Friday, April 24, 2009

Girl Singers



I have shared before about the challenges of The Child's academic career which has been, shall we say, somewhat fraught. I have also waxed philosophic about the parental struggle to inspire her to her own particular brand of greatness, which need not be manifested in a straight A average but which, nonetheless should also amount to more than a shrug and a "So?" because she has to go to summer school. My maternal struggle is not and never has been about scoring one of those nifty "My child is an honor student" bumper stickers but about making sure that The Child leaves this house with the tools she needs to succeed. Tools like self-respect and discipline. And yes, I would enjoy it very much if she was someone who knew how to think and express that thought in intelligent ways.

Anyrant, academic successes being far and few between with her, yesterday was a red letter day. She was invited -by the director- to join the all-girl choir for next year. She had been perfectly content to stay in the anyone-can-join choir that she sang with this year. You don't have to audition to be in the Singers but the director reserves the right to tell you that you are not ready for it. Which is why The Child didn't sign up. She didn't think she was ready. But her teacher does. And she was veryvery happy and veryvery proud.

Here's another girl singer; a lass whose acquaintance I made through Sling a while back. She's quite delightful.








Lisa Hannigan "Lille"

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

Super happy for The Child..that is so cool.
The video and song were fabulous. I want those books.

April 24, 2009 7:52 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Pretty cool, Sage. And yeah, aren't they awesome? Sometimes the depth of human creativity just blows my little pea pickin' mind.

April 24, 2009 8:21 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Good on The Child!
You know getting an invitation is great for the confidence.
..and the video continues to perpetuate my hopeless crush on Lisa.

April 24, 2009 11:14 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

doh!

i stopped by to comment this morning and got waylaid. three cheers for the child. pie?

April 24, 2009 12:50 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

The one, and I mean one thing I loved in high school was choir. The daughter will sing her heart out I bet.

April 24, 2009 2:36 PM  
Blogger Susan from the Pacific Northwest opined...

Yay for your daughter. And Yay for the teacher too - I'm so grateful for teachers that provide this sort of encouragement to our kids. Being in a good choir is awesome in so many ways.

April 24, 2009 2:48 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Can I be her accompanist when she auditions for Julliard?

I am SO proud of her!

April 25, 2009 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home