Friday, August 08, 2008

The Livin' Is Easy


We had guests last night: my sister, Martha Stewart, and her husband, Mr. Martha Stewart and their youngest daughter, Keira Knightly. They were just passing through but Martha and I sat up last night with tea, talking. Keira and The Child were tucked away in The Child's room, laughing and planning The Child's ensemble for the first day of school. Then this morning Martha and I sat in the cool of the morning with our coffee, talking some more. Martha and I have led very different lives, made very different choices, but in essentials we share far more in common than I sometimes remember.

They are gone now, off to visit their eldest daughter, the one who is going to make them grandparents in a couple more months. I need to get to the market, to pick up olives and chevre and some peaches. I haven't made a cobbler yet this summer and that's just wrong. There are just a few weeks now before school starts and before I will, hopefully, be working. Just a few more weeks to sit in the twilight with wine, smelling the rosemary and lavender scented air, pretending that I'm really in Provence and not the back garden of a Seattle neighborhood.

As the family were leaving, Mr. Martha Stewart bent his head to one of the roses in the front garden. "Look!" I said, "He's stopping to smell the roses". It was a joke but it wasn't. It was, in fact, a powerful symbol, a reminder that none of the things we all have on our agendas today are more important that being mindful.

It's still summer and today I feel particularly inclined to remember that and enjoy all the uniquely summertime treasures before schedules speed up, leaves start to fall and sweaters reassert their prominence in our wardrobes.



Janis Joplin "Summertime"

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

You crack me up! and that's just wrong

I love the tone of your post.

I must get some whole milk and make some cheese soon. I haven't yet, and with all these fresh tomatoes, >that's just wrong.

August 08, 2008 11:22 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I'm first, pass the cobbler!

August 08, 2008 11:22 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm glad I crack you up, Anne. Really. And did you want the plain peach or the peach with blackberries? I'll put the kettle on while you decide.

August 08, 2008 11:39 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I can smell the cobbler baking now...yummers.

We are going to eat homemade pizza and watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics this evening. I wish you happy eating and happy watching. :)

August 08, 2008 11:56 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I'll take the peach with blackberries, please. ;)

August 08, 2008 11:57 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

blackberries and peach, please and a cup of earl grey. Oh, have you tried iced chai?

August 08, 2008 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Thought J was before your time. Hmm. Some of my favs that i hadn't listened to for a long time. Truly classic stuff. Where's the movie?

Thanks.

Peace

:+}

August 08, 2008 1:13 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh I like peach cobbler with peanut butter.

August 08, 2008 1:42 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

SCG: Yummy...pizza...here's your cobbler...

...and yours, Anne.

Anonyba, oh puleeze. I've been around forever.

Sage, is there anything you don't like with peanut butter on it? Maybe best not to answer that.

August 08, 2008 2:13 PM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

well don't you like peanut butter sandwiches with peach jam? its the same sort of thing. Peanut Butter goes with anything!!! But today I would like fresh blackberries, ya know the big juicy kind that grow like weeds on the side of the road in WA, have any, please???

August 08, 2008 2:45 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Just what I needed to hear today. Spot on.

Thanks :-)

August 08, 2008 3:02 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Lost, excellent point. Peanut butter and peach jam is a delightful combination. (First I wrote "peach ham" and actually, that would be tasty, too). I will send The Child out to the alley to pick you some berries.

You're welcome, KA. Cobbler? Peanut butter?

August 08, 2008 4:14 PM  
Blogger Leah opined...

oooooooooooh.. I smell the Lavender & Rosemary (&mint) too & I'm clear across the country! I love that those things connect us.


Know what ya mean about summertime-recently I'm doing all I can to frantically suck up all of the summer I can before it's gone.

August 08, 2008 6:12 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

WHAT A SUPER DUPER THE BEST VIDEO YOU COULD HAVE POSTED!!

Janis Joplin was my first album and my parents made me return it. That was just foolish of them because it obviously set the rest of my life in motion.

Isn't it fun, to sit in the cool of the morning?

August 08, 2008 7:40 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I would like some peach cobbler please.
I promise not to eat much,and I'll hardly make a mess.

August 08, 2008 9:31 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

that cobbler would go down a treat and we have just the peaches for it - sweet baking beaches that don't turn mushy and only intensify in taste with the baking. Off to the market!

And peanut butter does go with anything - the only think asked of anyone coming to stay with us here is that they bring a jar of Kraft Peanut Butter - that and they keep it down when they're having sex cause the walls are thin!

Don't know if you have Kraft in Seattle but if not you can hop over the border and get some before you come over.

August 09, 2008 2:07 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

It's ture time goes buy too fast.

August 09, 2008 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home