Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Another One Bites the Dust

I swear, as long as I live I am never going to understand things like this. What is the disconnect in the mind of a person whose entire political career has been predicated on ethics and busting the bad guys thinking he can hire a prostitute and not get caught?

Gov. Spitzer is yet another casualty of the "above the law" syndrome.

I don't get it.

Every six months there is another politician who goes down in flames because he or she did something wrong. Do all the other politicians read those stories and say to themselves, "Yeah, but see, I'm too smart to get caught"? Do these people not understand the term "cautionary tale"?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

(shakes head and reaches for a piece of pie)

"Well, politicians are human, too," says you.

"Human, schmuman," says me. "I understand making mistakes. I understand losing your temper, misplacing your Blackberry, doing 35 in a 30 mph zone. Geez, I'll even forgive late filing of your taxes. But for heaven's sake, if you're gonna live in a glass house, not only should you not throw stones, it would be a good idea to get curtains".









The Child has a cool social studies assignment. For the next two weeks she's engaged in a "Constitution Scavenger Hunt". She has 3 pages of questions about the Constitution and has to seek answers through reading, research, thinking and interviews. I've already put the call out to folks I think may have some expertise in this area but if any of you have any Constitutional Law experience or are a naturalized US citizen or work/worked in government, would you email me if you're willing to help out?

I told her teacher that I think this is one of the best assignments I've ever seen and that if more teachers taught the Constitution we'd probably be in a slightly less sorry state than we are right now.

Last night I was looking for the copy of the Constitution that I gave The Spouse for Christmas a few years ago. (I believe I inscribed it with something along the lines of "Now more than ever"). I couldn't find it and asked if he knew where it was. "I think the President took it to wipe his butt." he replied.

Yeah. Probably what happened.








So I'm back to being the worst mother in the world. The Child is totally mad at me because I asked her to make sure to get an update from her teacher on her progress report.

"STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS, MOM! YOU'RE REALLY FREAKING ME OUT!"

Dude, you want to shut me up? Bring home a progress report that doesn't have any zeros on it.

I do not know how to get her to figure out that worrying about her grades isn't going to solve anything. She has the power to control this situation. And while you're explaining the whole "above the law" thing to me, explain how someone can do work and then not turn it in. Please.

I went in to school to give her teacher a head's up that she might be a bit, oh, dismal this morning. (She was crying in the car). He wasn't in the classroom so I went to the teacher's lounge and found the 3rd and 6th grade teachers...who are both superfantastic women.

"Have you seen M?" I asked.

"I don't think he's in yet," replied 3rd Grade Teacher. "Why? You want me to kick his ass for you?"

That was funny. "No, his isn't the ass that needs kicking".

6th Grade Teacher said, "Let me guess, your ass doesn't need kicking either".

"Nope. Somewhere in between him and me you'll find the ass in question".

They were both supportive, not just because they have experienced this with students (including mine) but because they both have kids who have done the same thing. "What is the deal with doing the work and not turning it in?" I asked. 3rd Grade Teacher chalked it up to The Child being one of those really creative kids that always has something else on her mind.

Yeah. I get that. I totally do. But for the love of all things holy, why, why, why can she not get this simple mechanism for success into her dreamy little head? She knows the lyrics to every Top 40 song on the radio. She can discuss in minute detail every nuance of every Harry Potter book ever written. She writes poetry, designs dresses, spikes volleyballs and can say the Lord's Prayer in flawless Spanish but she can't turn in a damn social studies assignment.

Who needs a cocktail?

Labels: , , ,

25 Comments:

Blogger kingba opined...

naturalized citizen here. How can I help, May-yem? (Yeap, suthun by adoption, too, how'd you guess??)
I might add it 's been agood long while but if I can help "the Child", I shall indeed, fire away, am yours (I mean "y'all's")

March 11, 2008 10:43 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Kingba, would you kindly send me an email (the link is on the sidebar there) so she can send you some questions? That would be awesome. Thanks!

March 11, 2008 10:46 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I'll Take a cocktail.

Just so you know ... I feel your pain in the whole teenagers aren't always fun category. It seems that everytime I speak to my 15 year old anymore it involves something he's done wrong (or something I've perceived as wrong).

As far as the homework assignment goes..They still teach that stuff? lol

I don't think these teachers up here could recognize the constitution without a name tag.

Gov. Spitzer. What to say about Gov. Spitzer... Well I have nothing new to add here..except that I was a little surprised to find out that he was a Democrat. lol The Republicans had been doing so well..:P jk

March 11, 2008 10:48 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

If you are still looking, try in the bookshelf on my nightstand. It has a dark spine with a strawish cover

March 11, 2008 10:56 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Elliot Spitzer was always on my short list for a presidential run in the near future. This guy was a seemingly unstoppable until he stopped himself. Wonder if he has Gary Hart's phone number on speed dial. Good luck with the Child's assignment. I worked in State government, so probably not going to be much help.

March 11, 2008 10:57 AM  
Blogger kingba opined...

done. did you get it (I messed up the link or password, so let me know -- signed: el tecnomoron

March 11, 2008 11:17 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Your guitar hero gal changed, she's drinking a cocktail now, too. So I'll definitely take a cocktail as well...

March 11, 2008 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Cocktails are always good...unless one is driving, but as I'm not driving anything more impressive than electrons at the moment...

:D

Re: Spitzer... ***shakes head*** I have to wonder, sometimes, if these nincompoops have ever heard of the concept of hypocrisy, and the theory that Your Hypocrisy Will Bite You In The A$$ Someday, If You Give It Half A Chance.

Either that, or becoming a politician automatically disconnects the truth circuit from the consequences circuit...

March 11, 2008 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

They just need to make prostitution legal and that will fix the whole problem.

Not The Child's problems; that is a completely separate situation requiring a completely separate solution and it's important that we not mix up the two.

March 11, 2008 11:38 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

I must say, as a teacher, I wasn't aware of any pupils who did their homework and then didn't hand it in... but then, I guess, in my position, I wouldn't have been aware of that, would I?

Does she think it isn't good enough? Is she worried about the grade it might?

As for "above the law" syndrome... yes, as you said, I think it's simply just another example of our endless capacity for self-delusion.

March 11, 2008 11:46 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

lol @ jp

March 11, 2008 11:50 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish, did you want that straight up or on the rocks?

Let's send all the teens to boarding school.

Thank you, honey.

A real head shaker, that, KA. Or as Napolean Dynamite would say, "Idiot".

There is one question, I think, about the US Constitution and the WA state constitution...hmmm...you might get an email after all.

Kingba...got it.

I just noticed that SCG. That's not supposed to happen. Stupid Meez.

Syd, I was reading an article today in the NY Times about politicians and such things...trying to give it a psychological explaination. Yeah, power corrupts, blah blah blah. Still. What an idiot.

It would fix that problem, JP, but somehow I think they'd still find a way to get into trouble. "Hey, I'm the Governor of NY! I can (fill in the blank). Who's gonna know?"

Only everybody. Idiot.

No, D.A., none of that angst. She just shoves it in her bookbag (instead of the neon pink homework folder I graciously provided) until it settles all the way in the bottom and sits there...only to be covered up with more homework.

He needs a cocktail, too, doesn't he, Grish?

March 11, 2008 12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

good post -

love the Meez tiara -

xo nayb

March 11, 2008 1:00 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Cocktails for everyone! .. in celebration of mandated boarding school at puberty!

March 11, 2008 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Mayhaps you should observe the turning in process. My own had a similiar thing with said teacher. You know how i feel about that.

Say hi to the 6th for me please and give her one of my P L H & B T.

Peace

:+}

March 11, 2008 1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

The chase is on. At 6:11 the space shuttle Endeavor will come out of the west, followed by the ATV at 6:42 and the International Sapce Station at 6:43. Weather permitting and yes of course those are A.M. times for Wednesday morning. More details at Nasa/Humanspaceflight/realtimedata/sightingopportunites

Peace

:+}

March 11, 2008 1:49 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I could so get used to this whole, "not being at work thing"...Blog tag is much more fun lol

March 11, 2008 1:58 PM  
Blogger sfoofie opined...

here goes some 'raine blog commenting:
- I never liked Spitzer. now he's "hiding" out in his FIFTH AVE apt. woe is him
- Child is going to have to daily assess goals and organization for the day to keep her focused.
- I love the meez tiara! It was the second thing I noticed (the cocktail being the first) Fabulous.

March 11, 2008 2:06 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Privileged, came from money, politician, asshole.

The child will either get it or not and in the end she will be the one to pay for the lack of if that is how it turns out. All you can do is be the worst mother in the world.

I'd like a glass of red wine please.

March 11, 2008 2:15 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

I was never one to forget to turn in homework, but lately I've forgotten to invoice clients for projects. You'd think that money would be a great incentive, but I still forget. Once the work is actually done, my mind has moved on. Dear Husband would say that my mind has moved somewhere else, somewhere remote, indefinitely.

No doubt The Child will figure something out, since she's the one who takes the fall when she forgets.

March 11, 2008 2:34 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

yes, it's the hypocrisy that chaps my ass. That and the fact that he's a Democrat. I mean, let's be honest ... we were all taking a bit of perverse pleasure in the fact that SO many Repubs were showing that what they SAY they believe is not actually how they live. Well, at least I was taking perverse pleasure. Have I mentioned that hypocrisy chaps my ass? Now that one Dem has gone the way of the Repubs, you know those guys will be all over that, talking about the Immoral Liberals and all. Puke.

And um, sorry about your Constitution...

March 11, 2008 2:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It's not quite as stunning as the one you gave me, Nayb, but yeah, it works.

Barkeep, another round. And some one way tickets to Our Lady of Perpetual Beatings.

Anonyba, I assure you, in this case the fault is all with The Child. And I'll give your regards to 6.

Oooh, shuttle sighting.

True that, Grish.

Sfoof, yeah, hiding out. What an idiot. Have I mentioned I think he's an idiot? He's an idiot.

What The Child needs is a cattle prod to her arse.

Rosie, here's your wine. And some cocktail weiners.

Bad Alice, forgetting money? Now that's just crazy talk. Rosie, get her a glass of wine would you? I've got to talk Cowbell down off the ledge.

Cowbell, get down off the ledge. Your chaps are stunning. Wait...

I know what you mean. The schadenfreude of gay bashing Republicans getting caught being gay, of imposers of "morality" being found in prostitutes' phone books is delightful. But a hypocrite is a hypocrite is a hypocrite. Idiot. Fortunately, the "immoral liberal" label doesn't really hold up against the recent string of Republican frak ups. Some pundit pulls that stunt and it's all "Mark Foley much?"

March 11, 2008 4:06 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I thought Spitzer was involved in a prostitution ring?
At first I thought,
'Well,that's the kind of entrepreneurial spirit that made this country great!'
Then I thought,'If children don't turn in their homework,then we should just sell them to the Gypsies'.
..and then I thought,
'All these things are too much to think about..I really want some black licorice'

March 11, 2008 6:37 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

..and a cocktail. :)

March 11, 2008 6:38 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, here is a paper cone, made up of unturned in assignments, full of Good 'n Plentys.

I'll get your cocktail as soon as I can elbow Grish outta the way...

March 12, 2008 6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home