Thursday, October 11, 2007

Bestowing Honors

I suspect that it is very exciting to win things. I once put my business card in a drawing and won an Easter basket full of Godiva chocolate. That was pretty thrilling so I can only imagine how these folks (and personal heroes) must be feeling:


Doris Lessing, 2007 Nobel Prize for Literature


I'm particularly fond of Lessing's short stories because that's how I first discovered her and also because as hard as it is for me to write any sort of fiction at all (to the point of, you know, not even bothering), I am in awe of those who can create poignant, amusing, ironic or even somewhat twisted tales with an economy of language in a very few pages.

Al Gore, 2007 Nobel Peace Prize

Never mind that Al Gore has helped millions of regular people understand the problem of global warming or that he is a fiercely committed and passionate kinda guy. He is also really funny. I love me some funny guys.
(I detect a faint bee-like sound around this Nobel...that it will induce him into the Democratic race. Hello? Really? Why would he do that? Seriously. He's got a frakking Oscar and now a Nobel to place on his mantel. Why in the world would he want to be President of the United States now? He can do far more good in his current situation and I think he knows that.)

The Neighbor, most recent inductee into the Exalted Order of the Koihead.

Maker of Italian ice tea, sounding board, cheerleader, prayer partner, bringer- home- to- me- of- little- presents- just- because, Best Friend. I believe that merits a koihead. At least.

(For the record, she has been jet-setting entirely too much lately and if she doesn't stay put for a while I'm going to get seriously cranky).

Congratulations Doris, Al and Neighb. Well done. I salute you.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

All I can say is "Run, Al, Run". This has all the makings of a Shakespearean plot. The good king is usurped, goes off to slay the dragon of Global Warming, comes back triumphant while the bad king has withered the kingdom. The good king rallies the subjects and takes back what is rightfully his. Yes, I've been watching a lot of Errol Flynn movies lately. But, please Al, run for pity sake. Gore/Obama sounds might-y nice.

October 12, 2007 7:37 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ok, well, when you put it that way, Kimberly Ann...crap, you got me all excited now.

October 12, 2007 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Congratulations, The Neighbor!

Now is the time when we do our little Koi dance.

October 12, 2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

tippity tippity shuffle shuffle hop

October 12, 2007 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Gosh, I'm speechless. Yet -

I'm deeply honored to accept this award on behalf of all the little people who, while remaining little, will most likely, continue to become even more little as I become even more esteemed.

You like me. You really like me.

I look so good in red.

Humbly,

The Nayb

October 12, 2007 10:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Congrats to The Neighbor! And I love Doris Lessing too! I too am in awe of those who can spin their magic with such precise word imagery.

I am most jealous about that Easter basket full of Godiva chocolate, though. Did you horde it to yourself? I would have.

October 12, 2007 10:53 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You're very welcome, Nayb. Now stop leaving town.

October 12, 2007 4:05 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

As a matter of fact, Gina, I DID horde the Godiva basket in a very hordy way.

October 12, 2007 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home