Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Twas 2 Days Before Christmas

You know I love my job, right?

Because today is the first time ever since I started working when I feel really pinched between what what I have now and what I used to have. To whit, a year ago I was at home, at leisure and busily making preparations for Christmas. This year the list in my head of things to do keeps getting longer. Last night, in the middle of the night, there was a lot of "oh, my yord, and another thing"...sorts of moments. (I had some awake time, what with the terrifying dream I had last night, so terrifying that The Spouse had to wake me up because I was crying out.
"What was the trouble", you kindly inquire? It's a tossup. In the dream I was watching a youth try to break into The Neighbor's house with a broom handle while I tried to call 911 on my cell because our phone line was out. But I was also 4 or 5 months pregnant and had missed all my prenatal visits, because apparently my subconcious self is the Queen of Denial. It was terrible).

Point is, tomorrow is Christmas Eve and there's stuff to do and up until this year that just ocassioned a day of happy hustle bustle as I put the finishing touches on celebrations but I don't know when I'm going to wedge in any of it now. Not to mention, everything is completely up in the air because the snow is still everywhere (except, you know, where it's turned to treacherous ICE) and no one really knows what this week is going to be like anyway. Will the next storm come as predicted? Because if it does, we won't be making it to church on Christmas Eve. Which will be the weirdest. thing. Ever. The last time we had a white Christmas we lived downtown and could walk to church. That's over.

"But," you say, being practical like you are, "you have all day Christmas Eve to decorate and start the brioche dough for Christmas morning and wrap the last of your presents. You'll even have time to clean the corners, start the soup and update Quicken. Silly goose".

"Nuh-uh," says me. "I have to work on Christmas Eve and so does The Spouse".

"Oh," says you, "that kinda sux".

"Yep," says me, "it really kinda does".

(Although I did forget to mention one good thing. In fact, I am about to praise George W. Bush. No. Really. He gave federal employees Friday off, with pay. Snaps to him. But that doesn't really resolve my pre-Christmas issues. Still, it was really nice of him).

Bottom line, I really wish I had today off because then all I have to do would feel like joyous hustle bustle and not a list of oh-mi-goshes.

On the other hand, I'm not really 5 months pregnant.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Blogger opined...

My sympathies go out to you, and I realise this is won't be a comfort to you, but every year the Divine L and I are so grateful that our chosen professions allow us not to be at work in the run up to Christmas.

Just go one recipe at a time, and you'll get there in the end.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

December 23, 2008 8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Wow, 5 months and you're not even staring to show.

Take your vitamins.

December 23, 2008 9:54 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

What gets done, gets done. What doesn't simply doesn't. Working mother's mantra dear. The world really won't stop spinning and all will still have a very Merry Christmas.

December 23, 2008 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Hhhhhhmmmmm? While "The Child" may be limited in many ways (ie. no driving) I do believe all would enjoy the pleasant surprize as to how much of an adult she is. Time to work her little fingers to the bone!!! Bwa haw haw haw!!!

Sure you are already, however you and spouse are so very nice that I doubt if you see the opportunity here. Time to be mean to be nice. lol

Just in case you don't get a chance to make another entry.

Merry Christmas!!!

Peace

:+}

December 23, 2008 11:22 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

I know its no concilation but we're in the same boat. And with the strange shop hours here.... so its up before work tomorrow and off to the market at 0700... then over to the Wine Store at break... and we got off at noon but most of the stores are closing at 1300 until Friday though many of them are closed until Monday. Thank god we got the geese today so at least we'll have a main course not matter what.

And as Dora says - what gets done gets done and its will still be a great Christmas.

Baci a tutti di Roma

December 23, 2008 12:56 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Knowing you as I do,I'm confident you'll handle everything in time!..to begin New Year's preparations.
Have a Joyous Christmas my dear friend!

December 23, 2008 3:45 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Have a Merry Christmas...I still am hoping for warm weather up there.

December 23, 2008 4:38 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Wait a minute....did I read that you thanked GWB? Lorraine, you know that there has to be something in it for him, right?

As for all of those things that need to be done....I declare that Christmas is officially 3 days long....there, lots of time. I am an old lady with delusions of power.

December 23, 2008 5:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You're right, Dariush. No comfort at all. But have a happy Christmas anyway!

JP, right? 'cept I really should knock off the champang-ya.

I'm going to take that to the bank, Cuz.

Oh, Anonyba, you are sooooo right. Merry Christmas!

Goose for Christmas, Wills? Whoo hoo! I'll be right over.

Sling dear, that's exactly what it feels like!

Sage, warm it's not...and more snow is supposed to be coming tonight. My toes are freezing! Happy Christmas!

Rosie, yep...I said something nice about W. I know, the world really is coming to an end. And we keep all 12 days of Christmas...but that still doesn't get the Christmas morning brioche started on time!

December 23, 2008 6:26 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Just breathe and count your blessings.
Christ has come. Hallelujah!
Merry Christmas my friend.

December 23, 2008 7:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I hope the list is shorter now and you are calming down.
I have gotten quite good at paring down a list when time gets short.
Merry Merry Christmas, Lorraine! I'll lift one in your honor.

December 24, 2008 4:03 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I did get most of my packages wrapped last night, Mom. That helped. A very merry Christmas to you, too, my dear! I'll see your "Hallelujah" and raise you a "gloria in excelsis Deo".

Clinkies, dear Greeny. Toasting with friends in this fine season is way more fun than silly lists. What list? You got some plum pudding?

December 24, 2008 7:10 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Sorry you have to work today (Christmas Eve), Rainey--I hope they let you go home early!

Merry Christmas!! :)

December 24, 2008 10:43 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It turned out great, MHP. MAB and I went Christmas shopping in the morning, had lunch, did a little work and then she sent me home. I love my boss.

December 24, 2008 6:57 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

yeah, a week in the carribean only cost me 3 days annual leave.

Bush: smart things 1, dumb things .....

December 28, 2008 12:19 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

...still counting

December 29, 2008 5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home