Thursday, July 30, 2009

It's All True

Yesterday the official recorded temperature was 102°, the highest for that date in Seattle history.

I admit, that's a little hot.

Traditionally, homes in the Northwest don't have AC. It just isn't historically necessary. A few years ago The Spouse bought a window unit for our family room. I berated him soundly. What was he thinking, spending hundreds of dollars on something that would be used maybe MAYBE one or two days out of the year? Amortizing out the cost, however, proves it to be a wise decision. Not to mention that right now you can't lay your hands on any cooling unit in any home store in the area. Seriously. MAB just bought a unit that had come off the truck 15 minutes before and by the time they checked out the supply was depleted again.

And we have fans for the other rooms, which makes sleep possible, even when there is no air coming through the open windows.

The Dog has a big bowl of water. I feel bad leaving him shut up in the house each day until The Child returns from summer school. But he's coping in his own doggie way.

Also, I have increased my sandal wardrobe and yesterday bought some more flowy "Jai Ho" skirts to wear to work.

In the evenings we dine al fresco and then sit in the back garden until it is dark. Last night we ran the sprinkler and would occasionally douse ourselves. Who doesn't love a douse in a sprinkler?


Plus, heat greatly diminishes my appetite so I'm pretty sure that by the time this is all over I will have lost a few unnecessary pounds. That's not a bad thing.

The temps are going to start coming down. It's only supposed to get to 101° today. See how we adapt?

And adaptation is the bottom line. I was telling someone the other day that Seattleites need to learn how to drive in snow and function when it's hot. People in the Northwest are, I believe, complete and total weather wimps. We whine if it's too cold, we whine if it's too hot. And trust me, traditionally "too hot" is anything over 75°. And we make far, far too big a deal of the weather, even on an official basis. (Our weathermen and women are among the most hysterical (as in crazy raving over-reaction) around. "Snow in the forecast!!!!!! How will it affect your commute????????? Temperatures in the 100s!!!!!!!!!!! Arrrrggghhhh!!! We're all gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

The way I see it our weather patterns very well may be changing and the best plan in my view is to accept the new normal and shut the H up. I'm quite sure that your personal body temperature increases several degrees with every complaint about the heat you make. And complaining distracts you from the blessings. Last night I was having (iced) cocktails with The Neighbor and a gorgeous cool breeze started to blow, rustling the leaves of her fruit trees in the most musical way and cooling our skin. I stopped and just paid attention to that breeze. It felt so very, very good. Without the heat I would have completely taken that breeze for granted and that would have been sad.

Now if you'll please excuse me, I'm going to go ice my feet.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Al In The County opined...

Oh you poor thing! I remember the hell of heat in Seattle, and over 100 is just plain wrong. No one here has air conditioning either, for the same reason, so I dread a really hot day. But at least we can function in snow...

July 30, 2009 7:28 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I had seen you all were breaking records on the national news last night. Was sorta feeling sorry for you guys...

July 30, 2009 7:47 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I love hearing about the weather. Still, I cannot imagine that kind of heat with no air conditioning. I would need lots of popsicles.

July 30, 2009 8:17 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Wow, I have been listening to my family complain on the facebook how hot it is in the PNW. My Mom and Dad live in a big brick house, no ac. It used to get so hot in that house us kids would sleep outside in the backyard.

77 degrees here...just sayin.
THis has been the mildest, coldest summer I can remember down here.

July 30, 2009 8:18 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

wow you have us beat some! We're hovering around 34-37c guess thats about 93-98 for the past three weeks with more to come for the month of August. And you're right about that breeze.. we were eating on the balcony last night and suddenly a breeze came up.. rushed through the pines and we were so aware of it. We do have a/c but only in den for the pups... otherwise its fans on and windows open.

July 30, 2009 9:34 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Life is better when counting our blessings.

July 30, 2009 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

We haven't even hit 100 yet, which is odd for us this late in the summer.

And I don't mind the heat and even like it, but that's partly because I can go back inside to the air conditioning whenever I want to.

July 30, 2009 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha


Ah yes, "The Rollercoaster Effect" thank you so much President Reagan and the Republican party!!!

Remember our coldest April and early May ever? Yes that was this year too.

Oh well, who ever wanted a boring life?

Peace

:+}

July 30, 2009 8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

We haven't had a lot of heat down here--I don't know if we've had more than a couple of days over 90, and most of the summer it's topped out in the mid-80s--but we've been running 50-75% humidity, and that's what's been causing me to melt into puddles and put fans in all the rooms for the cats' benefit. (Okay, mine too, but heat-stressed cats I do NOT need!)

But this too shall pass. Especially if the weather folks are right about this being an El Nino year...

p.s. Syd here, btw.

July 30, 2009 9:06 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Steve did the same thing with an air conditioner...i snorted at first and then was glad we did it...now we have 2. I love the local weather bookies...very dramatic yes and almost always off the mark. The highest it has gotten here is 94.

July 31, 2009 3:00 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

We had like,12 straight days of 100+ temps,and it was starting to drain the give-a-damm outta me.
the last few days have settled down into the low 90's,..a huge difference.

August 03, 2009 4:02 PM  
Blogger Fuff opined...

Hi Lorraine. I hope you can help. I have been trying to access City Mouse's (MyIsim) blog. It's been a while since I have blogged and would really appreciate it, if you could ask her to add me to her invited list; as her blog has gone private.
Thanks
Fuff

August 04, 2009 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home