Monday, July 27, 2009

Shade is Your Friend


It's very hot and dry in Seattle. We've had less than an inch of precipitation in the month of July. I don't think it rained much in June, either. Anyway, the temps are supposed to be in the 90s all week and the latest forecast suggests that it won't cool down (into the 70s) until next week.

Here's the thing. We had a dreadful winter. It was long and cold and wet and it snowed for 5 months. (It didn't snow for 5 months straight but we had snow at least one day every month for 5 months...which is way unusual. And of course, we're not forgetting that there was heavy snow in December, resulting in many event cancellations and a white Christmas). All people did for 5 months was complain about how miserable the weather was. And now they are complaining about the heat.

I kinda want to slap 'em.

If it was a typical Seattle summer right now, everyone would be all, "Damn, when are we going to get a break?" and "Just one day without rain, is that too much to ask?" and "I swear, I don't remember the last time I had a tomato ripen," and "Good thing I didn't put away the woolens this year".

Now I admit, it's certainly hot. On Saturday morning The Child and I were working in the front garden and it got so hot that we turned on the sprinkler and soaked ourselves as we worked. It was either that or heat stroke. But it was fun and it felt great and we got our project done. And then we pretty much laid around the rest of the day. (Laying around is a good strategy in the heat...works for The Dog and The Cat).

Come on, people! It's summer. It's supposed to be hot. How do you think iced tea got invented? Embrace it. Run in a sprinkler. Soak your feet in ice water. Drink a beer. Lie in the shade. Cook dinner outside. Seek out air conditioned restaurants and movie theaters. Hit the beach. Sleep on top of the blankies. Buy a fan. But for the love of God, stop complaining about sun in summer! It's going to be over all too soon and trust me, you're going to miss it when it's gone. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find something sleeveless to wear to work.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Austin Texas has had 33 days straight of temps over 100. And a draught. I am SO glad I'm in Chicago. Seattle would be nice too.

July 27, 2009 7:59 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

You know Winter here was awful. Summer has not been to bad we have gotten all of your rain and you have borrowed 15 degrees of our daily heat...good times :P

July 27, 2009 8:16 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

I have nothing to complain about. Except we are still wearing sweatshirts at night. Our weather has been extrememly mild. Barely had the fans on this year. .

July 27, 2009 8:38 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Amen, sistah!! I loves me some summer heat!! *smiles*

July 27, 2009 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

We are not having a hot summer here, and I like them. And you know if I moved to Seattle everything would switch back around again as soon as I got there.

July 27, 2009 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Bet ya my tans better than yours!

Bowling is good too. Air conditioned exercise.

Peace

:+}

July 27, 2009 5:13 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

We had a dreadful winter here - rain almost every day from October until May; there were floods - the Tiber rose 50 ft overnight - and landslides. The fact that we are now having a heat wave in June-July that we shouldn't get until August has not been a problem - hell it just dries things out. And you're right Rainey - take a tip from the animals - its too hot just lay about snooze, read and surf with the occasional stop for a drink of something cool. Works for them!

July 27, 2009 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home