Monday, December 01, 2008

Can You Believe it's December Already?

There was a whole chunk of the night last night where I wasn't sleeping. The Spouse's alarm didn't go off which meant that when mine did the first words out of his mouth were not exactly lyrical and soothing. And perhaps I should say a word about my alarm clock.

I had a radio alarm, but the reception on my side of the room was hideous and I could never get anything beyond a very irritating hummy buzz of noise when it went off. Which was very annoying, especially since The Spouse's alarm always goes off to the dulcet tones of Steve Inskeep. So I bought a Baby Ben...a clock that is so retro it has to be wound every night. It has an absolutely appalling ring. In fact, to call it a "ring" is to insult all the bells in Christendom. It makes a gross, rattling tone that grabs you by the vitals and throws you out of bed. But it's effective.

Point is, the day did not begin with promise and yet I feel perfectly happy and content. Perhaps it's to do with the loveliness of yesterday, the first day of Advent. Church was lovely, the day was lovely (very foggy but nifty in that). We worked together to clean the house within an inch of its life, I bought 75 ft of sweet smelling garland to swag all the front windows of the house and we had a nice dinner last night which included an Advent prayer time that set the tone for the season. Plus, I got to open the first window on the Advent calendar, which meant chocolate.

So yeah, I'm a little tired and am pretty sure that massive quantities of coffee will be required today but it's all good.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I've always thought that The Church needed WAY more Adventy hymns. There just aren't enough of them. You can only sing O Come, O Come Emmanuel so many times. . . .

December 01, 2008 7:13 AM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

very true Buck. I am hoping this month goes by fast.

December 01, 2008 8:03 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

I love Advent.

December 01, 2008 10:57 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I love Baby Bens!..
The whole world can be cast into the technological abyss,and the ever faithful wind up clock will still wake you up in time to gather well water for your morning cuppa joe.
..I have to disagree with Buck on one point.
I could sing 'O Come,O Come Emmanuel till the entire Lutheran congregation ex communicates me!..I love that song.

December 01, 2008 11:17 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Buck, I almost wrote about the plethora of Advent hymns in the Cathedral hymnal. Yesterday we sang "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus". It was awesome.

Ready for the year to be over, Lost?

Me too, Mom.

Sling, the fact that Ben is reliant only on my remembry to keep working is actually a pretty cool thing, indeed. Plus, there's just something so satisfying about winding a clock.

(And don't tell Buck or Lost, but I'm a fan of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" myself).

December 01, 2008 12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Shouldn't one have a nicer and more empathetic alarm clock considering the wellbeing of "Super Spouse"?

You know of course that teenage boys are never grumpy.

In my dreams.

Peace

:+}

December 01, 2008 12:47 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh I use to love the advent calenders. I also love those crazy old alarm clocks...I have an alarm my IPOD sits on...for the last month for some reason, the "random" song that is waking me up is the YMCA by the village people.

December 01, 2008 1:27 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Why does the advent calandar not end with a giant chocolate Jesus?

December 01, 2008 2:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

But Anonyba, The Spouse gets up a good hour earlier than I...Ben does not bother him. (Well, except today, when it went off and his hadn't and he started the day running late. But in that instance, I think he was grateful). And yeah, I've heard that about teenage boys...

Sage, there is something, uh, sage in that whole YMCA thing, methinks. I'll figure it out...

Dude, right? The advent calendar to end all advent calendars would be a whole frakking nativity scene rendered in dark chocolate and caramel. Bet there'd be waaaay more Christians if we did that!

December 01, 2008 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home