and I am very sensible of that when I tell you: ow ow ow ow ow.

I have been experiencing hideous pain from a tooth. I haven't had a lot of physical pain in my life. I had kidney stones once and THAT was a killer. I actually did think I was dying. Worst. Pain. Ever. Even more than childbirth, which is also on my list. But a couple of other times I've had reallyreally bad toothaches. You go around, minding your own business, brushing and flossing religiously and taking your calcium and avoiding the gummi bears and doing all that other stuff you're supposed to do and then one day a tooth just randomly decides that you haven't suffered enough in life; you need a root canal. Which is likely what is going on right now.

I have a call in to my dentist and hopefully she will call first thing this morning and she will fix me up. Or she won't call and I will go down to her office and sit outside the door and whimper until she pays attention to me. Either way, I'd better be feeling better tomorrow or it'll get ugly. (Although, on Sling's recommendation, I was applying whiskey to the affected area with a Q-tip and it numbed the pain enough that I could sleep. For which I was extremely thankful. But I can't walk around with a flask of Crown Royal at work all day so something more substantial must be done. Still, that was really good advice).

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Who says you can't walk around with a hip flask? If you empty it on duty, there could be a problem, but I don't think there is a rule against the flask itself.
on the other hand, ambesol works too and the container is a lot smaller.

March 01, 2010 7:57 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Right, but an empty flask sorta defeats the purpose, now doesn't it? So far the Motrin is holding. I just called the dentist again. Another hour here and mama is going to be shopping for a new dentist!

March 01, 2010 10:16 AM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny opined...

they should make whiskey flavored cough drops..

March 01, 2010 10:32 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Peace be with you, Mama. and a trip to Georgetown liquor at lunch is possible, too.

March 01, 2010 10:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Q- tip = Quart Tumbler

March 01, 2010 12:54 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

I too am glad that February is gone and our big snow is melting. I hate going to the dentist. Good luck with that.

March 01, 2010 1:25 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Amen, Yellowdog G.

Hey, how do you know about Georgetown liquor, Anne?

That's not nice, honey. Remind me to smack you later.

Thank you, Mom. And may it snow no more on your shores. At least until next winter. Y'all have had your share.

March 01, 2010 2:11 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Yup, February sucked. March had better be a better month or I might have to jump off the balcony. As for that tooth. Coincidentally I go to the dentist tomorrow....I lie to my dentist thinking that if I say everything is fine it will be......silly. I vote for a flask...a big one.

March 01, 2010 6:05 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Surely you can get away with tea bags at work.
Run one under some warm water,squeeze out the excess water,and place it on the tooth between your cheek/lip..whichever,for 10 minutes or so...it tastes all bitter,but it will cool the inflammation,and like Grandma used to say,'It'll draw out the poison'.
Still,nothin' beats industrial strength Ibuprophen.

March 01, 2010 10:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Oh, Anne said what I was going to say!
So sorry you are/were in pain. Hopefully it will be taken care of pronto.
Btw, Hellooooo! and sorry I haven't been around. Looks like you've gotten by okay without me. *smile*

March 02, 2010 4:21 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Wait a sec! If I said what Greeny was going to say, how does she know about Georgetown Liquors?

March 02, 2010 5:37 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

This has nothing to do with the subject at hand, but "Religion and Ethics Weekly" on PBS featured The Cathedral in Seattle this past week. I looked for you but you weren't there.

March 02, 2010 1:29 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

ROSIE! DON'T JUMP!

Oh, Sling, you and grandpa and all yer down home remedies. Thank heaven you are the repository of all that good folk wisdom and pass it on. And yeah, my new best friend is ibuprofen.

Greeny! Big hugs!!!!! Good to see you again, my friend.

Anne, I think Greeny is psychic.

Buck, what were they talkin' about. The "What if We Just Said Wait" campaign or sumpthin' else?

March 02, 2010 7:35 PM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

And my birthday, which you forgot. But at least you're consistent there. :)

March 04, 2010 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home