Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Tuesday Twitters

This is going to be a great day. The Child has volleyball practise after school and now that we have our own gym, I don't have to pick her up and take her somewhere else. I love that. Nope, instead, I get to stay home until 5pm and do whatever I want. Tra la la la la la.

I've been invited to contribute something to a book project. I'll probably work on that because I finally have an idea about it.

I'll do some householdy sorts of things but not many, since I did most of it yesterday. Huzzah for clean counters.

Mostly, I'm just looking forward to the game tonight. Love me some CNN on an election night. Today, as you've no doubt heard, is huge. Lots could happen. I'm sooooo excited. I'd love to see Obama win everything, particularly given the questions such a win would raise about the future of the Clinton campaign. On the other hand, it would be fascinating to see if she can staunch the bloodletting his campaign has inflicted on her. I could be happy about that, assuming it means that she stops whining.

Because she is whining and I'll tell you something about that: I don't like it. Hillary Clinton ain't anybody's victim and as a woman, I really hate seeing her play that card. And yeah, if she was a guy and saying the same thing I wouldn't like it either. But then, most guys wouldn't whine. Guys whine, but usually when they are sick or have to hold your purse while your shopping the sales rack. Otherwise, they suck it up. If the situation were reversed, Barack Obama wouldn't be complaining that he always gets the first question or that people aren't listening to him because he's a man (of color).

The historic nature of the Democratic contest is just that. Historic. Either way, we're going to be putting up a candidate that doesn't look like any candidate we've ever had before. That's awesome. It should be embraced. Period.

That said, I also kinda hate that supporting Hillary is being connected with being a woman. I'm a 50 year old white woman. I'm her demographic. And I'm supporting Obama. What that tells me is that, when we really get down to it, this election is about soooo much more than the simply categories of race or gender on which the pundits seem, still, so focused. I'm supporting Obama because I like his out-of-the-box approach to politics, his notion not just that America is capable of more but that Americans, working together in spite of their differences, could achieve that. I agree, in most cases (according to all the little "select your candidate" quizzes I've taken) with his position on issues. (And yes, Hillary, he has positions on the issues...shut up about that already. You're just jealous that you're not as electrifying a speaker. I already told you to get over it. Now do it).

But you know what? I agree, in most cases (though a few less than I do with Barack) with Hillary's position on the issues. So I'm good either way, because I don't need to match a candidate 100% to vote for him or her. In November, I'm not going to be holding my nose when I vote, which is more than can be said for most of the Republicans I know.

Anyprimary, I'm excited to see what happens tonight. Plus, we're going to be eating Stouffer's lasagne for dinner so I don't have to spend time in the kitchen and let me tell you, that is some good-eats-in-a-box right there. Just as good as my own lasagne, and I make demmed fine lasagne, people.

And yeah, depending on what goes down tonight I'll probably wonk out tomorrow so consider yourself warned.

Oh, and boycott Exxon/Mobile. JP has a plan. Cylon.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger rosemary opined...

You know, for some reason I am a little twittery about today's voting....weather is bad, folks might just stay home and then there are the polls....hum. And you know how apolitical I am. I might have to scrub floors on my hands and knees today to get over this. I can hardly wait for your post tomorrow.

March 04, 2008 9:30 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

ooooo, I was first. Do I get a prize or a bumper sticker or some lasagna? I like sweet red whine too.

March 04, 2008 9:31 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

now I am first and second....for sure I should get a prize.

March 04, 2008 9:32 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm not worried about the weather, Rosie. There have been record turnouts in every state so far, some in driving rain and blizzards. It hasn't been a factor.

And yes, you get a prize. How about some applesauce cake to go with your lasagne and wine? And a big kiss. Muuuuah!

March 04, 2008 9:57 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Thank you Lorraine. May I have seconds please? It isn't too early for wine or whine is it? I am hungry. I haven't had a piece of bacon or cheese, eggs or butter in over a year.

March 04, 2008 10:54 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Hey, Rosemary can't have all the applesauce cake. Tell her she should share with the rest of us.

March 04, 2008 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Good, hopefully i will feel up to a bit of a rebuttal. After all we do want to keep our eyes on the prize. Not just the presidency to a decent person but the house and senate to decent people as well.

Peace

:+}

March 04, 2008 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

tee hee, Rosemary is so silly.
You know who to call tonight, lest ye be so inclined...

March 04, 2008 12:54 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I wish I was there to go "Tra la la la la" with you. And play Speed Scrabble.

I just sent some sweet red wine for you and Rosemary.

March 04, 2008 1:13 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

auntie raine, you are a genius.............

i am highly medicated at the moment so i can't think of anything brilliant to say besides i love you and hug little Dyll for me and Fat Angus and ALSO tell little Dyll that high school, although horribly frightening the first week, is SO fun and has been the greatest part of her older cousin's life (well, up til now. it will most likely be replaced by the college experience but you catch my drift.)
love to your house

March 04, 2008 1:14 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh wow, I need some whiskey, for tonight. Wine is too fancy for a Hillary supporter.

March 04, 2008 1:53 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Oh I'm starting to feel really queasy about these remaining primaries - that or the tub o' cookie dough I just ate while watching my dream man, Keith Olberman on MSNBC, is backing up on me. I just hate that the dems will still be bickering while McCain is now gearing up. Things are just too important to risk November if she mathmatically can't win without some super delegate wonkiness. Ooooh, my tummy is all atwitter.

March 04, 2008 8:35 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

> Floats down the streets of bloggerville wearing a white sheet and rattling chains lol

March 05, 2008 12:30 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosie, that is just sad. No butter? Horrors.

Rosie, you heard Mom. Back away from the cake.

I'm sure you will feel like rebutting, Anonyba.

Hat, count on it.

Buck, sweet wine and Speed Scrabble...sounds like fun to me.

Mols, sorry about the medication. Encouraging words to be passed on post-haste.

Oh, please, Sageweb. All you white fifty year old married soccer moms drink Chardonnay. Wait....

KA, I'm quite sure it's the combination of cookie dough and Keith Olberman hots. It'll pass.

Hey, did anyone else just feel the room get cold? (scrambles in closet for high speed infrared camera)

March 05, 2008 4:18 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

YES yes yes, again. (I'm reading posts backwards. Like magazines.)

I don't like how the Clinton campaign has handled things the last couple weeks, but it particularly bothers me as a woman. As you've pointed out, Hillary is one sharp cookie -- she's smart and savvy. Why is she resorting to these measures? I'm sure she has other ammo in her bag of tricks.

The way she's gone though, is drawing hits based on gender. Even the language I'm hearing in the media and in conversations:
shrill, strident, crybaby, bitch ... not words you'd hear applied to a man. I even heard someone say she's "acting like a spoiled little girl".

Great. Of course folks are chalking it up to gender. Damn it.

You're right, she IS whining, and as a woman, i sure hate to see it. Not from her. She's too good for that, and I don't understand why she's turned down this road.

I've really liked your politics posts; if I actually did drink to every point I liked, I'd be drunk by now.

March 06, 2008 12:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, we can't have that, Cowbell. You know what I always say, "Friends don't let friends leave blog comments drunk".

Glad you're enjoying them, though.

March 06, 2008 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home