Thursday, March 06, 2008

I've Got Blisters on Me Fingers!

As The Spouse announced yesterday, we now own "Guitar Hero". And last night he brought home a second guitar so we can have bands.

Hi. My name is Lorraine and I'm addicted to digital crack.

I used to play guitar for real. I was only ever tolerable. I had a small repertoire of songs and could hold my own in jamming sessions around assorted campfires or what-have-you, provided the songs were your basic C-G-D sorts of tunes. (Which thankfully, most rock and folk songs are). I always had trouble with F and I never, ever figured out bar chords. Also, I pretty much had one strum, which either sped up or slowed down depending on the tune. Finger picking? Are you kidding.



I was a hack.

But I enjoyed it.

The thing about playing the guitar, though, is that it takes some time to build up callouses on your fingertips. Whenever I'd first start out (I gave it up, then took it up again a couple of times) there was a unique pain that accompanied me in the first weeks of playing, a kind of tingling bruised feeling that reminded me constantly that I was playing guitar. Over time it would subside until I could play for hours without discomfort. It was just part of the deal; you have to press your soft, delicate flesh pretty hard against a steel string in order for it to sound right. It was part of the pain and sacrifice of being a musician. (Which is a way loftier word for what I was but you get the point).

Now, again, the tips of my fingers hurt. It's silly, because in "Guitar Hero" you don't have strings. You just push buttons. And you don't have to push them hard to accomplish the task and hit the "notes". But some things are just instinctive. When I've got my axe slung on and am rocking my tentative way through "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" I push down on those buttons like they are steel strings and consequently, my fingertips hurt. (Ouch, she said as she typed. Ouch).

The Spouse is probably expecting today's video to be Foghat's "Slow Ride" (at which I'm pretty good. On the easy level). But no. I'm playing another one of those songs that you totally know because snippets of it have been used to sell stuff. Which could make it over used and annoying but I happen to find it very fresh and fun.

It is, according to the band, a song about just being silly and crazy and letting loose. I felt compelled to mention that. Because I know how some of you think.



Caesars "Jerk It Out"

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Sooner or later, you gotta film yourself playing and post the beauty that is your flying fingers of magic - yes, I did just say that.

March 07, 2008 8:44 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Yes a video of you rockin would be delightful. I am thinking about getting the Guitar Hero for my Wii. I am afraid of addiction though and the sun and warmth is calling my name. hmmm maybe I could set it up outside.

March 07, 2008 9:39 AM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

We solved a big part of my mandolin fingertip pain by (is there a drum roll on this thing?) - getting new strings. Go figure. Suddenly, I have kind of the girlie version. don't care if anyone accuses me of anything. I don't care. My fingers feel fuckloads better and frankly, that's what counts. (Shit. I thought I had an alliteration thing going there, but I could have only sustained it with another fuck and I know this is a family blog.)

Can you get new buttons?

March 07, 2008 10:02 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I, too, want to see a video of you rockin' out. Do your best Nancy Wilson impression.

I tried learning the guitar but when it came time to do the F chord, I thought, "You gotta be kidding me!"

The F chord is SO much easier on the piano.

March 07, 2008 10:52 AM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

we are not allowing ourselves to buy guitar hero. lives would lay in deluded-rockstar ruins.

for now i shall live vicariously through your rockin' adventures. or until our child, now young adult (he's old enough to vote!), decides to purchase it with his own money...yes!!!

March 07, 2008 10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Notenow)

I figured it out. You can get rich easily and quickly. How.
Thanks for asking. By doing what comes naturally, but with just a little more planning.

Peace

:+}

March 07, 2008 10:55 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It'll be later, KA. I gotta get one of these songs nailed, first. I'm not going to inflict an 89% version of "Slow Ride" on anyone!

Sageweb, we have the Wii version. Just saying.

Booda, had I known there was a girlie version of steel strings, I'd probably still be playing the guitar. Who knew? Sadly, the buttons are what they are. It's me acting like it's a real guitar and not a fancy controller that's the problem.

Nancy Wilson? Crap. Now I have to master "Barracuda".

Danny, you are wise. This morning as The Spouse left he said, "You need to practise sleeping until noon". I was all "Huh?". "You know, so you can live the rock star life", said he. Oh yeah. That's me. A rock star. Pft.

March 07, 2008 10:57 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

I add my vote to the video evidence.

I learned to play "Louie Louie" and "Wild Thing" on the bass and electric guitars at the Experience Music Project. That was one badass afternoon. And the extent of my guitaring.

March 07, 2008 11:38 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

I'm mortified to admit I had never actually played a video game until the Hurricane got Guitar Hero for christmas..

Personally I prefer to do it when no one is around so I don't have to get ribbed, and so I can sing along as loud as I want ;)

So, is there some sort of 12 step program for this or something???

March 07, 2008 1:10 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

I'm so out of it I've never even heard of Guitar Hero. I don't dare bring anything like this into our house or the girls might never see the outdoors again

March 07, 2008 2:11 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Rock it! Rock now. Rock.

March 07, 2008 4:13 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I use a wonderful spray-on product for the relief of fingertip pain.
It has the unfortunate name,'Finger Ease'..no kidding.
Everytime I get it at my local music shop,I feel like my big sister sent me to the store to buy tampons.

We simply must see video of your guitar heroism!

March 07, 2008 5:23 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

You are just the most talented lady...today Seattle, tomorrow, San Diego. Wait, will your playing gigs get in the way of blogging? Forget it....you need to save your fingers for the keyboard.

March 07, 2008 7:52 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I have had a half a dozen guitars, currently have one sitting behind me and couldn't play to save my life:P

One of those things I still think I'll learn one day...

March 08, 2008 2:05 AM  
Blogger Leah opined...

I've only played once. I got booed off stage, which was disappointing, because I totally thought I'd rock :(

BTW,the good news is that I recently heard that "they" are thinking of adding video games to the long list of addictions, so your medical insurance will soon cover a video-crack rehab program.

March 08, 2008 6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm just giddy over Booda's choice of the word "fuckloads". I'm just certain it needs to be added to my list of daily things to say.
Carry on...

March 08, 2008 1:46 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Yeah a video of you on Guitar Hero and Hat could turn all our avatars into something cool and we could sell it to MTV and all become rich, debauched and disorderly! Well at least the rich part would be new.

March 08, 2008 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home