Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Musical Interlude

If you read JP's blog you already know this. If you don't, then I'm going to tell you. After almost 9 months of playing videos over at "Here's the 80s", we are nearing the finish line. We've played over 3,000 music videos, across the spectrum of stylings. We've played the classics, we've discovered some new-to-us bands, dug deeper into ones we knew about but didn't really follow at the time (that would be The Cure and The Smiths for me, to name just 2). It's been a great run but we're running out of tunes.

I challenge you to find another website anywhere on the interwebs that has the scope of ours (not to mention one that a) looks as hot or 2) contains the level of brilliantly witty writing). It really is a superfantastic little time capsule from the Decade of Excess and we're darned proud of it. But it's getting to be time to move on. So we decided to cap off our experiment by playing our Top 100 videos. And when I say "we" I mean he's playing his and I'm playing mine. And when I say "Top 100" I mean our personal favorites. There are a scant handful of songs that will appear on both our lists but otherwise, these are the songs that mean "the eighties" to us. We started the countdown last night: the plan is to finish off with our top 20 or so when we're both in the same city, fighting over my laptop. (Which, btw, is something I am very much looking forward to doing). So over the next few days there is going to be some terrific music pushing it's way back up to the top of the blog. You owe it to yourself to check it out. JP made nifty banners for it and everything. It's hot.



The Child's class has been charged with each writing to 3 celebrities to invite them to come speak at the school. I think it's more an exercise in writing proper business type letters than anything but The Child is, of course, already fantasizing about what it will be like when all 3 of her people accept the invitation. She's going to be writing to Miley Cyrus (Billy Ray's kid, who is now a pop star in her own right. She plays Hannah Montana on the Disney Channel. There. Now you're in the know). She's also going to write to Bob Dylan and Bono. I'm so proud.

Last night she was asking me questions about Bono. She's heard of him, heard us talk about him, but she wanted to know more. "I don't even know what he looks like," she said. I realized there was a gap in her education. I her to tthe club and told her to click on "New Year's Day".

"Oh!" she exclaimed. "He is soooo cute!"

Yay.

Then she listened to the song. "OH! I love this song!" And she began singing along.

My work here is done.



"New Year's Day" U2

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh would you just DIE if he showed up?! (Hat joins The Child in mad fantastical imaginings)

September 18, 2007 10:07 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Shhhh. Yes. Yes I would. I would plotz and then I would die. I've already imagined him joining us for dinner.

Don't tell The Child.

September 18, 2007 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I was just over visiting at your club, and I think it's the most superfantastickest thing ever and I'm going to tell all my friends and write blogs about it and put up links to it and I won't stop until the entire world knows about it.

Yeah, it's that good.

September 18, 2007 10:10 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dear Not JP,

Thanks for checking it out! I'm so glad you liked it. You sound like a superfantastic person. Would you like to come to my birthday party?

September 18, 2007 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

sure, why not?

September 18, 2007 10:30 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Excellent. Tell me, do you like okra?

September 18, 2007 10:30 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

The Child made some excellent choices. And I can't wait to see the "Top 100" lists for each of you. I'm crossing my fingers that Voice of the Beehive makes an appearance somewhere!

September 18, 2007 11:08 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Hum, you could start on the 70's you know....it was a good decade...Jackson, Joni, the Eagles....I know they were around in the 60's too and my decade may be a bit off but I seem to remember good music back then.

Your daughter had good, eclectic taste....well rounded.

I was trying to talk Steve into dropping me off at your place Saturday....cause if we drove for 24 hours straight I could be there on time....he said no. I am sad.

September 18, 2007 11:30 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Wow! The Child's eclectic sensibilities are most impressive.

September 18, 2007 2:17 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

ahhh writing to the stars ... very cool

September 18, 2007 7:15 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Yes, the child likes U2.
You can now retire to France and paint.

September 18, 2007 8:14 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

You guys have done nothing less than set the standard for music video websites.Period.
..Viacom are bastards!

September 18, 2007 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

the child has excellent taste... and i'd absolutely lurve it if they all three showed up ! wattathrillski...

September 19, 2007 6:29 AM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

Would be so great if Bob Dylan came to visit- he did a concert in Glasgow last year that we missed and had wanted to see. Your girl is growing up fast- smiled at the comment on Bono- l remember listening to U2 ;) Your 80's site is fantastic- saw many artists l remembered. Mad hair styles and clothing- massive shoulder pads- everything in 'excess' as you say- l smiled at that.
hope you're keeping well Lorraine- has been a busy past few weeks this end.

September 19, 2007 7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home