Wednesday, March 05, 2008

I Want John King's Map and I Want it Now

Top of the ninth, Obama slams a home run to make it 12 in a row. Hillary comes up in the bottom of the inning, 2 men on, and hits a little piffer...just to to the fence, but it was enough to bring in the two on the bags as she rounded the bases. Extra innings!

"Uh, Lorraine?" you say. "He still has more delegates than she does. She hardly tied it up. And they still don't have numbers from the Texas caucuses".

"I know", says me. "I'm horrible at sports analogies. But baseball, politics and apple pie, baby, that's the American trifecta right there".
"Uh, that's another sports analogy. Now you're mixing metaphors. Are you sure you were an English major?" says you.

"I said there was pie!" says me

"Oh!" says you, grinning,"Excellent!"

John King's map is the coolest thing in the world. It's like a giant iPhone programmed just for politics. I want to play with it so bad I can't stand it. CNN should have some kind of contest where the winner gets to come for one election night and mess around with the map. And I should win that contest so I can say things like, "Now, having said that, Wolf, let's look at what happens if Obama does well in Pennsylvania" and then I get to touch the state and it expands and turns all dark blue and everything. Man, that would just be the coolest EVER.

OK, so all I have is an Excel spreadsheet and the way I see it, Obama has to win all the remaining contests by 80% or better before he racks up enough delegates to clinch the nomination. And even I know that isn't going to happen.

Nope, this one is going all the way to the convention, unless one of them has a serious misstep before then. And considering that Hillary has been deemed down for the count 3 times already...."Thef y gur agur", says you. "Please, stop talking with your mouthful," says me...we're talking about a misstep that will necessarily have to be of gargantuan proportion.

So what does that mean, sports fans?

It means that for the first time in a long time, every state has a legitimate say in the outcome of the primary season. Every vote, from Guam to Pennsylvania to Oregon to Wyoming is going to matter to the candidates. That is what democracy looks like.

It means we aren't going to get any relief from the talk of superdelegates and the fear of a brokered convention. Now, if by "brokered" we mean delegates on the floor, arguing the thing out and swapping votes, like at a caucus, I say 'bring it on'. If, by "brokered" we mean superdelegates with cigars in a back room with Howard Dean, that would suck. (Love me some Dean, don't get me wrong. But I really hope that a guy who was the first to understand the power of the grassroots in the age of the internets doesn't forget that this is about the will of the people, not "what's best for the party" as determined by a bunch of suits. I should probably write him a letter).

There are only two people right now who should be concerned about what's best for the party. And their names are Hillary and Barack. Whatever they do, however they proceed from here on out should be done in such a way that we don't have to call in a Hazmet crew before we can unify around the candidate.

Mike Huckabee conceded last night. It was gracious. He quoted too much Scripture (which made me thankful that he conceded because while I am quite the fan of the Bible, I do not generally enjoy it being quoted at me by politicians). He noted that the contest with McCain had been respectful and civil, far more so than the contest between the Democrats. He's right about that and both camps, Clinton's particularly, need to make a note of it.

Oh, sure, I know that there is going to be credence now that "going negative" is what helped her win last night. Gawd, I hope that's not true. If the only way she thinks she can beat this guy is by being aggressive and negative, that says way more than I like about the kind of person she is. Last night The Spouse described the Clintons as "terriers". And he didn't mean that in a cute, fuzzy way. He went on to suggest that it is that "sink in your teeth and shake it till it's dead" thing is part of what so many on the other side find objectionable about the Clintons. He could be right about that.

The pressure will be on Obama to fight back, to return negative for negative or worse yet, to go on the offensive and dig up crap. Lord, spare us. The GOP will just be sitting on the sidelines taking notes for the general. We cannot give them fuel to the fire.

Hillary, Hillary, Hillary PLEASE play nice. Tell us what you want to do, by all means, but please do not drag Obama through the mud to do it. Because, whether you like it or not, this guy is the future of our party. If he doesn't win he'll be back in 4 or 8 years to run again. Please, for the love of apple pie, puleeeeeeeze keep the big picture in mind. I'm beggin' here, Hills.

Hello? Is this thing on?

Dammit.

Anymorass, the pundits were saying last night what an advantage McCain has now, with months to "introduce himself" to the public and "solidify his message". Whatever. A) America knows who John McCain is and 2) I still maintain that a contest that includes every state in the Union is not a bad thing for the Democrats. There's a whole lotta party building going on right now and we're going to need that machine in the general. Let's remember that this contest isn't just about getting a Democrat in the White House. It's also about increasing the Democratic majority so that no matter who wins, we can actually get something done. (This is very important if we want things like universal health care to become a reality. It's critical if McCain wins...particularly if we are going to get out of Iraq in my lifetime).

Meanwhile, McCain is going to go have lunch with Bush and then have a make-out session with him in the Rose Garden. Getting George W Bush's endorsement. Wow. That's kinda like Lynn Spears nominating you for Mother of the Year.

Last night The Child was watching McCain's acceptance speech and she noted that he seemed nice. "Yep," I said, "and if that nice man is elected, your sweet ass will be going over to Iraq in 4 years". She blanched. I do think it is important to note that those of us with kids and grandkids (plus nieces, nephews and family friends) of a certain age best be very wary of a man who insists that staying in Iraq for 100 years is a good idea, unless you're really willing to serve up your baby for that particular cause. Because I'm telling you right now, we don't have the military to sustain even a few more years over there, let alone 100. The draft will have to be reinstated. And this time girls will go, too.

Still fine with McCain? That's what I thought.

On another note, why is it the President swears to uphold the Constitution on the religious book of his/her choice? Shouldn't the President swear to uphold the Constitution on the Constitution?

Also, apparently Hills hinted this morning that she's open to sharing the ticket with Barack. The more I think about it, that's exactly what should happen. They are both strong candidates with a ton to offer. Give the top spot to the person with the most delegates and let the other one ride shotgun. Win/win.

And finally, two towns in Vermont last night voted to order the police to arrest Bush and/or Cheney if they ever come to town. The crime? Not upholding the Constitution. Now there's a city ordinance I'd get behind.

Theme Song for the Day:


Queen "I Want It All"

The pie will be ready this afternoon. Bring a fork.

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Doralong opined...

*Getting George W Bush's endorsement. Wow. That's kinda like Lynn Spears nominating you for Mother of the Year.*

That's the single funniest thing I have read in a very, very long time! My keyboard is now toast, thanks Cuz.

My heathen ass is praying for a civil and issue driven run down to the convention. I know it's a lot to hope for, but come on we have a woman and an african-american man as the front runners, it really could happen!

March 05, 2008 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I love the joint-ticket concept. Because I do think Obama could be the future, just not the present. But 4 or 8 years as a veep would clinch it for me. (Not to mention, Hillary will need all of his votes come November, should it come to that.)

March 05, 2008 10:04 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Lovely post. I don't think I use the word lovely enough. I also wish and dream for the two of them to join forces. That would be lovely.

March 05, 2008 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Isn't Sageweb lovely?
(clutches fork)
I would like some lovely pie now, please.

March 05, 2008 10:41 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 05, 2008 11:02 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

it's afternoon on the east coast...is the pie ready? quite an evening. i was watching when abc/charles gibson announced ohio was going to hillary. this morning all of the crap was flying about how this division hurts the dems....STFU. i am not listening to the news again...or not until tomorrow at least.

March 05, 2008 11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

I think its great, again. We need you to write a book. Serious.
Now to business, as a Flower Child of the Love Generation I am very disappointed in both. Where is the J word? Justice for the environment, Justice for the children, Justice for the worker the homeowner the dark the light the male the female JUSTICE!!!!

Lawyers and Women wheres the dirty hippies when ya need em?
In jail.

Peace

:+}

March 05, 2008 11:03 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

You are so right about swearing on the Constitution. Instead of all the destroying of it that has been attempted of late. I'd love a joint ticket but I can't really see either of them really willing to be numero dos. Frankly, as much as I love me Obama, it would make more sense for him to be Veep and knock the whole "he doesn't have enough experience" thing to the curb. We'd be guaranteed 16 democratic years ahead, or so my wishful thinking little brain thinks.

March 05, 2008 11:27 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

The replacement keyboard is in the mail, Cuz.

Yeah,JP. The thing I really don't want to see is one of them picking some asshat (like when Gore picked Lieberman) to "balance" the ticket. Screw that.

And you know, Sageweb, I've been meaning to tell you what a lovely blue cap that is.

Here's a plate, Hat.

But Rosie, you're not ON the east coast. You have to wait. I swear I'll save some pie for you from that greedy daughter of yours. You remember what happened last time...

You're an old hippy and you're not in jail, Anonyba. Maybe you should run for sumpthin.

It's true, KA. Although, for my money, if the experience we're talking about is the jaded, cynical stuff that's coming from both Clinton and McCain, uh, thank you, I'll pass. I saved you a piece of pie.

March 05, 2008 1:22 PM  
Blogger Jason Boskey opined...

A joint ticket is a deathwish for the person heading the ticket.

He/she will be trading his/her life for the election.

March 05, 2008 1:55 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Awww, that's a little cynical, Bosk. I think you need some extra sugar on your pie.

March 05, 2008 3:02 PM  
Blogger Dtodd opined...

Not sure why, but I'd be seriously disappointed in Obama if he accepted an offer to be Vice Presidential nominee. And I think Hill and Bill would rather live back in Little Rock than accept a running mate offer. Nice description of the Clintons as terriers.

March 05, 2008 3:44 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

And the pie is where? See, here's my fork and I have a paper plate too.

March 05, 2008 3:52 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dant, I think you need some vanilla ice cream on your pie. I hate when readers fret.

Rosie, I actually made two pies. One is just for you because I love you so much.

March 05, 2008 8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Soooooo, whens the book coming out?
Sign me up!!

Peace

:+}

March 06, 2008 12:17 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Everyones..comments...are...so...witty...must be...more..creative...

March 06, 2008 2:18 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

*Clink* [slams shot]

You know, I've about had it with how Hillary's been conducting her campaign lately. It took me a while and a lot of research to decide between the two of them, and even once I'd decided, I still had positive feelings toward Clinton. But the contrast between what she has shown the last couple of weeks, and what he has shown ... my estimation of her has dropped like a rock.

She has gone so negative, which is expected in a campaign to a certain extent, but the way she's gone about it has left me disgusted, to be frank. And he has given us a peek into how he'd handle things -- she hasn't been able to ruffle him, or goad him into responding in kind. He has not only remained cool headed, he has had many positive things to say about her when the media pushes him to jump into the fray. He hasn't taken the bait.

I heard a caller on the radio say the other day, "In the past couple of weeks, I've seen about 5 Hillary Clintons, but I've only seen 1 Obama. I'm going for him." You said it, Radio Man.

And now we're back to looking at the superdelegates having that measure of control ... ugh. (Especially since I saw the story on that 21yr old superdelegate! What? A 21yr old gets the voice of 14,000 regular voters? How does that even happen?)

I can't see Hillary being Barack's #2, I don't think she'd go for it. And with what she's shown me lately, I don't want her to be #1 anymore. I'll vote for her if it goes that way, but I will now be holding my nose, which was not the case a few weeks ago.

We need to stop the bickering, and think about the big picture, like you said. I'm thinking now that friends who told me that Hills was just "old politics as usual" were onto something. I disagreed before, but now, it's looking that way. We're just giving McCain breathing room -- time to raise funds and take a rest while he gets himself right with his own party.

OK, I know that was a really long rant, but ... well, you know.

March 06, 2008 12:23 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

PS: I meant to say YES also to the map thing! I have been lusting after those maps like a jonesing junkie! I wish they'd make a computer version, but then, why would we need to watch the news guys?

March 06, 2008 12:26 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You are very encouraging, Anonyba. Thank you.

Grish, you get points just for showing up. Missed you, dude.

Rant away, Cowbell. Clinks back atcha.

March 06, 2008 3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I am also horrible at sports analogies, especially when it comes to superdelegates and such!

I enjoyed your baseball pie trifecta trifecta regardless. Here's my crack at a
boxing metaphor.
Touchdown!

March 09, 2008 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home