Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Chipmunks Don't Talk in Manhattan: Enchanted



During Easter break, The Child wanted to do something special. What she really, truly wanted to do was go to a place called "Family Fun Center" where there are go carts and skee ball and other assorted amusements. Except, and this is where I really am the worst mother in the world, I loathe and abominate such places. They bore me out of my mind and worse than that, I actually have a visceral response to them. I must have once had a really bad experience that I've repressed for years. I'm fine with that. I just hate, hate, hate those sorts of places.

Enough about me. We agreed to see a movie. Except there really aren't any movies out at the moment that we were interested in. "Juno" is still playing; seen it. "Horton Hears a Who" is at the neighborhood cinema - Jim Carrey? I'd rather stick hot needles in my eyes.

I suggested that we get some Red Vines, pick up a sub sandwich and make our own theater experience at home. Fortunately, the offer of Red Vines worked and The Child agreed. So we cozied up with our snacks and had our own afternoon screening of "Enchanted".

We own it, so this wasn't the first viewing. But it is entirely re-watchable.

The genius, and the fun, of this movie is that Disney spends 107 minutes taking potshots at themselves and their franchise. Not only do they mock their catalog (looking for the references would make an excellent drinking game) but they also tease with the whole "waiting for Prince Charming" crap that has messed up generations of little girls. It's a take that is damn near redemptive.

The premise is simple: cartoon characters find their way into a place "where there are no happily ever afters". The movie begins in full-on old-fashioned Disney mode. (And I mean 'full-on' - the animation, the graphics, the narration (by the inimitable Julie Andrews, no less) plus the full swell of a chorale...classic stuff, I'm telling you). Giselle lives in the forest and has a had a dream about the prince with whom she'll share "true love's kiss". But the evil queen has other plans and Giselle finds herself climbing out of a manhole in Times Square, suddenly very real and very far from the world, and principles, with which she's familiar.

"It" girl Amy Adams ("Junebug", "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day) is Giselle and she is absolutely delightful. She initially plays Giselle like a cartoon character, with lilting voice, perky manner and elegantly extended fingers. She encounters Robert (played by the always yummy Patrick Dempsey) and his daughter (Rachael Covey), who take her in. Robert is a no-nonsense divorce attorney, with a very pragmatic view of relationships. He's cynical, Giselle is the embodiment of romantic. Do the math.

If ever the word "romp" is appropriate, it's now. This movie is fun. It's funny. Adams is perfection, plus she does her own singing and dancing. Susan Sarandon, as the evil queen, doesn't leave a bit of scenery unchewed. Sure, it's over the top. But "Enchanted" also manages to be a story about self-discovery (the way Adams gently sheds her cartoonish character is brilliant) and the true meaning of "true love".

The film had 3 songs nominated for an Oscar. The team of Stephen Swartz and Alan Menken were famously upset for a mathematical win by those Irish upstarts from "Once" but that doesn't mean the music isn't fine. It's actually pretty terrific. In fact, I can't keep from sharing this "big number" from the show, one of the nominated songs.



"How Does She Know"

See? Adorable.

If on principle you want to avoid "yet another" Disney musical, you'll live without this. But if you have a little time of a weekend afternoon to be thoroughly entertained, "Enchanted" makes an excellent matinee.

The Film Czarina gives "Enchanted" 3 ¾ out of 5 Koihead.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

A friend of mine dragged me, kicking and screaming, to see "Enchanted."

The friendship almost didn't survive.

April 08, 2008 12:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I Like your nearly former friend.

April 08, 2008 12:54 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

I have yet to see it. But my brother saw it and he loved it.

Hey I will take the Child to those annoying fun zone places. I love them.

April 08, 2008 12:59 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

My youngest had me put it in my queue but I haven't got it yet. I'll probably watch it because I have little choice. lol

April 08, 2008 1:17 PM  
Blogger Leah opined...

My mother took my boys to see Enchanted and they loved it!

I really wanted to see it, but I wanted an afternoon of peace & quiet even more...

After your review, I must see it- Sounds so stinking cute!

April 08, 2008 1:35 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Have not seen the movie(s) and as for the bumper car place....they are E.X.P.E.N.S.I.V.E. No grandkid is going to bully Gigi into one of those places...Papa maybe, not me.

April 08, 2008 3:06 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

my mother and i love this movie. i am always singing How Does She Know... ALWAYS.

April 08, 2008 3:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

So when is Auntie Sage coming to visit?

Trust Grish, I'm sure we wouldn't have seen it were it not for The Child. But it was worth it.

"Stinking cute" is a good summation, Leah. Probably why Buck hated it so. Pft. For my money, there's room for a little more stinking cute in the world. As long as we're not talking about Hummel figures.

OK, Rosie, I can't get over the fact that the grandbabies call you "Gigi". Talk about stinking cute...

Why does that not surprise me, Mols? Why, the only other person I can even imagine in that role is you.

April 08, 2008 3:50 PM  
Blogger Ruth Fraser Davis opined...

Believe it or not.
We borrowed sister Audrey's disk.

Sean laughed his silly old head off all the way through the movie.

I was pleasantly surprised - at both that happening and the movie.

Jolly good fun.
Really, all you nay sayers and skeptics.

April 08, 2008 7:16 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I do believe it, DJ, and am happy to know it. You tell those nasty skeptics and cynics. (Buck).

April 08, 2008 7:53 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I don't watch kid's flix on purpose,but when I accidently see one I always enjoy them!
I'm TIVOing Aragon as we speak,because Little Newt suggested it.

April 08, 2008 8:37 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Three quarters of a koi head? Eeewwwwe

April 08, 2008 10:52 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Oh, saw it twice in the theatre, btw.

April 08, 2008 10:53 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I loved Enchanted!

I hope Spring Break was/is wonderful!

April 09, 2008 8:10 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yeah, Sling, sometimes I wonder what we'll miss when we no longer have a kid in the house.

Anne, it requires a very sharp knife.

April 09, 2008 10:14 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And did you like it, Anne? Btw?

See, I knew there was a reason I liked you, Twisi. And break was great, thanks.

April 09, 2008 10:15 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Buck hates pretty much every good movie, just so you know. *grin* I will totally see this one sometime...I will have to be stealthy and sneak it into our Netflix queue, without Iwanski seeing. :)

Oh, one good movie Buck does like--and I think you'd like, too, Rainey--is "Outing Riley." Funny set-in-Chicago coming out of the closet story. Iwanski and I enjoyed it very much.

April 09, 2008 5:49 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

yes, btw, I loved it.

April 09, 2008 9:21 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MHP, I'll check it out. And remind me not to even suggest watching movies to that dooder head.

Oh good, Anne.

April 10, 2008 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home