Friday, September 21, 2007

Who Had 16 in the Pool?

Today is such an important day.

16 years ago The Spouse and I were married, by full Catholic rites in a beautiful cathedral on a sun drenched autumnal afternoon. And then we ate cold cuts and apple pie and danced to rock and roll music until the wee hours of the next morning.

I don't know if I've told you the story but The Spouse and I hadn't been dating all that long when we became engaged. It had been so brief a courtship, in fact, that most of my friends hadn't even met him yet. And visa versa. Consequently, we have always suspected that there was a bit of betting going on at our reception. Surely such a whirlwind thing couldn't last.

I'm thinking that we beat all the odds within the first 6 months of our marriage but maybe someone out there had faith that we had what it took.

And here we are and he still makes me laugh and I still love him and he's even cuter now than he was when I married him and I mean, seriously, what are the odds of that happening?
It's been a blissful 16 years, except for the bits that have sucked but you know what? That's what marriage is: working through the suckage so you can get back to the bliss. Sometimes we feel more like room-mates then lovers and then in one instant I'm looking at him and it all changes again. He's my friend, my lover, my supporter, my hero, the father of my child and the best decision I ever made.

Happy anniversary, Pookie.




Once upon a time, I think it was in January, JP and I were talking about the friendship we have developed since meeting in Blogtopia, about how it was a real friendship even though we'd never met, about how we tell each other stuff that we don't necessarily tell other people, like that. And he said something like, "You are one of my best friends and that's true even if we never meet, even though I hope we will".

Well, he's one of my best friends, too, and now we really are going to meet. Having been through this virtual-buddy-to-real-person thing a few times now, I know what to expect. There will be one requisite moment of panic, probably somewhere along the time when I'm scrubbing the bathtub and hoping that he finds it clean enough, when I'll wonder if he'll be disappointed when he meets me. (Oddly, it won't ever occur to me that he might disappoint me. Then the panic will subside into a "I'm sure it'll be fine" sort of feeling and then, a few hours later, I'll be at the airport, and just like when I was going to meet Buck for the first time I'll start getting all butterfly-y and giggly and then I'll see him and give him a giant hug and from then on it will be just like all our emails and phone conversations over the past nearly 2 years only better because he'll actually be here.

JP is going to be in my house. MY house, people. The word "superfantastic" springs to mind.



One amusing story and then I gotta run. Last night at dinner we were discussing various game plans for the weekend and The Spouse said something about taking JP with him downtown to "run an errand" so he could show him the city a little bit and I was all, "Well, you can't have him for that long because we have videos to play and hanging out to do and stuff and I'll be really mad if you take him off for hours and hours so I can't be with him" and The Child got all pouty and even starting crying about how we were going to get more time with Uncle JP than she was and how it wasn't fair and blah blah blah.

"You'll see him right after school and you're going to dinner with us tonight. He's going to be in our house, for crying out loud. You'll get plenty of time with him".

"Well, it's still not fair. He's MY uncle, after all".

Right. So an hour or so later The Boyfriend calls to invite her to a concert. Tonight. I hear her say she can't because her uncle is going to be in town. Then she looks at me, sorta plaintively and I said, "If you'd rather go to the concert than out to dinner with us you may".

She's going to the concert.

She still loves Uncle JP. Just not as much as she loves the idea of going to a concert with The Boyfriend. Just saying.

Kids.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I'm sitting here at work having a wonderful laugh over that story. Oh, to be 13 again. . .
And yes, I remember our wonderful airport meeting. Hearts fluttering and all. Can't wait to do it again.
Congratulations to you and the Spouse.

September 21, 2007 7:47 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

By the way, will the SLUT be working if I come to Seattle next month? I so wanna do the SLUT.

September 21, 2007 7:49 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I am SO giddy with anticipation of the actual meeting.... it feels like a long time buildup that we have all been fortunate to watch for years.

I can't wait to hear the stories!

September 21, 2007 7:58 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Happy Anniversary, Lorraine & Spouse. And enjoy your visit with your heretofore-virtual-but-no-less-vital friend. We'll be reading ...

September 21, 2007 8:06 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Buck. And I'm sorry...it's early...what is this SLUT of which you speak?

Twisi, I'm giddy, too. How will we get anything done today?

Thanks, Red. And enjoyment will be had. We'll try to keep you posted...unless we're enjoying ourselves too much.

September 21, 2007 8:12 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

congratulations on your bliss! I know you are going to have like the best weekend ever! and yes...im green with envy and wish i could be there.

September 21, 2007 9:14 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks for the good wishes, Mouse. And I so wish you could be here, too!

September 21, 2007 9:15 AM  
Blogger Carly opined...

Hey Lorraine, it's Minogue... Take care of my friend JP. Hope you all have a super-fantastic time hanging out! :)

September 21, 2007 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Happy Anniversary Lorraine and spouse and have a great time with JP.Can't wait to hear all about your weekend

September 21, 2007 10:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Happy Anniversary Lorraine & Eric! Congrats on 16 years, and my there be at least 16 more in your future. As for meeting JP in real life, you suck! I want to be there! I'm finding myself green with envy once again. And The Child...how perfect. I totally remember how that felt when I was a teen in love. *Sigh*

Again, heartfelt congratulations to you two!

September 21, 2007 10:27 AM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

happy anniversary! show my boy jp a great time so that my envy will be valid =)

September 21, 2007 11:09 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hey, Minogue! I promise I'll take good care of him for you.

Thanks so much, Dena. And I expect there will be lots to report!

Thanks, Gina. It was fun talking to you today...thanks for alleviating the boredom of the DOL! And don't be jealous...you don't look as lovely in that shade of envy green...a nice shade of blue is more your style, methinks.

Validation of Monica's envy underway in 3 hours. Mark.

September 21, 2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

The SLUT is the South Lake Union Trolley. A new streetcar line that's supposed to open soon.

September 21, 2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ah, the SLUT...sure...and just so's you know, waiting on public transportation projects in Seattle is like waiting for peace to break out in the Middle East...theoretically possible but something you don't count on seeing in your own lifetime!

September 21, 2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Congratulations on the anniversary!
You are a great couple, and a model for us.

Have fun this weekend!

September 21, 2007 4:01 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Congrats on the anniversary -- not so common these days. My dad told me he's give me wedding present on my first anniversary -- his way of saying he didn't think we'd make it htat far. We made it past 10, but I never did get the present, ha! Probably just as well.

Please channel our blogosphere hugs to JP!

September 21, 2007 7:37 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Anniversary!..Birthday!...JP!!..This is a Bonanza of epic proportions!
Happy all of the above lorraine. :)

..Is it called the SLUT because it isn't even in operation yet,and the tracks have already been laid?

September 21, 2007 9:01 PM  
Blogger Suzanne opined...

Happy Happy Anniversary!! Wow 16 yrs already? How time flies when you're in love!

September 24, 2007 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home