Monday, November 09, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

You can feel it in the air, can't you? The tingle of anticipation, the look on the face of small children. It's in the lights and the decorations and, of course, the menu planning. Now the festive music of the season can be sung, the candles lit, the sport peppers sprinkled liberally upon the dogs...

Ahhhh....Iwanskifest.

That sacred three days when we celebrate the one and only, John Iwanski. The Box o' Gout arrived last week and tonight we will dine on Chicago style hot dogs (no ketchup, just a hint of celery salt) and sing Iwanski carols. Tomorrow night it's ribs, Wednesday we'll have deep dish pizza and then cheese cake to mark the occasion.

It is a time of good will, a time to focus on all things Chicago and the man who embodies, more than any other living person, the greatest that is the Windy City. It is a time to re-dedicate ourselves to the importance of intelligent smart-assery, wonkiness and wit...the gifts the great Iwanski shares with us all.

I just lovelovelove this time of year.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

where's my box?

November 09, 2009 8:37 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

oh my god Chicago hot dogs - I would kill for one of those! Well okay maybe not kill but... the two years we lived there were amongst the best of all our travels. Love me some Chicago!

November 09, 2009 10:15 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Maybe you weren't a good girl this year, Anne.

Wills, right? Seriously one of the great American cities.

November 09, 2009 5:57 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

< sniff >
what chores do I need to do to make mommy happy?

November 09, 2009 6:06 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

In a civilized society,we would get three days off with pay during Iwanskifest!

November 09, 2009 6:55 PM  
Blogger sfoofie opined...

My list of food items after delivering healthy baby girl: sushi, margarita, chicagoski dog

November 10, 2009 6:47 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I vote for three days of frivolity, drink, dancing in the streets and all of that food....there's beer too, right?

November 10, 2009 12:45 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Aww, Rainey--you're so sweet! *smiles* Thank you for being so nice to my favorite person in the world :)...Iwanskifest rocks!! :)

P.S. FYI, the link to Iwanski's page doesn't seem to be working--just thought I'd let you know.

November 10, 2009 5:37 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

So does that other Chicago native get to come - you know the one who moved to the white House last year?
what bird sits in a pear tree for Iwanskifest?

November 10, 2009 5:54 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Clean your room, Anne, and tidy out your sock drawer.

True dat, Sling. Maybe we should start a group on Facebook. To raise awareness and all that.

Sfoof, I hear that. Sushi was one of my first post-baby foods, too.

Right, Rosie. You're vice president of the Facebook awareness raising group.

MHP, how can we do other than honor the greatest Chicagoan what does live?

And thanks for that heads up...since I spilled wine on my laptop I can't cut and paste anymore (suckage) so I tried typing in the link. Musta got somethin' wrong.

Mom, the Prez has a standing invitation. In fact, I'll cook for him any damn time he wants.

And it's not so much a bird as a cub.

November 10, 2009 6:03 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Incluing the closet munging?

November 10, 2009 6:44 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Wow! "Honored" could not begin to describe how I feel. Your menu sounds great!

Also, hey, thanks for the lovely song on the answering machine!
I can't believe you guys did that! :)

You Thomas folks are so cool. Thanks for brightening my day.

November 10, 2009 7:48 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Thanks for my "Miss Healthypants" song, too! I love you guys--you crack me up! :)

November 11, 2009 6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home