Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Today Rainey Celebrates Her Love of Champagne

I love champagnya. That's what JP calls it. He's so cute. (I feel so sorry for you, Poodle). It is, of course, the preferred drink of all things celebratory. It makes any moment just a little more special. It must be very dry and very pale and have lots and lots of bubbles. Did you know that a glass of the best quality champagne will still be throwing bubbles the next day? Another thing that's terrific about champagne is that it pairs very well with food and cuisines that might otherwise be kind of iffy with regular wine; artichokes, for example. It is also my preferred beverage with Thai and Indian food.

You know when champagnya is particularly delicious? When you're sitting with your family watching history being made. Somehow it magically gets extra bubbly. At least that's how it felt last night when Barack Obama secured enough delegates to be the presumptive Democratic nominee.

I'm still on a high about that. I've been wearing my "Obama 08" button for a while now but today it was like, "Dude, for real". Awe. Some.

Now for the post-nomination-getting wrap up:

Last night was not the night for Hillary to concede. When she does it, it shouldn't be in a room full of supporters. It needs to be a quiet press conference. I would say, however, that her speech was not the right one to make. It was still Candidate Clinton all the way and that was a poor decision. She is not the candidate. She won't be the candidate. There are at least 2 grievances on the table. The first, the seating of the Michigan delegates. She didn't want Barack to get any of them. But you know what? Even if the Credentials committee reversed the vote of the Rules committee, he'd still have more than he needs to be the nominee and she still wouldn't have enough. It's a non-starter and would only hurt the party and her credibility. The second is the "18 million" people who voted for her and her desire, as she mentioned last night, that they not be ignored. First of all, it's less than 18 million but we'll spot her the 200-300 just to be charitable. Second, those people aren't going to be ignored. That's just silly talk.

"Oh," but people keep saying, "the Clinton supporters are saying they won't vote for Obama".

Pft, says me.

Yeah, some of them are probably saying that. Today. But frankly, I strongly doubt that the vast majority of them ever felt that way. Most of them aren't going to have a lick of trouble voting for Barack. And the huge, new coalition that Barack has built will more than offset the few that would. There are challenges for the Obama campaign but I really don't believe that's one of them.

There are 2 prominent issues at the moment. A) Should she be his VP? That's Barack Obama's call but if it were me, I wouldn't do it. As I've said a million times before, for every person in this country who thinks the Clintons walk on water there is at least one who thinks they are the Devil incarnate. The Democratic party should never underestimate the power that hatred has to galvanize the right. All those disaffected far right voters who are having a hard time with McCain would suck it up big time if Hillary Clinton is on the ticket. Trust. But there are other reasons it would be a mistake. If he takes Hillary he gets Bill, too. That is a headache Barack Obama doesn't need. These are not people who are used to playing second fiddle and containing the two of them would be as much work as anything else he has to do.

If she had played nicer in the last month, if she'd started smoothing the way toward her concession in her speech last night, it might be different. But I can't imagine a scenario where, after all that, the two of them live in the kind of peace they'd need to in order to share the ticket.

Plus, there are plenty of men and women in the party who would help him with the constituencies where he's weakest (although one shouldn't underestimate his ability to bring more of them into the tent once the dust settles). He doesn't need her to win in places like Ohio and Virginia and Pennsylvania. And some of the other big states she won, the big states on which she pinned her electability argument? Please. Like California, New York and Massachusetts aren't going to be blue come election night.

No, I think Barack Obama knows how he wants to use Hillary. I think he may have hinted at it in his speech last night when he said "...you can rest assured that when we finally win the battle for universal health care in this country, she will be central to that victory. When we transform our energy policy and lift our children out of poverty, it will be because she worked to help make it happen". Sounds like Secretary of Health and Human Services to me. I could be completely wrong about that, but I think a cabinet post for Hillary would be the best use of her talents, energy and commitment.

What was my other point? Oh, yeah, I know. 2) Is she going to concede and when? She has to. Even her biggest supporters are saying that. And it should be soon. Before the week is out would be good. The focus is already between Obama and McBush. If she wants to keep whatever "leverage" she has (and frankly, I don't know that she has that much now), she needs to embrace his candidacy with all the sincerity she can muster and soon. Every day she waits will only hurt her long term options. I don't think she wants her legacy to include the words "ankle biting spoiler".

Also, for the record, come what may, our children, grand-children and great-grand children will someday study the speeches of Barack Obama. John McBush's, not so much. Did you see McBush's? I think this is what goes on in his mind: "Try to be dramatic and forceful. Make point. Lift eyes away from teleprompter. Smile "convincingly". Eyes back to teleprompter. Repeat".

Oh, I know there are still those who say "Yeah, Obama talks pretty but there's no substance behind it". Clearly, this is said by people who don't actually listen to the speeches. But I've read his books. I've been watching this guy. He means what he says, people. He speaks with such power, eloquence and sincerity because he really believes the stuff he is saying. You know why some people are confused by that? After 8 years of lies, obfuscation and mis-speaking, we've forgotten what it feels like to be challenged, stirred and taken seriously. But kids, this is what hope feels like. And it is as bubbly and delicious as champagnya.

Cue the happy dance:

Meez 3D avatar avatars games

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Awww! I lOVE the happy dance.

Even though I think Clinton walks on water, I agree totally with you. Having her as veep would only rouse the Right. And even though I'm a big Clinton supporter, I've no problem in supporting Obama whatsoever.
Enjoy your champanya.

June 04, 2008 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Humor!!! The Democrats need more Happy Dance!! Barrack needs to make McBush a laughing stock to really get the kind of legislative support we will need to seriously address the problems of the next generations!

That was about the only thing McReagan did well. He was a good jokester. Barrack could lighten up and just kick bahooty with a few well placed McHaHas. Jon Stewart could finally start to earn a little repect if he could be of some similar support instead of taking the right wing line and always whine about Hill. Duh, thats why they call em comedians though. Not too smart in practical things. You too Colbert. Say duh please.

Anywho, I may be wrong but think not that you just hammered out that last blog like a PBand J. Again, great work. You should be busy this year. The dems need it.
We need it and the children deserve it.

Peace

:+}

June 04, 2008 2:42 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And I truly believe that Clinton supporters like you are the majority, Buck.

Anonyba, oh, trust, Barak is plenty funny. It's going to be a very interesting ride, I'm sure.

June 04, 2008 3:27 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

I am a Clinton supporter and I will vote for Obama.
Oh and I totally saw McPain trying to force smile during his speech..he was awful. I giggled.

I want Clinton to say good-bye now. I am ready to move on.
Now we need to bring the democrats back together and fight the regime.

June 04, 2008 3:30 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Oh.My.God..
It just really hit me that we may actually get to do this!
Barack as President,and Hillary in a Cabinet post that has some genuine clout!..
Vice-President,seriously,is beneath her,and the whole Billy baggage would prove intolerable for Barack, I'm certain.
But!..The Democratic party has a powerful force for change chompin' at the bit..if only.

Then I'd like to see Bush,and his entire administration publicly Guillotined..Can we still do that?

June 04, 2008 4:53 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

..and exactly what brand of champagne do you like to find when you open the fridge?

June 04, 2008 6:32 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Of course you will, Sage. Anyone who cares about the economy, ending the war and seeing to it that the Supreme Court doesn't tip over from the weight on the right will vote for Obama. Also, I'm pretty sure all the cute girls will vote for him.

Sling, right? I got all varklempt last night when it hit me that it was really happening. I know there's a crapload of work between now and November but it's not that daunting when you are fueled by bubbly hope. Or something like that.

And as for brands, my all time favorite is Veuve Cliquot, but that's only for the really super special times because it is a little on the pricey side. Last night we had Barefoot Bubbly. California chardonnay in the Champagne style. It was ever so acceptable.

June 04, 2008 6:50 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, wait. I think I just realized why you asked that. The cheap stuff is just fine...just as long as it's not sweet. Can't stand sweet bubbles.

June 04, 2008 6:50 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Let the healing begin! Let the VP vetting begin - with what I hope leads to a solid candidate that has military street cred, because that would take considerable wind out of McBush's sails. My champagne will come out for the first Obama/McBush debate because I cannot wait to witness a routing like the Kennedy/Nixon debate, albeit part deux.

June 04, 2008 7:21 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

You came this close to gettin' Perrier Jouet...glad I asked.

June 04, 2008 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Heard on the news late that Hill has decided to concede this Saturday.

Once again Rainey nailed it. Last night was just so not good timing. Once again the whiners of the left sure are lookin like right wingers or just like uh how should I put this, oh yah duh, again for poor stevie and jon.

Peace

:+}

June 04, 2008 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Your happy dance is deeelightful.
Also, you used a lot of very well placed big words in this post. And what's wrong with sweet bubbles?
Hmpf. (urp)

June 04, 2008 10:06 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

"Artichoke" isn't a big word, Hat.

June 04, 2008 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home