Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Story for Sling. But You Can Read It, Too

One night, I was maybe 9 or 10, I was dreaming about being a spy. I wanted to be a spy. "I Spy", "Get Smart" - those were my kinda shows. My brother, George Clooney and I used to play that we were spies a lot. (When we weren't playing "The Sound of Music-Hiding From the Nazis" or "Batman" or "Wild, Wild West" (see? another spy show).

Anyoperative, I was dreaming I was a spy and my orders were to meet a contact who'd be waiting for me in our car.

I carefully crept down our stairs, keeping to the extreme side of the risers to minimize creakage. (I think I learned that from Nancy Drew. See? Spies). The door to my parents' room was right at the foot of the stairs so I tiptoed very carefully past them and into the dark of the dining room. There was no sound. All I had to do now was gain the living room, silently pull back the deadbolt and I'd be home free.

Suddenly, Dame Judi appeared in the doorway.

"What are you doing?"

Obviously, she didn't know about my other life as a spy and I couldn't very well blow my cover and compromise my contact. I had to think quick but we spies are good at that.

"I have to go to the car". (Sometimes the truth is more convincing than an elaborate lie).

"What in the world for?"

"I have to get my blue shoes".

"You don't have any blue shoes. Go back to bed".

Dammit! So close! The security of the free world rested on my young shoulders and I was thwarted, not by an experienced and malevolent Soviet agent but by my own mother! This was not going to go over well at HQ.

I had no choice. I'd have to abort the mission and hope The Chief was in a forgiving mood.
I went back to bed, successfully masking my frustration.


The next morning I went downstairs for breakfast.

"What was all this nonsense about blue shoes?" Dame Judi demanded.

The room grew silent, save for the snap, crackle, pop of my cereal. How did she know about my dream?

"Last night. You were on your way to the car to get blue shoes." She gave me that look that only mothers have...the one that can scan your skeleton and check the density of your bones. Her search apparently revealed nothing nefarious. She smiled. "You must have been sleep walking".

It seemed the most plausible explanation. My secret was safe.

Unfortunately, The Chief was less accommodating. I pulled desk duty for 6 months. It was boring.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh that is so funny. Great story. Were you naked?

August 12, 2008 12:55 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

6 months for a 9 yo must have been absolute torture!

August 12, 2008 1:21 PM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

Awesome story! And you triggered a memory of mine too (and it is a good memory). :)

August 12, 2008 1:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, heavens no, Sage. Spies don't sleep naked...they might have to hop to work at any moment.

Anne, the WORST. Not to mention trying to get all that paper work done AND finish my homework, too.

Oh, goody, Lost. Do tell.

August 12, 2008 1:51 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

That's a wonderful story!
Don't feel bad.Even the most well crafted spy missions can be subverted by the unexpected appearance of innocent bystanders...You did the right thing maintaining your cover,even while you were asleep.
..That's hard core spy training right there! ;)

August 12, 2008 5:02 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yep, Sling. Graduated 1st in my class from Spy School.

August 12, 2008 6:22 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

can you fix me up with your brother?

August 12, 2008 6:32 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Was there a phone in those shoes??? I didn't exactly sleep walk...I crept out the door in my bedroom to meet my boyfriend and when I got caught i said i was walking the dog....kinda the same....well, maybe not.

August 12, 2008 7:38 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Did you ever achieve a 00 clearance?

August 13, 2008 7:30 AM  
Blogger Molly Alyssum opined...

Emma and I were always hiding from the Nazis.
Always.

August 13, 2008 8:41 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Mouse, he's pretty committed to Mrs. George Clooney but I'll put you on the backup list.

Rosie, I wish! Man, I used to think that was the coolest thing ever. I tried carrying my cell phone in my shoe but it made me walk funny.

Mom, sadly, no. 'Bout the time I came off desk duty I'd sorta lost the thrill of it all. That's when I decided to be a lawyer.

I'm starting to think I was a really weird kid.

Molly, of course you did. It's in the genes.

August 13, 2008 5:12 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Was your phone in a pair of platforms or the slimline version of flipflops?

August 15, 2008 9:32 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Loved this story! :)

August 17, 2008 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home