Friday, March 28, 2008

Simply a Look Can Break Your Heart

(Note: I'm having some issues this morning. The video isn't synced up, even though it was when I was downloading. Now I'm having buffering issues on YouTube. If the video is wonky maybe wait to play it and come back later. I'll try and fix it).


Here's what I know about this band: nothing. I had to look 'em up because when I say "AFI" I'm usually talking about the American Film Institute. In this case it stands for 'A Fire Inside' but it used to represent 'Asking For It', which I like better.

The band formed in 1991, broke up when all the members went off to different colleges, then got back together. They didn't have mainstream success until the '0s; I';m guessing because their early stuff was hardcore punk (I've been listening to it this morning....it really is) which morphed into horror punk. Now they're alternative rock. They kept the horror punk look.

I really like this song. The first bit is an extra little prelude, which is kinda cool, then it gets into the main song. I was going to say "rips into" the song but that bouncy little guitar intro is deceptively perky. The ripping comes later.

I also really love the video. It's all stylized and elegant, like some of the best videos of the 80s. The motif on the chorus gets a little creepy and borderline fascistic but that's cool, too. A little tension is good for a song.



AFI Prelude 12/21, Miss Murder

(Yes, this is another song that I can play on Guitar Hero (at 100%, thankyouverymuch) and yes, I'd never heard of this band before I played GH and yes, that makes me lame. What's your point?)

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

My work day is much better now that I can read something new on your blog...thank you.

March 28, 2008 8:19 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

I have never heard of them either..but I know I am lame..nice sound tho. It is sorta fun when the video and music dont match.

March 28, 2008 8:25 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Speaking of something new on a blog, SCG...

Good thing you like the funky sync, Sage, 'cause it doesn't look like mama's going to be able to fix it. I HATE when that happens.

March 28, 2008 8:39 AM  
Blogger Leah opined...

Wow Lorraine! It looks like GH is really broadening your musical horizon and bringing a lot of culture into your life ;)

I've never ever heard of AFI either. I'm beginning to realize that I'm not nearly as cool as I thought I was.
Happy Weekend!

March 28, 2008 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

C we're all back. Whatever happened to MTV? There is still an hour or two a week that has music video but the rest is garbage. I mean how are we expected to keep up without it?

Peace

:+}

March 28, 2008 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I like this. Very cohesive, and it does not worry me.

March 28, 2008 3:34 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, Leah, you are way cool, AFI or no AFI.

Ain't it the truth, Anonyba? Seriously. HOW are you supposed to know what's going on in music without exposure. (My neices manage but they are young and have lots of time on their hands).

Wait til you hear me play it on Guitar Hero, JP.

March 28, 2008 3:47 PM  
Blogger sfoofie opined...

yay! I can get behind this song today. I love this song. Next seek out Muse music and/or 30 Seconds to Mars.
Happy weekend!

March 28, 2008 5:06 PM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

hey lorraine,

i got tagged to do a meme that i believe will suit you to do as well. it's a musical meme. so now you are it!

we just have to tear that plastic guitar out of your hands for a few minutes so you can do this meme.

check it out [here].

March 28, 2008 6:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, Danny, ouch! Not just the plastic guitar removal but hello? That's hard!

March 28, 2008 8:01 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sfoof, I just knew there was a reason I liked you.

March 28, 2008 8:02 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Every time I try guitar hero,I end up crashing into the wall at the 2nd turn,or getting shot by snipers while trying to switch to 'rocket launcher'..
I'm just no good at video games.

March 28, 2008 8:59 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

..all those tiny buttons.

March 28, 2008 9:00 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I am inept at Guitar Hero. Just like I am with most things.

March 29, 2008 9:22 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, you need to try to capture the Ring of Power on the 2nd level. If you have that, you can increase your Sims charisma points and then you can talk your way past the wizard of doom on the third level and trust, the snipers on level 4 are actually pretty lame. Just duck through the door in the 3rd burned out building on the left and you'll be hijacking that car in no time.

Iwanski, you are very talented at dancing in the guise of dead Presidents. Don't be so hard on yourself.

March 29, 2008 11:25 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

okay,..what was that middle thing ?

March 30, 2008 1:21 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

The wizard part? Look, it's easy...just remember to double click your A button to do that fancy jump over his head and onto the rotating blades. You have to be quick, for obvious reasons. But if you nail it just right you should pick up about 700 extra coin BEFORE you get to level 4.

Sling? Sling? Geez, hand me your controller...let me show you...

March 30, 2008 9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Um...okay I can NOT believe you just played an AFI video. You could totally go to a goth club now and be all, "S'up".
FYI on AFI, "Love Like Winter" is their best song evuh. Now if you'll excuse me, I must away to put on too much dayglo eye make-up and stand under a black light.

March 30, 2008 9:49 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, Hat, as you know, it has been my life long dream to go to a goth club and say, "S'up". Now I just have to go pierce my lip...

March 31, 2008 7:24 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I need guitar hero lol

March 31, 2008 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home