Thursday, June 05, 2008

Today Rainey Makes Like MacDonald Carey and Intones...

"Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives".

Partly that's for JP, for whom I have pledged to feel sorry every hour on the hour so long as he is holed up in New Jersey. Partly that's a fitting description for the whirlwind that has suddenly become my life.

This was my last full week to do pretty much as I pleased until September. It hasn't exactly gone according to plan (does it ever?) and now here I am, it's Thursday and I realize, as those grains of sand go trickling through my fingers, that I can pretty much fuggedaboudit.

Would you like to know what my schedule now looks like? Sure you would:

Today
Take kids to school
Get soup for The Child's lunch
Move money from off shore accounts
Blog
Shower
Pick up The Child and take her to the orthodontist.
Return Child to school & remind principal to call First Choice High to see where we are
Go home and start packing
Wrap present for The Child's teacher
Pick up kids from school
Eat hamburgers for dinner

Friday
Grocery shopping
Pick up kids at noon
Wait tables for staff appreciation lunch
Make travel arrangements with Alameda host
Babysit my Charlie baby & eat his little toes all up

Saturday
Try really hard not to do too much even though I'll have to thoroughly clean the house

Sunday
Baccalaurate Mass for graduates
Potluck
Try really hard not to do too much even though I'll have to do something I'm quite sure

Monday
Work for Big Client
Take car in for tune up
Finish packing
Get guest accomodations ready
Make sure I have all the charging devices necessary for electronics
Print out Google maps
Collect phone numbers
Find pin number for the debit card I don't use

Tuesday
Pick up Hat
Bake applesauce cake
Shop for road snacks
Take out second mortgage and fill up gas tank

Wednesday
Take kids to school
Drink coffee with Hat
Take The Dog to his sister's house*
Dot i's and cross t's
Pick up kids at noon
Take Child to get our hair done
Take Child to orthodontist
Get ready for graduation
Be at school by 6pm
Watch Child graduate
Stay at cake and punch reception only as long as absolutely necessary
Go somewhere to celebrate for just a little bit
Go home and get everyone (including 2 giggly graduates) to bed at decent hour

Thursday
Hit the road for California

See?

* The Dog going to his sister's is a point of contention in our home. The Spouse doesn't want to sleep without his puppy. Too bad, I say. It is not fair to The Dog to be home alone for 12 hours every day. Oh, sure, he's perfectly capable of being alone that long, but it isn't fair. The Spouse understands this but he doesn't like it.



I read a really nice thing in the Times this morning. About switching his superdelegate support Walter Mondale said, "I was for Hillary - I wasn't against Obama". I believe that sentiment sums up a lot more voters than the pundits want to think.



Time to hit the list. Yes, I promise to remember to breathe.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

See? I knew you had offshore accounts.

Give hugs to Hat. But tell her not to get too settled and comfy in that garage, because surely I'll be making some changes once I move in.

June 05, 2008 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

My burgeoning romance is gonna kill him isn't it? (sighs...takes a-ha posters down from garage walls)

June 05, 2008 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Have a good trip. Peace, Love, Harmony and Beautiful Thoughts.

Peace

:+}

June 05, 2008 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Consider your self busily lucky....
Here are my days; every day:
get up, make breakfast for 9, clean, laundry, clean, clean, lunch in between, shower, start dinner, finish laundry, sit and relax for 17 minutes while the TV blasts Pinks or some other car show, go to bed with 4 cats and a man. Start over. Have a wonderful time getting ready for the trip.

June 05, 2008 11:51 AM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

Please save me a piece of applesauce cake.

June 05, 2008 12:14 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh I wish I was going to be in California for your excursion. Are you going to blog on the road? Pictures of the I-5? Obscure bumper stickers? Sling with a shirt on?

June 05, 2008 12:34 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

How do you think I'm going to be able to finance the upgrades to the garage, JP?

Shhhh, Hat, I haven't had a chance yet to tell him about the new gameplan. Best leave up the a-ha posters. Might soften the blow.

Thanks, Anonyba. Peace back.

Breakfast for 9, Rosie? That includes the cats, right?

This one is earmarked for Sling, Nicole. I promise to bake you one next summer, though.

Sage, us too. We're going to be sorry to miss you but looking forward to working the family connection at that coffee place. And, yeah, Hat and I have both realized that we won't be able to not blog for a week so I'm sure there will be some updates. Getting the picture of Sling with his shirt on might be tricky, though. I should probably bake 2 applesauce cakes.

June 05, 2008 12:40 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

..adds,'buy a shirt' to list of things to do next week.

June 05, 2008 4:17 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Oh yeah!..we have wireless here by the by,so no problem connecting on your laptop..but you knew that.

June 05, 2008 4:22 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Godspeed!

June 05, 2008 4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Excuse me one moment while I interrupt. Um, Hat? By "burgeoning romance" you meant "burgoneoning romance with ME" right?

RIGHT?

June 05, 2008 8:19 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Have fun in sunny Californ-I-AY! :)

Men never have as bad of to-do lists as women. Example of a man's to-do-list: Wake up. Fart. Shower. Go to Work. Eat. Go Back to Work. Come Home. Eat. Belch. Watch TV. Sleep.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if that was your to-do list? :)

June 05, 2008 8:20 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Don't put yourself out, Sling. Unless, you know, you wanted to swab the bathroom or change the sheets. But otherwise, really, don't trouble yourself.

Thanks, Anne!

Poodle, sweetie, here's a beer...oh and look, I've got the first 3 seasons of "Gilmore girls" on DVD...and Cheetoes! Ooooh, love the Cheetoes...wait, what's that? Sally Field, Olympia Dukakis and Shirley MacLaine are here to do some bits of "Steel Magnolias" and shots with us? Wow! This is awesome...

Thanks,MHP. Lord, I hope it IS sunny. Heaven knows it's been raining here enough this week...

June 05, 2008 8:54 PM  
Blogger sfoofie opined...

rainey! I just opened a foodie email newsletter thing and at the bottom it says:

"Today, June 6th, is National Applesauce Cake Day"

I might have to make some!!!!

June 06, 2008 5:25 AM  
Blogger Gilman Chatsworth opined...

I wanna know about the offshore accounts!!!!

June 06, 2008 6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Not sure if, with the price of gas and all, you're still thinking about heading a bit further south on the Road Trip--but if you do make it to LA, let me know! And have a wonderful time regardless!

June 06, 2008 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home