Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Dream Dream Dream

Last night I dreamt that The Child and I were siblings. I invited her to cycle into town because I wanted to get some lotion. While she was deciding if she wanted to go, Dame Judi asked me to stop and get a pound of bacon for dinner.

I lifted a 2 pound package of bacon off the kitchen counter and said, "We have bacon, Mommy. And there's a pound in the fridge".

"I know", she replied, in that way mothers have who know everything because they do know everything. "And I need another pound of bacon".

I balked and she looked at me oddly. "I'm a little scared, Mom. I'm scared that you think we need 4 pounds of bacon for 3 people".

True.

I've never been one to analyze dreams too much. Dreams are nothing more than the arena where I work out my woes and encounter fantasy. They are comprised of wishes and fears, informed by what I've consciously done or experienced, read, seen or thought about. They are colored by the random bits that float quickly through the transom of my mind, bits so small they don't register to my awake self but which manage to embed themselves in some soft place in my subconscious and transform into something more.

If I'm stuck in Barack Obama's website, it's probably because I've been reading his book and thinking a lot about politics. If I'm on the deck of the Galactica, it's because the new season of BSG is long over due. If I'm dating John Cusack during one of my semi-regular "Celebrity Guest Appearance Dream Weeks", well, who doesn't want to date John Cusack?

Last night's dream makes sense. Engaged, as I am, in the epic challenge of mothers and teen age daughters, it would make perfect sense to seek the safety and security of being a child again, in the home of a mother who always knew what she was doing and never once said "Who needs a cocktail?" or that my subconscious would make my relationship with The Child only slightly less fraught by turning us into a pair of bicycling sibs.

The bacon? Again, as with Mr. Cusack, who doesn't want to date bacon?

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Blogger opined...

Okay, so what does going into town "to get some lotion" mean exactly? Have we encountered another trans-Atlantic misunderstanding?

I hardly ever remember my dreams. I once tried to change this by keeping a dream journal, but I never had anything to write in it. Seriously.

Re: dating bacon. I feel the same way about cheese. Especially if it's melting. Inside a fondue pot.

March 12, 2008 7:27 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Yayy! Is this the first time I've been first?

I should get a lottery ticket today.

March 12, 2008 7:28 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Lotion. Hand cream. Sweet smelling skin conditioner.

And for being first, I award you this steaming pot of fondue and a glass of bone dry Reisling. (Trust, you'll love it with the fondue).

March 12, 2008 7:37 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Weird dream...

Four pounds of bacon for three people. Sounds about right to me.

Aaah, bacon. 'Member the year I gave up all animal products for Lent? I fried up the biggest pan of bacon at 3AM after the Easter vigil. Never again, I tell you...never again. Life without bacon is just a sad, sad affair.

March 12, 2008 8:15 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Weirdest thing about the dream, SCG, was that I was actually frightened by the notion of 4 pounds of bacon for 3 people. Like that would ever happen in real life.

And yes, I remember that Lent. I also seem to recall you eating more than one serving of ham at dinner that night.

March 12, 2008 8:44 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

The bacon dream is obvious Just check here
Bacon Flow Chart

March 12, 2008 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm very happy you dreamed about bacon because it gave us all a valid reason to revisit Eric's bacon flowchart.

March 12, 2008 9:39 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh I am craving bacon so bad right now.

I havent had a dream I could remember in a long time. Could be the pills that knock me out cold.

I hope my neighbor makes bacon tomorrow, I am going to do an early morning pop in.

So that might be the reason you needed 4lbs of bacon...for neighbors who pop in that never buy bacon but love it.

March 12, 2008 10:04 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

He does love his bacon flow chart, JP. It's one of the reasons we love him.

Sageweb, that is undoubtedly true. Bacon is served at 7:15. The coffee will be hot.

March 12, 2008 11:26 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Oh okay... I suppose we'd probably just call it hand cream over here... or maybe we WOULD call it lotion, but we just wouldn't say that we're going into town "to get some lotion". What do I know, I'm not even English. Can you please do your posts in Lower Mongolian from now on?

Big thank you for the fondue and the wine. May I please finish it off with a slice of zesty lemon tart?

March 12, 2008 11:50 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Ok, I had to google the meaning of bacon in dreams. According to some dream master, dreaming of bacon means thinking about essentials, staples, life's supply. I would have guessed it meant smoky salty goodness, but there you go. I better pick up some bacon to go with those jelly beans at the market.

March 12, 2008 1:33 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I've given up on dreams...sleep and awake ones. I haven't had bacon since 2006. I'm 11th....do double ones count for something?

March 12, 2008 1:33 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

ok so I can't count or read....does my number win something?

March 12, 2008 1:34 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I'll take all of the black jelly beans.

March 12, 2008 1:34 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

KA, I would have gone with the salty, smoky goodness definition myself. Bacon and jelly beans...that sounds like a yummy snack.

Rosie, you make me laugh. I won't offer you any bacon but while I fix Dariush his lemon tart I'll get you some black jelly beans, 'k?

March 12, 2008 2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Ah yes, dream control, that was an '79. One of the 3 keys. Funny you'd mention it now?

Peace

:+}

March 12, 2008 2:43 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Bacon--all I can think of now is Homer Simpson. He would never be scared of 4 pounds of bacon.

March 12, 2008 2:52 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Now all I can think of is bacon..BLT's to be exact. If I dream of sandwhich's tonight I'm writing a stern letter to my congressman..:P

March 12, 2008 4:06 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh golly, Anonyba, have I stumbled on the other 2 keys?

No, BA, he certainly wouldn't. Ummmmmm, bacon.

Oh, Grish, now you're talking my lanuage. Big fan of the BLT here.

March 12, 2008 4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Well, if the bacon was thick-cut, then four pounds for three people might--might, I say--be slightly excessive.

If it was that thin-sliced stuff, though, it fries up to almost nuthin' and I can therefore understand the need to augment supplies accordingly.

Damn, I'm hungry...

March 12, 2008 5:39 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Syd, the package that was on the counter was, in fact, the thick cut variety...couldn't agree with you more about the creepy mostly fat stuff that passes for bacon in most supermarkets. Pft.

March 12, 2008 5:54 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

Bacon AND John Cusack? When I start dreaming, I'd like to borrow your dreams before I sign on any dotted line or anything. Please.

March 12, 2008 6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home