Thursday, March 20, 2008

Numeric Memes and the First Day of Spring



I promised light and fluffy, light and fluffy you shall have. (Did any of you ever sneak into the pantry, open the marshmallow fluff (that was hardly a staple but sometimes made an appearance) and just sit and eat it out of the jar with a spoon and then smooth over the top so it didn't look like you'd stolen any? Me neither).

There are a couple of Blogtopian games that came my way recently and today seems as good a time to stop avoiding play along as any.

First, Rosie tagged me with the really hard meme, the dreaded 6 word memoir. The rules go like this:
1. Write a 6 word memoir.
2. Post it on your blog and you can add a picture or some other visual.
3. Link the meme'r (Rosie made up that word and I like it)
4. Tag 5 other blogs and let the memees know they are tagged. (Rosie isn't the only one who can make up words. Also, I'm totally breaking the rules on this one and pulling the old, "if you wanna play consider yourself tagged thing. Because it's kinda hard and I don't want anyone getting mad at me).

Have you ever known me to say anything of substance in a mere 6 words? I can't order coffee in 6 words. Wait. That's not true. My standing order is "tall drip, no room". That's only 4. Never mind.

I've been reading the memoirs of some of Rosie's other victims memees and they have emboldened me slightly in that folks seem to be going for more of a summing up of personal philosophy than a strict memoir. Which opens up the options a bit. I mean, my memoir would have to be "Born, loved, bred, blogged about it", which leaves out some good stuff.

Let's try this:

Imperfect woman with charmed life. Wine? That actually leaves out a lot of good stuff, too, but it's how I feel about my life. I haven't always made good choices and I've had my share of decidedly not-swell moments but fundamentally I consider myself the most blessed chickypoo on the planet and when I count my blessings I like to lift a glass of vin rouge so there you go.

Moving on, this one comes from Dana and was way easier:

Four Jobs I have had in my life:
Undocumented farm worker
Street vendor (hawking stuffed crepes. I lasted 2 days).
Nanny
Office Manager

Four Movies I would watch/have watched over and over:
"Say Anything"
( "I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed").

"Princess Bride"
("Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die").

"Annie Hall"
("Well. Oh well. La di dah, la di dah").

"Philadelphia Story"
("I'm going crazy. I'm standing here solidly on my own two hands and going crazy").

[The quotes aren't a part of the meme but I thought it would be fun].

Four Places I have lived:
Portland, Oregon
Hubbard, Oregon
West Linn, Oregon
Seattle, Washingon

(I don't get around much).

Four TV Shows that I watch:
"The Office"
("Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica").

"How I Met Your Mother"
("It's gonna be legen... wait for it... dary!").

"What Not to Wear"
("Shut up!")

"Battlestar Galactica" (or I will be, come April)
("So say we all").

Four Places I have visited:
London, England
Nantes, France
Chicago, Illinois (Hey, gang!)
New York, New York

Four People who email me regularly:
Buck
Brooke
Wendy
the penis enlargement/replica watch people (Seriously, I think it's getting time to change my email again).

Four Favorite Foods:
Chicken and leek pie
Macaroni and cheese
BLTs
Cheddar cheese

Four Places I would like to be right now:
Drinking absinthe in a Paris cafe.
At DNC headquaters having a little 'come to Jesus' with Howard.
On "Oprah" with The Hat.
Having coffee with Buck on the Balcony of Terror.

Four Things I am looking forward to this year:
Seeing The Child graduate.
Finishing a book.
Seeing JP again. (Not sure how or when, but it's sort of mission critical).
Meeting up with bloggy buddies in California.

Four People who should post Four Things:
Danny
Sageweb
Willym
Doralong


So here it is, puppies, the Vernal Equinox, the first day of Spring. It is also the first day of Purim and it's Holy Thursday, the beginning of the sacred three days for us Catholic types. I started my morning at the Seder service at school. The Child was one of the readers. It was very simple and lovely. I teared up a little; there's just nothing quite like commemorating the Last Supper with a roomful of sincere, prayerful little kids. Tonight we'll be going to the Holy Thursday service at the Cathedral, one of my favorites of the whole year.

Lent went by fast this year. To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not sure I entered into the whole thing quite as deeply as I usually do. Not sure why that is but I suppose reflecting on that will give me something else to do today.

The word "lent" comes from an Old English word for spring. Goes to the whole lengthening of days thing. And it just seems perfect to me that Lent is wrapping up on the first day of spring. Which has sprung. Even though it's 40 degrees out.



(Somebody seriously needs to do some gardening before the Easter Egg hunt on Sunday).










Our Lady of the Weeds

Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Nicole opined...

Our Lady of the Weeds winked at me. I'll take that as a spring blessing.

March 20, 2008 10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

According to my clock, it's about 10:51 AM--but your post is time-stamped 11:12 AM. Is there a temporal anomaly in the room, or is Blogger set to EDT?

I left one six-word memoir at Booda's, but here's another:

Diamond, slightly flawed, looking to improve.

;)

March 20, 2008 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh, and Happy Vernal Equinox!

March 20, 2008 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Thanks for yesterdays exercise in meaness. Sorry for being such an amateur but nice has always been a weakness, (Its why I smile while I drive).

Of course, Colbert mentioned it last night, surprisingly enough.

Something about 1200 screamers on one website alone.

I didn't know there were that many dems out there!

Yes, happy spring!!

Peace

:+}

March 20, 2008 11:11 AM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

yay! spring has sprung and it looks like i'll be doing some mental yard work thanks to the meme.

time to get into the weeding and find some hidden buds of wisdom...or some pretty flowers if nothing else!

oh, here's a fresh bouquet for you to delight in as you sit back and enjoy your wine.

March 20, 2008 11:14 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Tee hee, I loved the fluffiness of the post today. Yesterday's post was intense and I had to re-read a few times (damn work got in the way).

I can't wait for Easter. I mailed my letter today. Yipee. Can't wait for BAH with you all.

Screwing the top back on the marshmallow fluff now. I've officially smoothed the top over, and now I'm putting it back in the pantry... :)

March 20, 2008 11:30 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

We can have coffee on the Balcony of Terror in the morning and then head down to Oprah's studios for the afternoon. How's that sound?

March 20, 2008 12:40 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

wonderful...just all of this post was wonderful. Hello....I'm going to be on Oprah because I need a make-over really badly and I got dibbs first.

March 20, 2008 12:49 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

That was fun, and fluffy. I love your lady of the weeds. Oh I would love a marshmallow, peanut butter, chocolate sandwich please.

March 20, 2008 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Sorry forgot my 6 word thingy.

Peace, love, harmony and beautiful thoughts.

Peace

:+}

March 20, 2008 1:11 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Lent has been brutal for me this year, I think it has to do with my chosen sacrifice, let's just say I am glad it is almost over.

I think it being so early in the year has made it wonky for everyone, I was talking to one of my Pastors earlier in the week and she was saying how hard it had been going straight from Christmas to Lent.

Anyway, if I don't speak to you before.... have a wonderful Easter.

March 20, 2008 1:31 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

I'm loving Our Lady of the Weeds. Perhaps I can also find Our Lady of Perpetual Laundry, because I need to do a little thoughtful reflection on that front. Happy Spring, m'dear.

March 20, 2008 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You're the worst mother in the-- Crap, that's 7 words.

March 20, 2008 3:14 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

As well you should, Nicole.

Yeah, Syd, I actually started writing the meme part a few days ago and when I published the post I just changed the date, not the time. Blogger. Like your memoir, you shiny thing.

Anonyba, mean? Moi? Pft.

Flowers, Danny? For moi? You're the sweetest.

SCG, I'm writing my letter today. And I'm glad you found the post sufficiently fluffy.

Hey, who's been in the marshmallow fluff?

That's what I'm talkin' about, Buck.

Makeover. Oprah. Check. Then Hat and I can talk about what a wonderful Rosie you are.

Sageweb, our lady speaks very highly of you, too. Here's your sammie. I was going to put on extra marshmallow but SCG ate most of it.

Anonyba again, of course.

Twisi, yep, the whole early Lent thing is a tough one...not enough time to really get geared up. A very happy and blessed Easter to you too, my friend.

KA, no duh! I need one of those two. Maybe you should find a manufacturer and sell them over at June's.

JP, bwahahahaha.

March 20, 2008 3:24 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I just love the fluffy,marshmallowy goodness of this post.
I've heard rumors that the 'smoothing over' technique also works with peanut butter,onion dip,and cake frosting..but not Jell-O.

March 20, 2008 6:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, man, Sling. You soooo can't smooth over Jell-o.

March 20, 2008 10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

So, this is what I get for being fashionably late??

March 23, 2008 2:50 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Did I hear something about BSG winding down this year?

March 24, 2008 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home