Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Smattering

Update:
Yesterday was much better than Monday. The Child and I had a talk about the hissy she'd thrown and cleared the air. We went out for a delicious dinner and watched "16 Candles" when we got home. She got lots of wonderful presents from wonderful people and went to bed happy. And so did I.

Small World Story:
We had dinner in a new sushi restaurant near our house. The woman who waited on us also owns one of my favorite little shops in the 'hood. (You may have heard that being a small business owner is currently not the easiest gig. So Shop Lady also takes some shifts at the sushi restaurant to keep body and soul together. She's amazing). Even though I've been shopping in her store for quite a while now, we'd never formally met so we took care of introductions over dinner. Then she pulled out her phone and friended me on Facebook. A little later she came back and asked, "How do you know Pat Briscoe?" Some of you may remember Pat from the early bloggy days. I told her about our virtual acquaintance and then she said she'd gone to high school with him. Six degrees of separation, baby. It's for real, I tell you.

Amazing Food:
Yesterday MAB brought me a little treat from a bakery near her new digs. It was a "pancakes and bacon" cupcake....delicious cake studded with little sugary bits of bacon, a creamy butter and maple frosting adorned with more bits o' bacon (as opposed to Baycun Bits, mind you). It was the best. thing. ever. I'm going to try and adapt it into a cake for our Carnevale feast. Fantastic.

Good Read
I've started reading "Just Kids" by Patti Smith. It is beautiful. She writes like she's from another century; dense, deliberate, poetic language where every word is clearly chosen with great care. Not at all what you'd expect from the Queen of Punk.

Good News:
The Child lost her cell phone in a train station yesterday. On the way to the car after dinner I got a call from a guy who'd found it. He's bringing it to my office today. He doesn't know this, but I'm giving him a reward. Dude just saved me $100 on the replacement phone. It's the least I can do.

Don't Forget:
The President's State of the Union address is tonight. I always watch the SOTU, even if I don't like the guy delivering it. This year will be a treat; not only do I very much like and support The President, I just adore listening to him speak. I just hope there aren't any arse Republicans planning to pull a Joe Wilson tonight. Idiots. I've really come to loathe the GOP.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

snaps for the phone finder.



word veri: squakies
(tee)

January 27, 2010 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Wanted to call last night but didn't want to interrupt family dinner and movie time, which sounds like it was needed and enjoyed.

And I wouldn't dare interrupt durin the SOTU, so we will talk soon and leave it at that.

January 27, 2010 11:36 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

i am lost in fiction at the moment...good for my soul sometimes. have the SOTU in the dvr to record in case I fall asleep at the dinner table.

January 27, 2010 1:58 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Totally cool on the serendipitous six-degree thing,and the becalmed Child thing,and the good samaritan thing!..Expecting the Republicans not to make an arse-like move is probably asking a little too much.

January 27, 2010 5:58 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Glad to hear things are improved on the homefront.
I do like Pesident Obama

January 27, 2010 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home