Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I Want a Coonskin Cap

It was hot last night. Windows-full-open-and-not-a-trace-of-breeze hot. Lying-on-top-of-the-sheets-and-sweating-anyway hot. While that made sleep difficult enough, somewhere in the wee hours all the dogs in the 'hood started barking and then came the ever so hideous cry of a raccoon. The Dog was just beside himself, running to windows and growling and barking. And every once in a while we were treated to the thump-di-thump-di-thump of the damn coon running across our roof.

We got up a couple of times to see what we could see and to try and persuade The Dog that he was a good dog but really should come to bed (and shut the hell up) but he was having none of it. We tried to go back to sleep and then he got particularly worked up again so I got up. Plus, I was worried about The Cat, who had taken off in the night as cats are wont to do.

The Dog was at the dining room door looking decidedly to the north but I couldn't see anything. Then The Cat came sauntering up on the deck. I watched as she stopped halfway, padded a few more steps then froze and slowly sat down, looking the same direction as The Dog. I followed their gaze and there it was, the pointy face of the offending raccoon. It was a juvenile so I felt quite sure it's the one who was breaking into the house (until we started blocking the cat door at night and hiding the dog food). Anyway, I got The Spouse to come restrain The Dog so I could save The Cat from being an early morning snack. I banged on the window and the 'coon took off under the deck. I grabbed The Cat and hustled back inside.

Then The Dog's sister, who is visiting, finally heard all the commotion and came out to join the barking frenzy.

Today I think I'm going to call the city and see if they have raccoon traps. Or BB guns. Because this is getting ridiculous.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Mom opined...

I am now singing, "Davy, Davy Crokett, King of the wild frontier."

July 22, 2009 8:03 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

didn't i tell you about coon caps will be all the rage very soon?

yes, i did.

July 22, 2009 8:20 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

My daddy down in Texas makes raccoon traps. I could have one sent to you.
But then, there's the issue of disposing of a live, trapped raccoon. It's not pretty.
And sometimes a skunk gets trapped instead.

July 22, 2009 8:21 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

You could always take some dog food down the street leaving a trail...then everynight for a week feed the raccoon down there away from your house. Or shoot him.

July 22, 2009 9:38 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

And you did not mention that throughout the rest of the night the dog came to my side of the bed and barked at me to let him outside. I think I got 10 minutes of sleep after 3 AM

July 22, 2009 9:48 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I was just at the hardware store an noticed an E-Owl. It's an electonic owl that's supposed to ward off predators. When it senses a critter, it turns its head toward the critter and hoots. Haw about that?

That would send me running.

July 22, 2009 11:19 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

I think the hooting owl might freak me out as well. I have no wisdom as how to get rid of raccoons. I don't think I've every seen one. We always had problems with oppossums and squirrels. But I had a stuffed raccoon as a baby. I carried it around so much its tail fell off and had to be reattached with a safety pin.

July 22, 2009 2:14 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Havaheart traps work like a charm... However you then have to wait for animal control to come and relocate the pesky critters. Funny we had a pair of marauding coons take up residence at the hotel we were staying at in Mexico- amused the hell out of the kids. I guess all those room service trays would make for some pretty high living.

July 23, 2009 4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

That area does have a few and you do need to get it quick before it becomes a party. A 22 would do it, not a BB gun. Oh, you were just wanting to scare it. oops.

Howsomever the trap really does seem like the way to go. Ya, ya gotta put up with the animal control people but its best to do it quick and get it over with.

Those beasts are real creatures of habit.

Good luck, sorry to hear of your troubles with nature but its really all a lack of proper regulation of pests.

A lot like our current financia crisis.

Peace

:+}

July 23, 2009 2:50 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Aren't racoons in season? jk lol

July 24, 2009 6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home