Monday, September 08, 2008

Wherein I Babble

The place where I work is brand new. We're having our ribbon cutting this week. But, as with any new place, there are all sorts of last minute details to be seen to; like getting in computers. I've been without an Internet connection for 2 weeks. Can you imagine? Golly, I feel so disconnected from what's going on in Blogtopia...no time to read other blogs, no time to comment on my own. It's really quite unpleasant. Hopefully that circumstance will change by the end of today and then I can be like all the rest of you, with your surreptitious blogging from work. (Actually, I may even be encouraged to do a little blogging from work...MAB isn't thrilled about waiting for her Project Runway recaps).

What else? I've lost 3 pounds since I started the job. I spend a lot of time running around, lifting stuff and going up and down stairs. This is superfantastic.

I'm bird happy with my gig, btw. Bird happy. I knew it was, on paper, perfect for me but it really and truly is. MAB is the best boss because she respects my work and trusts me to do it without micromanagement. Actually, I'm sorta become Radar to her Captain Blake. Which I love. My best jobs have always been the ones where I know my boss well enough to anticipate what he or she is going to need. It makes me happy to make other people happy.

The home front is simmering nicely. Now, Cuz and Mouse, you might want to leave this page up and encourage your spouses to move in the general direction of your computer. Because The Spouse is being awesome. It's not just that he made that suggestion a couple weeks ago about helping out more. He's really doing it. The other night we were talking about the menu for this week and he said to plan for him to cook Monday through Wednesday since I'd be especially busy getting ready for the ribbon cutting. To be perfectly honest with you, he's adjusting to this better than I am. I still haven't quite figured out how to come home at night, switch gears and do homekeepingish things. I'm sure I willl, but the fact that he stepped into the breach right away is just blowing me away.

And The Child, oy. She is LOVING school. She has a whole lunch table full of friends, which you know just warms my mommy's heart. And from what I can tell, she's stepping up to her academic responsibilities and getting her homework done when she gets home. I suspected the whole not-having-me-standing-over-her-thing would be positive in that regard. OH! And on Friday she went to her first theater audition; she's trying out for "The Boyfriend"...call backs are this week. She's very cheery about the whole process and doesn't seem particularly concerned if she doesn't make it this first time. I'm not sure I've ever seen a child so determined to grow up and be a specific thing. She has every intention of being an actress and welcomes every opportunity to learn more about the craft.

Today begins Spirit Week at school and the theme is (tee hee) the 80s. Dig Billy Idol and Madonna's love child:

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Doralong opined...

Well Cuz, I could- but it would be wasted energy.. So instead of being jealous- I'm happy he stepped up the the plate and the child is adjusting well. I'm so very pleased and happy for you that this worked out! I'll report back on the crash and burn at Casa de Locos when I have to haul it in to the real office next week ;)

September 08, 2008 7:59 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Everything is coming up roses, Rainey. I'm pleased as punch. :-)

September 08, 2008 9:42 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

The child looks wonderful...How funny that the 80's is a theme. I think the 50's theme was the big hit when I was young. Good for you on loving work, and the husband being super.

September 08, 2008 10:08 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I wish I could lose three pounds.

I did go to the gym today at work. yay me. I believe it's too little too late, though.

Surreptitious blogging? moi? Pie, anyone?

Blake and not Potter? (Weren't they colonels?)

September 08, 2008 10:49 AM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

3 pounds lost via new job! How cool is that? The child looks like she had a blast dressing up. Good for her for auditioning! Very impressive.

September 08, 2008 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Hhhhmmmm. Spouse gets kicked from old boy club for being bad influence on the subjugated.

Peace

:+}

September 08, 2008 12:00 PM  
Blogger Leah opined...

So happy to hear that you love your job and about the effortless weight loss!
The Spouse is a wise man, proven by the fact that I've recently had to leave the job I LOVE because my spouse isn't as accomodating. He's lucky I love him lots. ah well, he'll wise up one day (crossing fingers).

And of course the child loves school! Who wouldn't with 80's theme day? I'm finally joining the PTA this year, we need to make changes, beginning with spirit week (crazy hat day just isn't crazy enough!)

September 08, 2008 12:11 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

It is so nice when all is right with our personal world. makes dealing with the rest much easier.

September 08, 2008 4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Yeah, we never had an 80's day when I was in school. Because it was the 80's. I think that's a good thing, but I didn't know it at the time.

Very nice of you to let her raid your closet.

September 08, 2008 5:12 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Wow, Rainey--that all sounds so awesome!--I'm so happy for you! :)

By the way, we must have had the same great luck lately on the job front, because I love my new job so far, too! *smiles*

Whoo-hoo for us!! :)

September 08, 2008 5:52 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

i printed the page and put it on his pillow!

I am glad all is well in your world.

September 08, 2008 7:27 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Wherein I babble back..
There are some things that money can't buy.
If I might be so presumptuous to speak for those that lie within the sphere of influence of your new job,I can say without fear of equivocation that the world is a better place with you in it!!..
..and doesn't The Child represent beautifully!
I can hear the dulcet tones of the Moody Blues,translating the story in our eyes.

September 08, 2008 8:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You hang in there, Cuz. You know where the key to the liquor cabinet is...

Thanks, KA. Me too.

Sage, ain't she adorable?

Yay you, Anne. But let's never underestimate the importance, yea verily, the pre-eminence of pie. And yes. Both Blake and Potter were Colonels. Thank heaven I have you for fact-checking.

Lost, right? If this keeps up, I'll be at my fighting weight by October! And I'm very proud of The Child. 'Cept when I want to ship her to St. Flagelation's School for Girls.

Anonyba, I know. He's setting a terrible precedent.

Oh, Leah, not really? Man, he IS lucky you love him. Mouse, Dora and I could form an ass-kicking posse if'n you wanted...

You go on the PTA thing. (Because, yeah, sounds like they need to step it up).

Amen, Mom-i-cita.

Right, JP? Man, when I'm not out there being the worst mother in the world...

I really think we need to celebrate, MHP. When are you and Iwanski coming out to get a dose of Seattle, anyway?

I hope you did, Mouse!

Sling, I know you know this, but that meant a lot to me.

September 08, 2008 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home